• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

I miss silver

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
pioneer_rig.jpg

This pic in a recent thread really has me missing my "silver" gear from the late '70s. Just out of high school I loved visiting the local "Team Electronics", or "La Belles", and looking at all the sexy, silver Pioneer, Marantz, Kenwood, Yamaha and especially the Sansui gear in the racks lit from above. I ended up buying a Yamaha system (based on their S/N ratio, and their variable loudness controls), but still admit the Sansui stuff was the sexiest looking.
Black has been the New Black for a couple decades now, but as I peer over my reading glasses at my current system, I see, well, black blobs: one with blue fluorescent lettering that I can't read from here, and another box with a single green light on it. whee and mild orgasm. not.
I admit that black equipment blends in nicely in a darkened Home Theater, but I still wish I had silver gear in my sound system. Probably not uncoincidentally, I recently bought a Nikon Df, in, silver.... :shifty:

I was a young boy during the silver age and I miss it too. Botch, you did well to purchase a Yamaha instead of a Sansui. My folks had a Sansui receiver and it did look nice and was popular in the late 1970s but did not have a very clean audio. My 20 something year old Yamaha doesn't look as cool and doesn't feel as solid as the old Sansui but it is a much better performer all around.

Black is where it's at. I do like silver, but on the older gear like what's pictured, not what was coming out in the late 90s early 2000s. Everything in my rack is black, except for my DVD-recorder. It's silver, stands out like a sore thumb, and just looks so cheap to me.

Of course, I'm also the kinda guy that likes all the gauges, meters, blinking lights, etc. so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Yesfan70 said:
Everything in my rack is black, except for my DVD-recorder. It's silver, stands out like a sore thumb, and just looks so cheap to me.

:happy-smileygiantred:

6bf79a88-d4c0-4d4d-a6f4-8456b4f6155e_300.jpg

You could pick up an Outlaw Audio RR2150 stereo receiver to satisfy this silver craving. :angelic-red: :eusa-whistle:

...or explore Craigslist for a vintage receiver.

P1020691.jpg

PaulyT said:

That's awesome!!!! :music-rockout:

Fwiw... I don't mind some of the silver gear from the 70s, but absolutely hated that silver painted plastic crap that was popular in the early 2000s. Heck, I even hated the silver Denon DVD player I had, and that was actual aluminum.

Much prefer black electronics. Though, if we could only get so many of them to stop using that shiny plastic. Looks good on Pioneer Elite. Looks cheap as heck on a EmersonCraigGPXyorxSoundDesign portable in-dash dualdeck CD player.

I remember cleaning the "wood veneer" cover on my Fisher. Would sometimes slide it off & spend some time dusting everything.
The LP's would come alive. Which reminds me, some TV programing would be simulcast on a fm channel........oh, stereo ! Love my old Zenith 27" color TV with an Atari connected in the back on the antenna inputs, dial for changing channels and on/off/volume control switch.

here is the three Sansui EQ on the bottom of my tower. one black with RTA and two silver with RTA.

Attachments

• Sansui.JPG
    Sansui.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 260
  • Sansui2.JPG
    Sansui2.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 260
I too miss the Silver Age of Audio, when I got into the hobby back in the 80's besides silver. There was Pioneer's light gold finish, and Marantz's andoized look. As I rebuild my system I am going to try and do it all in silver. First component so far is a brush silver Parasound Zdac v2 headphone and Dac unit.

Troy, get an expensive silver NAD receiver and post a review of it, for me. Thanks!

Back