• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Hum

Keith, I carried a hum eliminator similar to this:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HumX
... back in my live music days. Sometimes it worked, but occasionally it didn't. They also make something similar called a ground lift but they're not necessarily safe (although some pre-pros, even receivers don't have a ground plug; does yours?) Good luck, hums can be a bitch. :|

Zing said:
heeman said:
...it could have been here all along, however with the high efficiency speakers it is now audible!
I'm thinking ^ this. All amps emit some amount of buzzing. But what threw me was the fact that you said your friend didn't notice it (or at least say anything about it) the first time he was there. So that made me think it was something new that transpired since that first visit of his.

Connect your Quarts and see if the hum diminishes or disappears.

Vera's are long gone, but I could drag a Paradigm in there and see if it is audible.

heeman said:
Vera's are long gone, but I could drag a Paradigm in there and see if it is audible.
They're a lot more efficient than the Veras but a lot less efficient than the 210's. I'd be curious to know.

I think Jeff's plan would be a great place to start and relatively easy without rippin shit apart.

Also, like where Zing is going with thie speaker efficiency issue. Those 210s are pretty efficient. Try the Paradigms which can be switched out easily and see if the less efficient speaker makes the hum, shich may have been there all along, less noticeable.

Hook the Paradigms back up to the Onkyo. Pack the Outlaw and the PowerSounds up and ship them to Houston. Problem solved.

CMonster said:
If you can't hear it when the music/movie is playing, f' it.
^ This was another thought of mine. It took someone else to point out there was a hum to begin with (you didn't notice it so it can't be that bad).

Pour a Baker's, turn the volume up and forget about it.

I know from experience that, at the volumes Keith listens to music, that hum can not be heard over it. Guaranteed!

If it makes you feel any better, my Orbit Shifter (which is always on) hums when the rest of the system is off. I give exactly zero shits.

^ According to another thread, you apparently give at least one shiit.

^Thanks, you caused me to choke on a cereal bar. I almost died. :angry-cussingblack:

:eek:bscene-buttred:

CMonster said:
^Thanks, you caused me to choke on a cereal bar. I almost died. :angry-cussingblack:

:eek:bscene-buttred:

That would have been a shitty way to go.

John

Hum...............update.

Something is wrong and just not sounding right during stereo listening. The clarity and punch is no longer there.

What to do, what to try.

I have a Parasound HCA 1000A sitting around, so let's hook that up..........HOLY CRAP, everything sounds great again!

The B&K Components 125.2 amp has a problem.

But with the 1000A hooked up the Hum is even louder.................time to do the typical troubleshooting again and guess what?

The only time I get the Hum is when the projector power cord is plugged into the outlet. I tried the Ground Buster plug on the 1000A and the Hum is gone, totally silent.

I mentioned in the other thread that the new equivalent to the HCA-1000A is the Halo A-23 at a measly $995. So as mentioned in the other thread, let's try a Crown Class D XSL-1500. So at lunch I head over to the local Guitar Center and asked if they had one in stock, nope, but try this QSC X3 (the sales guy said, same price) which is a Class B amp. Ran it for a bunch of days with music and BR movies and it sounded sweat, but the fan noise was noticeable when the room was quiet. So I returned it and decided to hunt for a couple of HCA 1000A amps.

I got one the other night and it performs great, so my plan is to get 1 more, a total of 3 for the 5.2 system. It would be great if these used amps would last a few or more years..........

Great little amps and now no more hum!!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

heeman said:
The only time I get the Hum is when the projector power cord is plugged into the outlet. I tried the Ground Buster plug on the 1000A and the Hum is gone, totally silent.

Man! You'd think that someone on this forum would have suggested to start unplugging other $hit in the house when the hum was present because the noise could be coming from another device in the home, even if it was on another circuit.

Wait...

:eusa-whistle:

Back