• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

I don't understand.

Maximo

Why don't speaker manufacturers make more active speakers? Wouldn't it just make more sense?

Market dictates, there are more active studio monitors than most people know about but can be expensive. Dynaudio for instance does sell a few retail powered monitors, but already have pro series stuff so it's easier to bring to the consumer market. If you think about it there are tons of powered speakers in the market....iPod and MP3 docks.

Bose Acoustimass, most popular active speakers of all time. A lot of audiophile/hi-fi enthusiasts prefer picking and choosing their amps, I prefer what ever gives me the best sound at what level I can afford.

I use active speakers on my home computer (listening to itunes on em right now) and they sound great. Waaaaay better than any generic computer speakers you can buy in a store. All you need is the powered speakers and a mini plug to RCA connects which can be bought at RatShack. I bought my speakers at a pawnshop for 80.00 and they have a 1" tweeter and a 6.5" midrange, a slotted port and 100 watt amp in speaker (25 to the tweeter and 75 watts to the mid range) They also have an adjustable switch for near field listening and further out (called Resolve 6.5a) btw in between the tweet and mid range you see a small hole, that is a tiny blue led light that tells you it's on.

sare65aacrem_2.jpg

PMC offers many of their monitors in active configuration using Bryston power pack amplification.

Audioengine A5 is a great performer at a reasonable price.

Rope

There was a lengthy discussion on this over at our old forum. Both IG and soundhound chimed in on this topic.

I use active speakers in my HT so I speak from experience when I say that active speakers are a PITA. Most rooms don't have power outlets at the places you want speakers. The cable management on speaker stands don't often accommodate power cords along with signal cables. Wall mounting is very difficult because of their weight and the issues already mentioned.

Towen7 said:
I use active speakers in my HT so I speak from experience when I say that active speakers are a PITA. Most rooms don't have power outlets at the places you want speakers. The cable management on speaker stands don't often accommodate power cords along with signal cables. Wall mounting is very difficult because of their weight and the issues already mentioned.

I have to agree with you on this. I have a full array of Mackies and few outlets. For the surrounds, I mounted a Tripplite strip in the back corner near the ceiling so I only have one power cord scaling down the wall to the nearest outlet.

Back