• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

I jumped into the deep end..

Huey

Famous
..of 3D. After seeing piranha last weekend in 2D, and figuring it would look awesome in 3D, I purchased the adapter and 4 sets of dlp link glasses. They really are making it more confusing than what it needs to be, as I wasn't sure what I needed to buy. Turns out, I only need the adapter, 100 bones, and dlp glasses, rather than the starter kit which runs around 400 dollars, which is about what i paid and have 2 extra glasses.

I'm hoping that my receiver will allow the pass through of the signal, but there is no guarantee. I've also see Walmart is selling the 3d movies now, so I figure it is here to stay. Now if Netflix would add 3d movies, I would be all set.
Rob :handgestures-thumbup:

I've gotten very little 3D usage out of my set since buying it. A few Directv shows and that's about it.

D

What I'm confused about are the starter kits. Are the included glasses interchangeable with the different brands of TVs? Let's say you already have a 3D TV and you wanted Avatar in 3D, but the starter kit that has that movie is for a Panasonic TV, but you have Samsung. Could you use that starter kit, or do you have to get the ones that match the brands.

Are the glasses as universal to TVs as headphones are to a/v or stereo receivers? I'm thinking "no" and that to me seems to slow the acceptance of 3D.

Live-action content is starting to SLOWLY arrive on shelves, up until recently there have been about 8-10 animated titles, 2-3 live action flicks and a few documentaries. I think we will definitely begin to see more content since the advent of real consumer class 3D, they have begun filming more in 3D too...

Huey said:
..of 3D. After seeing piranha last weekend in 2D, and figuring it would look awesome in 3D, I purchased the adapter and 4 sets of dlp link glasses. They really are making it more confusing than what it needs to be, as I wasn't sure what I needed to buy. Turns out, I only need the adapter, 100 bones, and dlp glasses, rather than the starter kit which runs around 400 dollars, which is about what i paid and have 2 extra glasses.

I'm hoping that my receiver will allow the pass through of the signal, but there is no guarantee. I've also see Walmart is selling the 3d movies now, so I figure it is here to stay. Now if Netflix would add 3d movies, I would be all set.
Rob :handgestures-thumbup:

Tell me more about the adapter? I have it in my head that you have to have a 3D TV. Can the adapter turn (that's the same brand of course) any HDTV into a 3D capable TV?

Yesfan70 said:
What I'm confused about are the starter kits. Are the included glasses interchangeable with the different brands of TVs? Let's say you already have a 3D TV and you wanted Avatar in 3D, but the starter kit that has that movie is for a Panasonic TV, but you have Samsung. Could you use that starter kit, or do you have to get the ones that match the brands.

Are the glasses as universal to TVs as headphones are to a/v or stereo receivers? I'm thinking "no" and that to me seems to slow the acceptance of 3D.
I don't believe so. As I see it, it's a pretty shady marketing ploy to sway you into purchasing certain brand of TVs. I can't imagine that the 3D glasses are cross-compatible with other brands either, although I haven't tried it. I would think if that worked it would be by sheer coincidence and NOT a choice made by the manufacturers. Probably at some point you may be able to purchase Avatar 3D independently, but for the next several months the only way is probably "used" on ebay at a premium...

Batman said:
I don't believe so. As I see it, it's a pretty shady marketing ploy to sway you into purchasing certain brand of TVs. I can't imagine that the 3D glasses are cross-compatible with other brands either, although I haven't tried it. I would think if that worked it would be by sheer coincidence and NOT a choice made by the manufacturers. Probably at some point you may be able to purchase Avatar 3D independently, but for the next several months the only way is probably "used" on ebay at a premium...

See that's what pisses me off about all this. That's like having to settle for a pair of Yamaha headphones because your Denon headphones won't work with the Yamaha receiver. It's too bad there wasn't some form of standards put in place like with the DVD and Bluray formats. I could see a pretty good market for 3rd party glasses to use with whatever TV you have. Could you imagine buying a set of glasses made by someone like Runco to use with whatever display you have?

I know comparing the glasses to headphones probably isn't a great one. Still, 3rd party companies could benefit as you might find one brand more comfortable to wear during long periods over another competing brand or the ones that come with these starter kits.

Yesfan70 said:
It's too bad there wasn't some form of standards put in place like with the DVD and Bluray formats.

Instead it was a standard like with VHS vs. Betamax... :angry-banghead:

As far as I can tell, the only reason I need an adapter, is beause my tv only accepts the checkerboard format of 3d. Some panasonics output this format, mine either does top/bottom or side by side, not sure which. There are two types of glasses, dlp link and emmitter type. I don't know how it works, but the dlp link glasses some how sync up with the picture on the tv. The emmitter send hook up to the tv and send an infrared signal to to sync up the glasses.

I've heard good and bad things about both type of glasses, but I guess I felt the dlp link glasses were the best way to go for me. It would be nice if there was one standard, because I probably would have spent more money than needed be, if not for asking questions in the mitsubishi starter thread at AVS.
Rob

Back