• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Hum from my Amp, solution...Emotiva CMX-2

Not from a marketing stand point but from a design and quality standpoint, where does the B&K vs. ATI stack up?
I can't really go into specifics about that. Suffice to say that all amplifiers we make have the same quality and build standard.

Ah.......I just went to the B&K website. Product offering has totally changed.

This line no longer has conventional Power Amps.

Ah.......I just went to the B&K website. Product offering has totally changed.

This line no longer has conventional Power Amps.
Huh....I haven't ever seen the website. At any rate, the products on the page that I've been working on are the MRA 16.75+, and HTA 7.150. Its mostly whole-house type audio.

I wasn't able to get down to see you Rammis, obviously, I'll let you know when I can.

I cannot wait to hear your thoughts on this.
Well, with the value of capacitors that they use, it places around 0.56 ohms in series with the AC power. For reference, that is about what we use in series with the AC line to limit startup current when an amp is first switched on, while the capacitor banks charge up. A relay removes this current limiting thermistor after around 8 seconds in our amps. With a DC blocker like the Emotiva, that current limit is always in the circuit, and will rob a power amp of some of its maximum power capability.

Also, that loss is about the equivalent of roughly 500' of 12 gauge Romex house wiring.

While an end user will likely never notice the hit in maximum power since amps are rarely driven that hard, the loss is nevertheless there. Use a DC blocker only as a last resort after all other remedies have been tried.

Will this lead to increased amp noise at a given speaker SPL. In other words, since the amp has to work harder at a given SPL will this not effectively elevate the noise floor? Obviously (I would hope) not to the point where the cure is worse than the disease.

Jeff

Will this lead to increased amp noise at a given speaker SPL. In other words, since the amp has to work harder at a given SPL will this not effectively elevate the noise floor? Obviously (I would hope) not to the point where the cure is worse than the disease.

Jeff
No, it should not affect the amplifier in any other way than limiting the AC line voltage under heavy load when the amplifier is trying to reach full output. Its the same thing as if you placed a variac on the AC line and dialed down the voltage a bit at the loudest points of the program; there is less AC voltage and thus the DC rails inside the amplifier are a bit lower (these rails are never regulated). The amplifier is not "working harder"; it could give a shit - it just won't output as much at full power. Instead of being a "200 watt" per channel amplifier, it just becomes a "150 watt" per channel amplifier. Modern power amplifiers act very much like regular Op-Amps in that the voltage rails (within limits) just determine the maximum voltage that can be output. Parameters like overall gain, noise and such are not really affected by the rails voltage.

Back