• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

I wish more cops did this...

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKOJJzMDHjI[/youtube]

:text-bravo: :text-bravo: :text-bravo:

Wait.. what are you guys talking about... That cop is a fucking moron!!!! And if I was his/her captain and saw that i would suspend him. Tailgaiting that close is very dangerous and could lead to all kinds of damage. And the cop would be at fault. If that driver simply touched his brakes the cop would rear-end him and the COP will be at fault.

Why the kudos for the cop? It appears that the car being tailgated was going with the flow of traffic. Even if they weren't, that ain't the way to handle it.

I have to disagree. Sure the cop may have tailgated, but I also do not understand why these slow driving morons have to drive in the left (fast) lanes when they are NOT passing. If I'm not passing, I try to stay in the right lanes so I'm not a bottle neck to others.

The donut and cup of coffee's on me. :eusa-clap:

I drive around all day as part of my job. Morons driving too slow in any lane, not just the fast lane, are the cause of more accidents and issues on the road than speeders.

Good for that cop!

In CO you can be ticketed for going too slow in the fast lane, even if you are going the speed limit. Crazy huh?

I grew up in the UK and had to take the driver's test 3 times to pass. Brutal test with NO WRITTEN EXAM. 1-1.5 hours of driving with the test administer. NO MISTAKES. The first time I failed for not checking my rear view mirror enough. I was devastated.

Here they hand out driver's licences like ketchup at McDonalds. My test here was about 8 minutes long and had 10 written questions that were multiple choice. They just want you to pass so they can collect $$ from you. If you're driving you are probably purchasing a vehicle, buying gas, paying registration fees, paying, tolls getting tickets.... etc...

D

How about going around?

Extreme tailgating and putting that driver and the others around at serious risk is definitely not the way.

Besides... Watch the video. Its not like the car was going that slow. The surrounding traffic was moving at the same speed. IMhO the cop was in a rush and the car ahead wouldn't get out of his way. Last time I checked there is no law requiring drivers to get out of the way of a speeding cop without his emergency lights on.

I agree with Towen on this. When a cop starts tail gating you or just about anytime you see a cop on the road the natural instinct is to drive right at or below the speed limit. It appears to me the Civic was going a little faster than traffic since the kid filming it had to drive around other cars just to keep up with the cop.

Three weeks ago I was driving to work and a cop pulled up righ tbehind me and started tailgating me. I was going 48 MPH in a 45 MPH zone. I didn't slow down. He stopped me and detained me for 20 minutes while he looked over every inch of my truck to see if there were any violations he could write me a ticket for. I was late to a meeting. If I had sped up to get out of his way, he would have written me a ticket for speeding because he was hunting for a reason to give out tickets. What do you guys do when a cop pulls up behind you and appears to be following you?

Towen7 said:
Last time I checked there is no law requiring drivers to get out of the way of a speeding cop without his emergency lights on.
It is the law, in some states, to get out of the passing lane if you're not passing someone.
You are right, Towen, the extreme tailgating done by the cop was a bit dangerous, but I sure wish more cops would get these morons OUT of the F%#&ing passing lane!

Not every time an officer is going on a call do they use lights etc. such as a non emergency. The person in front of him did a few things wrong and it showed by their deer in the headlight reaction. If someone, especially an officer comes up on you, move over. In this case the mere presence of the officer froze this persons decision making process, it is that type of driver that causes accidents and somehow drives away oblivious and unscathed. If you don't have the mental capacity for that situation, then what if that driver really needs to think fast? I have seen a state trooper do this on a major highway here. A box truck doing 60 in a 65 had himself right next to another car for a good 5 miles with, not only the SP behind him but a row about a mile long of backed up traffic. The only way he got the truck over was to throw his lights on.

There is also the possibility that that driver, who by the way had no business in the lane, may not have looked in the mirror even once to know he was even there....scary.

The other ones that are a nuisance are the self policing crowd. The "I'm going 5 over fuck him" crowd that ends up looking in the mirror at you more than the road ahead. If someone wants to go faster, let them.

Botch said:
Towen7 said:
Last time I checked there is no law requiring drivers to get out of the way of a speeding cop without his emergency lights on.
It is the law, in some states, to get out of the passing lane if you're not passing someone.
You are right, Towen, the extreme tailgating done by the cop was a bit dangerous, but I sure wish more cops would get these morons OUT of the F%#&ing passing lane!

In NJ you can be pulled over for driving in the left lane when not passing.

I'm a rather observant driver, generally I see them coming and am already moved over. If they appear out of nowhere and are right behind me I don't panic. If I'm speeding excessively I let off just a bit not using the brake, but always slide over and let them by.

Flint said:
I agree with Towen on this. When a cop starts tail gating you or just about anytime you see a cop on the road the natural instinct is to drive right at or below the speed limit. It appears to me the Civic was going a little faster than traffic since the kid filming it had to drive around other cars just to keep up with the cop.

Three weeks ago I was driving to work and a cop pulled up righ tbehind me and started tailgating me. I was going 48 MPH in a 45 MPH zone. I didn't slow down. He stopped me and detained me for 20 minutes while he looked over every inch of my truck to see if there were any violations he could write me a ticket for. I was late to a meeting. If I had sped up to get out of his way, he would have written me a ticket for speeding because he was hunting for a reason to give out tickets. What do you guys do when a cop pulls up behind you and appears to be following you?

I'm with you and T. My first thought when watching is why doesn't the cop put on his siren and lights if he wants the guy to move or pull over for some reason - tailgaiting is a real no-no. The sirens and lights are there to let drivers know they need the right of way. As much as there are times I would like to do something like that cop did he is a cop and public safety should be his first concern. Playing around in 3-4 lanes of moving traffic is not in the best interest of the public.

And what would I do if a cop appeared to be following me (I've never had that happen) is get over to the right as much as possible and if it continues try and pull in a parking lot see if he follows and what he wants. But again if he has business with me turn on at least your flashing lights so I know there might be a problem.

Honestly, I would have changed lanes and gotten the hell out of that cop's way. I've seen cops egg people to speed up by tailgating and then ticket them for speeding. Some cops are true assholes and you never know what their motivation is. Better to get out of the way and let them go about their business.

That cop was at it for a while and the driver of that car just didn't get it. Drivers should understand what left lane is for on the highway but I see so many who don't and they do cause back-ups on the highway which amounts to more cars tailgating even though it may be temporary but still dangerous.

In Illinois you can receive a ticket for driving in the left lane if you are not passing. Even if you are keeping up with the flow of traffic. The left lane is for passing, I am not condoning what the police officer did as far as the tail gating thing go, but the idiot in the was not getting the hint for some time.
It is also required, or at least strongly reccomended, that drivers check their mirrors frequently and this driver didnt seem to have a clue what was going on behind them. Distracted drivers and people generally driving around with their head up their asses is a BIG problem.
Just got back from a traffic crash where the driver, who rear ended the car in front of him causing injuries to his wife's head and chest, stated "he just stopped right in front of me". The other driver did stop after signalling to to turn left.

Back