• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

IB enclosure question

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
I was taking some measurements of my closet, as I'm hoping to have some funds to start my IB project. What I'm worried about is if my closet has enough air space to turn it into an IB enclosure.

The smallest dimensions are: (HxWxD) 81" x 59" x 40" or 110.625 cu ft. The closet has a funky look to it as I think the previous owner was more or less trying to close in one of the support poles in the basement. The max amount of cubic air space I have is probably about 127.702 cu ft. I posted the smallest amount thinking if those dimensions are acceptable, then I'm good to go.

I think the ideal is to have around 10 times more space behind the woofer then the combined Vas volume of the woofers used. From what I've read you will achieve better performance with as little as 4 times the volume.

Can you vent the closet to another space?

I could vent it to the garage, but don't like the idea of doing that. I have a drop ceiling, so the closet isn't really "truly" closed off from the garage either. I didn't have to drill any holes when I was running CAT5 and RG6 lines from upstairs to the basement if that tells you anything.

If it helps, these were the woofers I was looking at:

Dayton Audio Reference Subs.

After several exchanged PMs from Flint (few years ago) over at the other place, this seemed like the best solution for my sub. 4 of those with Dayton's rack mount sub amp is what I'm looking to do.

That's plenty big as long as the back wave is reasonably isolated from the front wave in the listening room.

If you put four 15" Parts Express IB Subwoofer drivers in you solution, the output at 20Hz will be down a mere 6dB at 20Hz, requiring little or no EQ to have an amazing low end output in your room.

Flint said:
If you put four 15" Parts Express IB Subwoofer drivers in you solution, the output at 20Hz will be down a mere 6dB at 20Hz, requiring little or no EQ to have an amazing low end output in your room.

So this setup should be a bit better than the single 15"/250W Def Tech sub I'm running now. :D

Just out of curiosity, what is the minimum cubic ft needed to run four of those subs?

Flint said:
That's plenty big as long as the back wave is reasonably isolated from the front wave in the listening room.

Well, I planned on just framing out the closet, then walling it up with sheetrock and painting it to match the rest of my room. A 1" or 1.5" baffle would run top to bottom for the woofers to bolt to and it would be painted black. To hide the subs (since it would be in direct view of the listener), I thought about make shifting a small wooden speaker grill covered in black speaker cloth held on by magnets glued to the baffle.

This isn't set in stone, but just some ideas I have swimming in my head. I may try to sketch some ideas and post them and a few pics to give you guys an idea of what I'm looking at.

I have been watching on the cable channels Holmes on homes!

Your statement about the garage being open to the basement is bad according to the show.
You might want to request a review from a safety perspective to prevent carbon monoxide problems from hurting your family.

What I have seen on the shows is the garage should have no air leaks into the living spaces.

malsackj said:
I have been watching on the cable channels Holmes on homes!

Your statement about the garage being open to the basement is bad according to the show.
You might want to request a review from a safety perspective to prevent carbon monoxide problems from hurting your family.

What I have seen on the shows is the garage should have no air leaks into the living spaces.

I don't think that's an issue since the main living quarters are sealed off upstairs. The HT is different though. There is a hairline seam between the closet in my basement and the back of the garage (that's also split by the stairs going up), but it's packed full of insulation. I can barely feed a wire through there.

If there is a potential CO leak, then I doubt it is high enough to cause any issue. I'm willing to bet our exposure is still the highest from the time we get out of our cars to the time we get to the basement door.

Back