• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

I'm not crazy after all

Doghart

Helped my best fiend pick up a brand new 54" VT25 Panny plasma today ($1699 at Ultimate).

He knows about the issues I went through with the buzzing on the 58" I had.

We set it up, wall mounted it and let it run for about 30 mins.

Buzzes. :angry-cussingblack:

He is getting them to come exchange it on Tuesday.

Must be an Altitude thing.... Guy at the store said only 1 65" has ever been returned for buzzing. Makes me wonder if most people just don't notice.

Ignorance is bliss.......

In my experience, salesmen either don't know about returns and complaints, or they just makes crap up to save face.

Flint said:
In my experience, salesmen either don't know about returns and complaints, or they just makes crap up to save face.
My money's on the latter.

I can't speak for BB's out of my area, but locally their sales people have shit for brains, and they'll sell anything they can, regardless of the outcome.

I was at a local Best Try before Xmas looking for a display for my mother & father, and witness a sales person knock a display onto it face that was standing on it edge in front of the wall hung TV's. He looked at me, shrugged, up righted the display and walked away as if nothing had happened.

Rope

Rope said:
I can't speak for BB's out of my area, but locally their sales people have shit for brains, and they'll sell anything they can, regardless of the outcome.

I was at a local Best Try before Xmas looking for a display for my mother & father, and witness a sales person knock a display onto it face that was standing on it edge in front of the wall hung TV's. He looked at me, shrugged, up righted the display and walked away as if nothing had happened.

Rope

The are as useless as a screen door in a submarine!!!! (a term my boss likes when discribing asswipes).

I have no use for any of the Sales People in our local BB, except for the cute ones! :scared-yipes:

I'm sure you're right that the higher altitude doesn't help matters. And, I'm just thinking out loud here, but I've sometimes wondered if the larger the screen means the more likely one is to hear buzzing?

Hope your buddy's replacement set is a little bit quieter.

How loud it it? My 50" plasma only has a slight buzz that typically is only heard in the dead of night when all else is quiet, primarily when lots of bright white images are displayed on the screen.

Kazaam said:
I'm sure you're right that the higher altitude doesn't help matters. And, I'm just thinking out loud here, but I've sometimes wondered if the larger the screen means the more likely one is to hear buzzing?

How loud it it? My 50" plasma only has a slight buzz that typically is only heard in the dead of night when all else is quiet, primarily when lots of bright white images are displayed on the screen.

Could be, I have a 46" in my basement and it doesn't make a peep.

Different series though.

He got his replacement today and it is significantly quieter, but not silent. He is going to live with it. At $1699 for that set, I would live with it too. I shelled out almost $3k for mine, that's why it went back.

D

Well today I tried the "break-in" slides to help speed up the break in period before the Superbowl. My TV is the Panasonic 50" GT25.

what I noticed is that when the pure white is displayed the buzz is quite noticeable. Again, this is full screen white which is displayed for 30 seconds straight (though it starts buzzing right away). I live at about 500 feet above sea level, so it's not altitude. That said though I have not noticed the buzz with normal content. It doesn't seem that big a deal to me.

Doghart, Is the buzzing you hear all the time, or just with certain content?

Just with certain content. Mostly all white or all black images.

I noticed with the set that I had that it fluctuated all the time. At times it was totally silent for hours. The worst offender was the Netflix app with the cable box guide in a close second.

His first set had the same exact sound, I noticed it as soon as we powered it up and the setup menu appeared. I have not seen his replacement set yet, but he did mention that the metal backing on the replacement set was black, while the original set and both sets I had had a gray metal back cover.

D

Doghart said:
Just with certain content. Mostly all white or all black images.

I noticed with the set that I had that it fluctuated all the time. At times it was totally silent for hours. The worst offender was the Netflix app with the cable box guide in a close second.

His first set had the same exact sound, I noticed it as soon as we powered it up and the setup menu appeared. I have not seen his replacement set yet, but he did mention that the metal backing on the replacement set was black, while the original set and both sets I had had a gray metal back cover.

D

By metal backing do you mean the outermost casing of the TV, or the metal backing of the panel inside the TV casing (i.e. seen thru the vents). If the former, mine is black metal, if the later, it is silver/gray.

Doghart said:
Kazaam said:

Could be, I have a 46" in my basement and it doesn't make a peep.

Different series though.

He got his replacement today and it is significantly quieter, but not silent. He is going to live with it. At $1699 for that set, I would live with it too. I shelled out almost $3k for mine, that's why it went back.

D

Dog,
The problem and solution is so simple, and right in front of your eyes. THE DISPLAY IN YOUR BASEMENT IS AT A LOWER ALTITUDE!!! :eek:bscene-buttred:

Doghart,

I found this interesting thread over at avsforums:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... st19790362

The linked post mentions that a tech visit may be able to help further reduce buzzing, though some suspect the "fix" is dubious.

Nevertheless, the thread mentions that sitting dead center with the TV can cause the buzzing to be worse. Funny thing is I notice the buzzing if sitting dead center. If I sit one cushion away on the couch (facing forward) I don't hear it. If I turn my head so that one ear faces towards the tv I can then hear it. If i stand up I can't really hear it.

The buzzing seems to be quite directional, even though the frequency isn't that hi pitch (certainly not like a CRT).

If the buzzing is emanating from the vent holes in the back of the set, perhaps some acoustical treatments would be helpful in reducing it.

Orbison said:
If the buzzing is emanating from the vent holes in the back of the set, perhaps some acoustical treatments would be helpful in reducing it.

That's an idea too. For me the buzzing isn't a big deal though (especially considering the price I paid as an amazon-honored price mistake).

I've only noticed it so far with break-in slides (pure white, green, red, and blue, and then shades of these). It's only on the pure white to grey images that cause buzz, with pure white being the loudest. Pure green, blue, red - all nothing. Normal content: all nothing. This is at least @ 8 feet. Now if I walk up to the tv and put my ear within a foot of the back top vents, then yes, I can hear buzzing no matter what the content, but it is really low in level (with the noted exceptions above).

The black metal casing is the outermost metal cover to the back of the set.

I called Panasonic when I was on my second 58" VT25 and they were all set to send a tech out.... Until I told them I was at 5400'. :angry-cussingblack:

They told me company policy was to not dispatch a tech for buzzing over 4000'.

D

That's because both their techs have asthma... :teasing-neener:

The reason the buzzing is louder when you are dead center in front of the screen is one of acoustics. The panel front is acting as a sounding board to resonate and project the sound forward, and the loudest spot will be directly in front of the screen since the large surface area is aiming it directly forward, much like a large baffle speaker or a very large ESL.

Back