• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Idea for a speaker placement assistance device

Alien

Anybody ever wish, when tinkering around with a 2 channel placement and position that they didn't have to keep getting up to move their stuff?

I have an idea for a kind of crude "track" to place your speakers on that from the listening position you can move them laterally by pulling on a cord. It probably wouldn't be too difficult either to make it adjustable for toe in and out too.

I'll have to make it so the track itself doesn't make any acoustic changes by coupling or rattling. Does anybody else want to try this?

Alien said:
Anybody ever wish, when tinkering around with a 2 channel placement and position that they didn't have to keep getting up to move their stuff?

I have an idea for a kind of crude "track" to place your speakers on that from the listening position you can move them laterally by pulling on a cord. It probably wouldn't be too difficult either to make it adjustable for toe in and out too.

I'll have to make it so the track itself doesn't make any acoustic changes by coupling or rattling. Does anybody else want to try this?

You could use a sliding door track (rubber wheels) layed out in any pattern chosen, and attach a speaker stand to the track that replicates a 180 degree lazy-susan. Mount a small electric motor under the speaker stand that not only moves the speaker on the track but also rotates for toe-in or toe-out.

Rope

Rope said:
Alien said:

You could use a sliding door track (rubber wheels) layed out in any pattern chosen, and attach a speaker stand to the track that replicates a 180 degree lazy-susan. Mount a small electric motor under the speaker stand that not only moves the speaker on the track but also rotates for toe-in or toe-out.

Rope

Whoa Rope! I'm not THAT good!

Why not spend a few minutes with an RTA to get your speakers set exactly where you want them and then just leave them alone?

Alien said:

I always thought that moving them was the wife/GF's job while I relax - you know - like getting me another beer, etc.

Towen7 said:
Why not spend a few minutes with an RTA to get your speakers set exactly where you want them and then just leave them alone?

I don't think I can measure imaging quality with it can I?

Alien said:
Towen7 said:

I don't think I can measure imaging quality with it can I?
If you can, you're a better man than I am.

You ever hear any tests in mono out of phase in 2 channel? It's so weird...sounds like it's behind you.

If you have to move your speakers around to get imaging "quality" on different recordings than maybe you have other issues.

Just sayin'

Now T7, don't be such a doubter. ;) I've noticed that pretty small amounts of speaker movement and rotation (toe-in) can make a noticeable difference in the breadth of the soundstage - which based on other discussions is related to imaging. I think it would be very cool to be able to manipulate speaker position "live" while listening!

I hear you, you crazy tweekers.

Now that I think about it I've noticed that I hear different sound quality when I sit at different positions in my room. Maybe I'll add remote controllable motors to my sofa so I can adjust my listening position without having to actually get up. Because the 1812 Overture just sounds better when I'm 2.55809" to the left of the center axis with the speakers toed-in 4 degrees, and I just cant bear listening to Messiah unless I'm 3.847335" to the right and 2.654" back with 8 degrees of toe-in on the right speaker and 7 degrees on the left one... give or take a micron or two.

Two camps -

1) Artist's Product: Absolute accuracy in reproducing what is on the recording. If the recording is bad, it will sound bad. If the recording is good, it will sound good. But you always hear every little nuance of the recording as it exists, like going to the museum and staring at a painting in all its glory.

2) Listener Preference: Reproduction should be adjusted to sound best to the listener using whatever means are available and easy to use. Moving speakers, swapping headphones, playing with EQs or reverbant processors. Regardless of the quality of the recording, the listener can get a sound they like to hear making bad recordings sound better and good recordings sound preferable.

3) Artist's Intention: Not bothering with original recordings, hunting covers, re-recorded versions, re-mixes, and whatever else is out there. Some even go so far as to use synthesized versions to enjoy the music as the listener thinks the original artist would have prefered. Beatles "Love" is a classic example.

Flint said:
Two camps -

1) Artist's Product: Absolute accuracy in reproducing what is on the recording. If the recording is bad, it will sound bad. If the recording is good, it will sound good. But you always hear every little nuance of the recording as it exists, like going to the museum and staring at a painting in all its glory.

2) Listener Preference: Reproduction should be adjusted to sound best to the listener using whatever means are available and easy to use. Moving speakers, swapping headphones, playing with EQs or reverbant processors. Regardless of the quality of the recording, the listener can get a sound they like to hear making bad recordings sound better and good recordings sound preferable.

3) Artist's Intention: Not bothering with original recordings, hunting covers, re-recorded versions, re-mixes, and whatever else is out there. Some even go so far as to use synthesized versions to enjoy the music as the listener thinks the original artist would have prefered. Beatles "Love" is a classic example.

:mrgreen: :teasing-neener:

Towen7 said:
If you have to move your speakers around to get imaging "quality" on different recordings than maybe you have other issues.

I don't. I'm just curious about the need for my idea.

Just sayin'

When visiting that art gallery does the lighting in the room and the decor of the room with the colors of the wall around the art affect the vision, mood and feel?

If the Orange huew of a sunset passing threw a window fell upon the art?

How about the fun of sitting in a dentist chair to keep the head in perfect alignment for each sit down.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTxdKi77G20[/youtube]

With the camera dolly you could use the pipes attached to railroad ties and create arc's or circles if the pipe stays above the grade of the ties. Unlike the pictures shown where the pipes pass threw the Ties.

Back