• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

In search of new headphones...

REWalk86

Hello all…I posted a few times over on Sound and Vision and have been keeping up with events here at the Annex. I’m in need of some advice again and thought I would take this opportunity to say hello, happy holidays and ask for help (again...).

I’m lucky enough to have the opportunity to travel for work, with my first trip coming in a few weeks, and the earbuds I currently use for travel, at home and in the office aren’t going to cut it. Their isolation is awful and comfort isn’t much better. I’ve wanted to replace them for a while, but haven’t had the funds up till now.

I understand that if I want isolation an IEM is probably the best way to go, but I’m really worried about comfort. I’ve never been able to wear earbuds/IEMs for very long. I tend to get pain in my ears and jaw. I also understand that open cans will most likely offer a better sound, but I don’t think these are appropriate for travel/office use.

As a result, I’ve been looking at closed headphones (either on-ear or over). My current short list contains the V-Moda M80, Sennheiser HD 25 and Beyerdynamic T50p (based largely on reviews over at head-fi). I wear glasses and I’m worried that the HD 25 and T50p will be uncomfortable on long flights or a long day at work. I’ve also read that the M80 doesn’t isolate all that well. I understand that none of these will likely combat the noise of a plane or loud conversations, but my main expectation is to not have to crank my music up to ear damaging levels when flying.

If an IEM is really my only option, I’ve been looking at the Etymotic HF2. Are there any others I should consider?

My ideal budget is sub $200, but I’ll go a bit higher if necessary (no more than $300). The one stipulation is I have to be able to buy them from Amazon. Thoughts?

If it helps when it comes to recommendations, my current speakers are B&W 705s. I really enjoy the way they sound.

Sorry for the long post...wanted to make sure I properly explained myself...

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Glad you're here, hope you stay and post more.

REWalk86 said:
I understand that if I want isolation an IEM is probably the best way to go, but I’m really worried about comfort. I’ve never been able to wear earbuds/IEMs for very long. I tend to get pain in my ears and jaw. I also understand that open cans will most likely offer a better sound, but I don’t think these are appropriate for travel/office use.
I think with the new crop of silicone tips - especially in assorted sizes - you'll have no issue with comfort and I doubt very highly you'd experience any pain regardless of how long you wear them.

I'd like to suggest a pair of Ultimare Ears 350. At $46, I can't possibly imagine a better sounding, better performing or more comfortable IEM. And since you're limiting your purchase to Amazon, if for some reason you're not happy with them, back they go and order another pair.

Welcome, REWalk!

IEM's are no different from speakers, music, or full size headphones. All subjective and personal.

Here's a :text-link: that covers all price ranges, and the reviewer (|Joker|) goes above and beyond with detail and ratings.

Using this information, I purchased the Vsonic GR-07, have been extremely pleased with fit, isolation and SQ.

Rope

Thanks!

Zing - at the price, I may be able to swing trying out an IEM for travel and getting a pair of headphones for home/office. For example, I could get the V-Moda M80 and these for within my max budget. That is something I considered, but when I saw the price of most of the headphones I dismissed it quickly. This certainly gives me something else to think about...

Rope - I'm very familiar with that post. I've been going through that one and the one Joker did on portable headphones. Awesome information.

If I go the cheap(er) IEM route and decide to pick up another pair of headphones for home/office, are there any recommendations beyond what I've already mentioned?

Another question, I've always loved the look of some of Sennheiser's headphones (specifically the HD598). I know they are open, but what does that really mean in terms of isolation? Is it basically what I hear, everyone else hears?

REWalk86 said:
Thanks!

Zing - at the price, I may be able to swing trying out an IEM for travel and getting a pair of headphones for home/office. For example, I could get the V-Moda M80 and these for within my max budget. That is something I considered, but when I saw the price of most of the headphones I dismissed it quickly. This certainly gives me something else to think about...

Rope - I'm very familiar with that post. I've been going through that one and the one Joker did on portable headphones. Awesome information.

If I go the cheap(er) IEM route and decide to pick up another pair of headphones for home/office, are there any recommendations beyond what I've already mentioned?

Another question, I've always loved the look of some of Sennheiser's headphones (specifically the HD598). I know they are open, but what does that really mean in terms of isolation? Is it basically what I hear, everyone else hears?

Yes, but at a much lower volume level, depending on the HP and its rate of "leakage".

Even closed back HPs have a bit of "leakage". In my opinion, as it relates to HPs, and IEMs in particular, the better the seal, the better the sound reproduction.

Rope

Welcome! Good to have you here. Yeah, I share your hesitation about the comfort of IEMs in general. All I can say is that I have a set of Phonak Audeo PFE (~$120) that, with the Comply foam tips, are comfortable enough for me to wear for hours at a time. Though I do prefer full-size headphones for critical listening... I'd say it comes down to personal preference, where you're going to use them (travel or at home), and what sort of amplification you want to delve into (full-size generally requiring more on that end).

5a63d64c_VSonicGR07400x300.jpg

Vsonic GR-07

Besides the SQ, the pluses I found with the Vsonic's is the seal, adjustable nozzels, and when inserted they're flush with the ear. I can roll-over on my side in bed and have no discomfort, in fact I wake up with them still inserted. First time that happened, I though I'd went deaf over night.

Rope

The Senn's you mentioned (HD 25) are a great idea but you may also want to try a pair of "noise cancelling" cans as well. I have used a pair by Sony as well as a model by Senn and even the overpriced Bose model. All three worked really well and were quite comfy in the long run.

The Sony's (cant remember model # but I know WalMart sells em) were really great at reducing ambient noise and still sounding fantastic.........oh........ and they were WAY comfortable too! And this coming from a Senn guy. :shhh:

Now, once we get this whole "traveling/noise reducing" thing under control and you are ready for serious headphone nervana we will have you crack out a pair of HD650's and a nice tube amp. :music-listening:

walls said:
Now, once we get this whole "traveling/noise reducing" thing under control and you are ready for serious headphone nervana we will have you crack out a pair of HD650's and a nice tube amp. :music-listening:

I'm not sure I'm ready to purchase a headphone amp. I still don't have a sub in my "theater". :oops: Once I finish the renovations on my house and purchase a sub then I'll look into a headphone amp.

After reading everyone's comments, I'm leaning heavily towards buying a cheaper IEM for travel (ideally sub-$50). With the leftover money I can then buy a pair of headphones for home/office use. Any other cheaper IEMs I should look at outside the UE 350s?

Assuming a budget of around $250-$300, any recommendations for full-size headphones? I'd prefer closed ones so I could take them into the office if I wanted, but an open pair specifically for the house isn't out of the question. :D After reading the reviews at Head-Fi, I still want to hear the V-Moda M80s, but I think I can probably find something a bit better in my price range.

Unless you need ABSOLUTE silence and you're playing your music LOUD, I don't think you need to worry so much about having open backed headphones in your office... and frankly, if they're sealed, you're likely to miss hearing a phone ring or a co-worker trying to get your attention. At my old office, there were quite a few people that listened to headphones while they worked, and they all had open backed headphones.

TKoP said:
Unless you need ABSOLUTE silence and you're playing your music LOUD, I don't think you need to worry so much about having open backed headphones in your office... and frankly, if they're sealed, you're likely to miss hearing a phone ring or a co-worker trying to get your attention. At my old office, there were quite a few people that listened to headphones while they worked, and they all had open backed headphones.

No, I don't need absolute silence and I definitely do not want to miss a phone ring or a co-worker talking to me. I work in a cube-style office. Each cube has one ≈6 ft high wall that separates each row and two ≈4 ft high walls that separate each cube (pretty typical I think...). I play my music on as LOW a volume as possible. I'm also not worried about having full sized headphones in the office (looks wise).

My goal for a travel pair of headphones is not total isolation either. I just don't want to have to turn my music up on the plane to a level that will damage my hearing (I guess I'm a little paranoid...). Would I be able to get away with a pair of portable on/over-ear headphones or am I better off going with a cheap IEM paired with a nice open headphone?

REWalk86 said:
TKoP said:
My goal for a travel pair of headphones is not total isolation either. I just don't want to have to turn my music up on the plane to a level that will damage my hearing (I guess I'm a little paranoid...). Would I be able to get away with a pair of portable on/over-ear headphones or am I better off going with a cheap IEM paired with a nice open headphone?

My opinion is to go with the second option, an inexpensive IEM and a nice pair of open cans. When I'm on the plane, unless the headphones seal (via IEM or with a set of closed headphones) the ambient noise of the plane would require too much volume to overcome.

Nobodu has thrown out this rec so I will....... if you want a great pair of BUDGET cans try a pair of Koss KSC-75's. I use em with my Ipod when running or biking and they are incredible for the money. I bought 7 pairts when the RatShack was clearing them out for $5. Even my wife uses them, even she thinks they sound great and are very comfy.

And I still have 4 unopened pairs....huint hint.

walls said:
And I still have 4 unopened pairs....huint hint.

Thanks for the offer walls...I noticed it a few hours too late.

I went with option number 2 (typing that I feel like I'm on a game show...). After reading over Joker's multi-IEM review on head-fi again and reviews on Amazon, etc. I narrowed it down to the UE 350 that Zing recommended, MEElectronics A151 and Etymotic MC5. I ended up going with the A151s. They should be here by the end of the week.

Now I have to pick out an open pair of headphones...which I'm sure will be easier said than done. Besides the Senn HD650s are there any other recommendations? As I mentioned earlier, my budget is $250-$300.

The usual recommendations are AKG K701 and Denon D2000 (I would prefer the latter, personally). Dunno if you're familiar with head-fi.org, but that's the best source of info for headphones, though it's a bit of a zoo... also a good place to look for good condition used gear, and to sell stuff if you don't like it or want to try something different.

Personally my daily use headphone is a modified Denon D5000 that I got used on head-fi for (I think) around $250.

I didnt care for the 701's, IMO they sound way thin. With yur budget I would look either for a new pair of HD598's or a used pair of HD650's.

I have yet to hear the Denon's.......but they will most likely be my next purchase.

PaulyT said:
The usual recommendations are AKG K701 and Denon D2000 (I would prefer the latter, personally). Dunno if you're familiar with head-fi.org, but that's the best source of info for headphones, though it's a bit of a zoo... also a good place to look for good condition used gear, and to sell stuff if you don't like it or want to try something different.

Personally my daily use headphone is a modified Denon D5000 that I got used on head-fi for (I think) around $250.

Yes, I'm familiar with head-fi. I've been reading the forums there more than I care to admit over the past few weeks. I've learned a lot, but I still have a ways to go. I've been away from the hobby for awhile (bought a house, got married and spent the last few years renovating). That's why I still haven't bought a sub. I've been wanting to get back into it, but haven't had the time or funds. Starting to travel gave me a reason to look at headphones and that was all it took to light the fuse. That being said, I feel like headphones may be dangerous! More so than speakers at least. With there being so many options and their ease of buying/selling compared to full-size speakers, I can see this becoming an obsession.

My current short list: AKG 701 and Senn HD598. I'm also looking at the Grado SR225/325 and Beyerdynamic DT880/990. The HD650s are about $100 more than the HD598s. Does anyone have any insight into if this is $100 well spent?

All of those are VERY good headphones. You cannot go wrong with any of them.

I was not overly impressed with the Senn HD580 I had for a while, compared to either the AKG or Denon. But I have not spent any significant time with an HD650 aside from a casual listen, so I really can't compare. And I'm not sure where the 598 lies in that line... there are so many models in there I can't keep track.

Yes headphone stuff can be addictive, I understand that well. I spent quite some time with it a couple years back, and with tube headphone amps as well. But now that I've settled on a system I like very much, I'm happy to keep out of the fray for a while!

I got my new IEMs in the mail today. Considering what they cost, I'm really impressed with the build quality. I just spent the last few hours trying them out. I tried all the tips that came with them and decided to use the tri-flanges for the time being. I think they sound the best, are the easiest to use (in terms of getting a good seal and having them not fall out) and isolate the best.

The isolation is impressive as I only have to play my music on minimal volume and the TV across the room all but disappears, but I'm definitely worried about comfort. I'm going to give myself some time to get used to them and see what happens. After about a half hour I started to feel some discomfort and after having them out for over an hour I still feel like I have something in my ears. Based on the isolation, though, I think I made the right decision for travel.

My initial impressions regarding the sound are that it far exceeds my old BOSE earbuds, which cost twice as much. I find them to be laid back in the sense that they don't have loud, punchy bass, but a more balanced, clear sound. That being said, I don't feel like the bass is lacking, its just not overblown like the earbuds I've used in the past. Very positive impression thus far.

I hope to make a decision regarding my other headphone purchase in the next few weeks. At the moment, I'm leaning towards the AKG K702, but we'll see. It's tough to make a decision based only on reviews.

Back