• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

I Lost My Imaging & Soundstage - HELP!

OK, get this: it works now. Like it's supposed to.

Know what I did to fix it?

Not a thing. It just decided to put the vocal back inside the fire place.

What a fun waste of 9 hours this has been.

There's a song called "Heaven Help Us All". It's a duet with Ray Charles and Gladys Knight. Any time I've ever played it, Ray's voice seems to come from the empty space between the left speaker and the center channel while Gladys' voice was dead center. Naturally I used that disc today in my trials. Both Ray's AND Gladys' voices were coming directly out of the left speaker.

Now, Ray is back between left and center and Gladys is dead center again.

Seriously, WTF?!

I hadn't been, no. I poured my first scotch about a half hour ago when I had decided to call it quits for the night. I threw in a CD for the hell of it and BAM! It started working like it should.

Now I'm on my second (celebratory) scotch. Cheers.

I poured my first scotch about a half hour ago when I had decided to call it quits for the night. I threw in a CD for the hell of it and BAM! It started working like it should.
Must have been one heckuva scotch. Hopefully it sounds like it should tomorrow morning.

I recall that you have always struggled with a good stereo soundstage AND bass performance in that room and it was years of work to get things sounding as good as they did. I can remember countless hours on the phone discussing possible solutions to the soundstage and bass acoustics issues with you. I believe the relocation of the speakers and seating are 100% to blame and not the electronics, sources, or discs. My recommendation is to put everything back the way they were.

The multichannel thing works because real speakers are replacing phantom or virtual imagining.

I blame your fireplace, it's the one thing you haven't changed. They've caused nothing but grief for Randy, and every time I get a near-tornado my glass fireplace panels fly out and toss my CDs in disarray to the floor. I hear, from higher up, a low sinister laugh.
It's the fireplace, and Hillary started it.

I believe the relocation of the speakers and seating are 100% to blame and not the electronics, sources, or discs. My recommendation is to put everything back the way they were.
This was my initial assumption too and why I did indeed put everything back (a point you must have missed in my OP). When that failed to correct the issue, I started from scratch. Nothing helped. Then, out of the blue, it corrected itself. So now I'm convinced it was an electronic gremlin, likely in the pre/pro.

I had a similar problem before as well. Turned out that the distance setting somehow got changed, but only by half of a foot, ie the left distance was 12 feet and the right was set at 11.5 feet. It was sounding exactly as you described. Hope it's an easy fix like that.

Wow. What a pain in the ass. Glad it's working again.
It took me hours to get my main speakers in, what I feel, are perfect for the room. I'm so OCD, however, that when I turned the room into a theater/2 channel room, I did all my work (minor construction and painting) without moving my speakers or couch. Total pain in the ass to work around each, but I didn't want to risk changing anything. After reading your post, it was worth the extra effort not to move a thing.

That's cool, sorry I gave up and went to sleep before you got it fixed. ;) But I'm very relieved for you, I have some understanding of what that must've done to you, I think. The power of scotch propels us all. (That's a thing, right?)

If this happens again, unplug your preamp for about a minute (to let the PSU drain) and then turn it back on to see if a reboot helps. There is an unbelievable gauntlet of solid state switches, op-amps, DSP and who knows what that the signal has to go through before it comes out. A problem anywhere along that line can case the kind of symptoms you describe.

If this happens again, unplug your preamp for about a minute (to let the PSU drain) and then turn it back on to see if a reboot helps. There is an unbelievable gauntlet of solid state switches, op-amps, DSP and who knows what that the signal has to go through before it comes out. A problem anywhere along that line can case the kind of symptoms you describe.

I switched inputs but got the same result.

I switched sources and got the same result.

I unplugged every power cable for over a minute and then tried again and got the same result.

I find it insulting that you guys keep pointing out that I am failing to carefully read the thread before I post suggestions or questions.

I blame your fireplace, it's the one thing you haven't changed. They've caused nothing but grief for Randy, and every time I get a near-tornado my glass fireplace panels fly out and toss my CDs in disarray to the floor. I hear, from higher up, a low sinister laugh.
It's the fireplace, and Hillary started it.

OH BOTCH, WHY MUST RE-IGNITE THE FIRES OF OLD!!!! I STILL HATE THAT DAMN FIREPLACE!!!

Embrace the 'place, Randy. Embrace the 'place.

traditional-indoor-fireplaces.jpg

Back