• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

HULU Opinions Please

hawk52

Seriously considering cutting out the cable 100%. I looked at YOUTUBE TV, but can't get live local with them in my area. HULU does offer it and price is the same $40/month. YT TV offers unlimited DVR, HULU 50 hours. Can manage that. As far as stations beyond the locals either will fulfill our needs.
So, opinions on quality, support if needed, and any other items. Thanks.

I think DirecTVNow has the better overall service at their intro pricing. Their cloud DVR is also launching soon. I have it and supplement it with Hulu (commercial-free). I don’t have anything to complain about for the Hulu app that I am using.

^ I don’t know the answer to that, I do get Philly locals here. Maybe you can enter your zip code on their site and find out.

I have Hulu and DTV Now and I consider them very different services.

DTV Now is really a live TV replacement. The bulk of its content is live streams of what you’d get from a regular cable provider. The on-demand content is pretty sparse. Typically only two or three random episodes. So not having DVR capability is a drawback but should be available soon.

Hulu is all about on demand content. They have a ton more on-demand available but it may be a week, weeks, or even a season or two behind what’s available live.

When I looked online at Hulu’s site, it looked like they’re trying to offer (Beta) a competitive product comparable to SlingTV, DirecTVNow, etc....$39.99/mo for 50+ channels and then some add-ons.

When I looked online at Hulu’s site, it looked like they’re trying to offer (Beta) a competitive product comparable to SlingTV, DirecTVNow, etc....$39.99/mo for 50+ channels and then some add-ons.
Yea that is what I am looking at. Says beta but it is up and running. Really no risk as you can cancel anytime. Curious about video quality?
I did not check Sling. Will but no local no deal.

Assuming you’ve got decent internet speeds the PQ should be fine.

Yeah ... I’m not using Hulu for live streams but the PQ of the on-demand stuff is good.

We got YouTube TV to watch holiday programming and the Olympics. It is pretty solid, for the most part, despite some early picture quality struggles that are mostly resolved.

I love that it ties in with our Google Family stuff, so up to five family members can use it with their Google accounts. This is a nice feature for us because we also use Google Play Music and YouTube Red.

Last edited:
We got YouTube TV to watch holiday programming and the Olympics. It is pretty solid, for the most part, despite some early picture quality struggles that are mostly resolved.

I love that it ties in with our Google Family stuff, so up to five family members can use it with their Google accounts. This is a nice feature for us because we also use Google Play Music and YouTube Red.
Thanks this would be my preferred solution. Again it comes down to the locals. I signed up for updates on the offering of local stations being offered.

I was happy to give up the local stations. The only local broadcasts I care about are news and weather, and I get all of that, and in greater depth and variety, free and online.

Back