• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

I got a pretty cool early birthday present...

yromj

A week or so ago I got my biggest birthday present ever: a JVC DLA-HD250. Before all the peer pressure starts, I'll say: I'll post pics over the weekend.

The new projector doesn't have as much lens shift as my older Sony so I had to extend the post another 12" (6" would have probably done it but what the heck). I had a hard time finding a piece of pipe like I needed and I would have had to have a hole cut in a side near one end to allow the HDMI cable into the pole (I have a plate in my ceiling where I attach the HDMI cable).

This has led to a new small but fun project: Dressing up the pole and HDMI cable. Jan and I discussed some various options and came down to two: (1) Get some kind of cubes and paint them and slide them over the pole to form a stack of "dice" between the projector and the ceiling. (2) Get some aluminum sheeting and shape it and paint it to look like a piece of film between the projector and the ceiling.

We opted for option number 1 because our room is at least as much a fun/game room as it is a movie room. We have some foam cubes acquired from a hobby store. Now we're going to start looking into the process we'll use to turn them into dice. Any thoughts/ideas are welcome and appreciated.

John

How 'bout a miniature pole dancer? They dress up poles better than anything else I can think of......... :teasing-neener:

Chief MFG makes telescoping downrods to precisely fit the application complete with the proper hole in one end and I know someone who can get them....

Let's not ignore the elephant in the room... yromj has had a new toy for "a week or so" and hasn't let us see it. Then he has the nerve... THE NERVE... to mention it only as a minor part of a post about decorating.

:angry-tappingfoot:

Towen7 said:
Let's not ignore the elephant in the room... yromj has had a new toy for "a week or so" and hasn't let us see it. Then he has the nerve... THE NERVE... to mention it only as a minor part of a post about decorating.

:angry-tappingfoot:
:text-+1:

I say we give him a blanket party at your GTG. :happy-smileygiantred:

No, just sayin' that it takes a dancer to make a pole look good! (no offense to any members of Polish descent)

SHEESH!! I'll get to the pics...someday. I think now we're all even because w/ the exception of the pole dancer NO ONE has given any feedback about the original question: How do I disguise it?

Bats, I'm not ignoring your post either because if I elect to use that, I'll still need to disguise it. I'll text you about the price, etc.

John

I'm not willing to offer advice on how to hide the pole because I can't think of a better way to draw attention to it than to try to disguise it. If you want to take attention away from it than paint it to match the ceiling. You're the only one who is going to notice it... Unless you draw attention to it.

Dude! I am expecting a pair of socks and a tire pressure gauge for my birthday (which is October 14th, for those of you who are getting me that Krell power amp).

Flint said:
Dude! I am expecting a pair of socks and a tire pressure gauge for my birthday (which is October 14th, for those of you who are getting me that Krell power amp).

Damnit Flint, that was to be a surprise. Now that you have apparently been snooping around and know what I was going to get for you, then I am going to keep it for myself as a belated birthday present, which was August 12th and I still have not received my gift from you, even though I have been patiently awaiting the arrival of the big brown truck.

BTW,
Cool on the new projector John. I want a front projector so bad I can't stand it.

Flint said:

They are burning your Krell money for my birthday Sunday :teasing-neener:

Randy said:
Flint said:

Damnit Flint, that was to be a surprise. Now that you have apparently been snooping around and know what I was going to get for you, then I am going to keep it for myself as a belated birthday present, which was August 12th and I still have not received my gift from you, even though I have been patiently awaiting the arrival of the big brown truck.

:doh:

Starts looking for the receipt to the socks and tire gauge............

Ok, now it's time for some discussion about the actual projector.

Pros: Picture Quality- WOW!!! I am waiting until I get 100+ hours on it to actually calibrate it, but DAYUM it looks good out of the box. Ease of set up- The powered focus, zoom, and shift are easy to use and provide for very fine adjustment when needed. It didn't take long to get the image size dialed in. I used to HATE dealing w/ this w/ my old Sony.

Cons: The lesser amount of lens shift probably is; however, the cure wasn't that bad. The noise of the motorized lens cover is a little louder than I was expecting.

My old 720p projector looked good but there is just no substitute for 1080p when it comes to a front projector. If anyone is considering a projector, contact your dealer (look up in the sky for his calling card) soon because the last batch has shipped from JVC.

John

Back