• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

If it was that damn special..

bmwuk

Now that Oppo has discontinued their line on 4k players suddenly the aftermarket pricing has shot up 100% of the original retail price. My comment is that if it was so special why didn't people get it in the first place? It was a great bargain but not really. $550 and $1000 for their models. So why pay the significant price increase now? If it made sense then what makes it worth it now?

And to be fair ... asking for $1,000 and getting $1,000 are very different things.

I've experienced that desire to buy a discontinued product for way more than retail a few times. For me it was this long desire to buy the product eventually that drove me. After a year, or longer, thinking that one day I would be able to make the purchase a priority over other expenses then learning that the company was closing or dropping the product line caused me to panic and think I have to get it now. The first such event was when DBX discontinued their dynamic expander product line, as I had always assumed I would eventually buy the 3BX expander. Ultimately, I didn't buy it, but I get the panic buy mentality that something you had pined for over years is suddenly taken away as an option.

I've experienced that desire to buy a discontinued product for way more than retail a few times. For me it was this long desire to buy the product eventually that drove me. After a year, or longer, thinking that one day I would be able to make the purchase a priority over other expenses then learning that the company was closing or dropping the product line caused me to panic and think I have to get it now. The first such event was when DBX discontinued their dynamic expander product line, as I had always assumed I would eventually buy the 3BX expander. Ultimately, I didn't buy it, but I get the panic buy mentality that something you had pined for over years is suddenly taken away as an option.
You can have my 3 DBX, if I still have it. Also have/had a 1.

I'll dig through my boxes and bring it up. My father bought the 1 first, then bought the 3 and gave me the 1. I got the 3 after my father retired and moved in with me back in GA.
I use to notice the largest gained from it when playing cassette tapes. It did a remarkable job with them.

I'll dig through my boxes and bring it up. My father bought the 1 first, then bought the 3 and gave me the 1. I got the 3 after my father retired and moved in with me back in GA.
I use to notice the largest gained from it when playing cassette tapes. It did a remarkable job with them.
I always wanted it for LPs.

Most of my records and especially my fathers were clean and pretty noise free. With that said, yes it does work well with LP's as well.

I liked how it could improve the dynamics of the bass without screwing up the midrange and treble, hence my desire for the 3BX instead of the 1BX.

I liked how it could improve the dynamics of the bass without screwing up the midrange and treble, hence my desire for the 3BX instead of the 1BX.
I had the 1BX and the 3BX and liked the 1BX better - for precisely the opposite reason: I preferred equal expansion across the whole range.

But ultimately I ended up with the Pioneer RG-1 which I like the most. Recently had it refurbished to like-new condition and have it in the vinyl loop in my main HT.

Jeff

I had the 1BX and the 3BX and liked the 1BX better - for precisely the opposite reason: I preferred equal expansion across the whole range.

But ultimately I ended up with the Pioneer RG-1 which I like the most. Recently had it refurbished to like-new condition and have it in the vinyl loop in my main HT.

Jeff

I had a 1BX for a short time and I found the bass made the treble and "hiss" pump unnaturally with the bass expansion. That's why the three frequency 3BX was better, to me. I loved how it worked on my uncle's system - it added dynamics while hardly being noticeable otherwise.

Back