• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Impulse buy.....

jamhead

I never buy on impulse, but today, based on a post over at AVS forum, I called OPPO to see if they had any refurbished BDP 103's (was looking to buy once my room was ready....which it's not...not even close). They did, so I bought one for $433 shipped (close to 100 bucks off).

I plan on using it for a Multichannel music player for now to replace my Denon 2200 (which just crapped out on me last week). I'll have to use the analog connections as my receiver doesn't have HDMI, but I figure it should sound great....I couldn't justify stepping up an additional 700 bucks for the 105 (improved DAC's).

Terrible timing though...as money's been flying out of our hands for the past two months, but sometimes:

as Joel says : You gotta say "what the fuck".

Thanks guys. I HATE spending that much on a Blu-ray player, but due to the age of my receiver, I needed something with multichannel outs and flexible bass management with on board decoding. This was actually cheaper than the option of upgrading my receiver (needs to be able to sufficiently power 4ohm speakers)...but I eventually want to get into separates..which is more money yet. So this should work well until I get things settled and can slowly upgrade the audio side (of course, after I get a video system...).

I never should have gotten into this hobby. Damn all of you!

:eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

I seem to remember a review somewhere that you could actually replace a pre-pro with the new (100-series) Oppos, there's enough control and inputs on them to do so. Since you're already considering separates, you may want to explore this, and just go with a new Honkin' power-amp, and see if you can live with that combo.

Botch said:
I seem to remember a review somewhere that you could actually replace a pre-pro with the new (100-series) Oppos, there's enough control and inputs on them to do so. Since you're already considering separates, you may want to explore this, and just go with a new Honkin' power-amp, and see if you can live with that combo.

That's an interesting concept. It seems to me that pre/pros should become more plentiful and less expensive. I say this because with HDMI being the standard a pre/pro now could be an HDMI switch in front of a DAC in front of 8 analog outs. This is similar to what the Oppo is, right?

John

I've been reading about this concept and some people are having success, while others are having some noise issues using the analog outs on the Oppo 103. However, the 105 seems to be more successful with this approach...the only downside currently is the front panel display. It is very limited on the information it provides.

Realistically, with my current setup, I only need my Rotel receiver for the amp section and volume control. All processing will be done by the OPPO, with analog outs going to the receiver. If the front panel would have been better on the OPPO, I would have bought the 105 for a pre/pro. Instead, I can go with the 103 and in the future, pick up a cheap pre/pro (used or Outlaw, etc.) for the same cost.

I'm of the opinion that the next Oppo's will be this "all in one pre/pro" with a slightly elevated cost.

jamhead said:
I couldn't justify stepping up an additional 700 bucks for the 105 (improved DAC's).
Good thing. These days, improved DAC means "improved". I mean, what more benefit can DACs provide to improve beyond audible range?

Coupling your new player with a basic receiver with HDMI interface will do fine. They are cheap, fortunately.

improved DAC? some time ago a company was able to replace in the chips the aluminum that is used to pass the signals with copper. This means that as the devices heat up the aluminum would allow for more noise in the signal. The better DAC would be one with copper in the audio chain to reduce the noise floor and better handle on the heat.

Back