• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

In the Market for a New Flat Panel?

I have a question about this:

I'll admit I'm not wild about the HDMI situation. That's enough for, say, cable and Roku boxes, but what if you also want to connect a game console? Or Blu-ray player? Now you're going to need an HDMI switch box and all the hassles that go with it. If you've got a lot of stuff you want to plug in, consider another TV. (For shame, LG. On a panel of this size, three ports at a bare minimum.)

Don't most people direct all their HDMI inputs into the receiver/pre-pro, and just send one cable to the TV? Or is that just us HT geeks? :ugeek: :think:

I'm kind of tempted by this. For the most part I really like my current 47" LG LED with local dimming, but the motion blur of this TV drives me crazy sometimes. Plus, that very narrow "frame" on the plasma would look sooo sexy on my wall... I probably shouldn't have anything to drink tonight. :naughty:

Botch said:
I have a question about this:

I'll admit I'm not wild about the HDMI situation. That's enough for, say, cable and Roku boxes, but what if you also want to connect a game console? Or Blu-ray player? Now you're going to need an HDMI switch box and all the hassles that go with it. If you've got a lot of stuff you want to plug in, consider another TV. (For shame, LG. On a panel of this size, three ports at a bare minimum.)

Don't most people direct all their HDMI inputs into the receiver/pre-pro, and just send one cable to the TV? Or is that just us HT geeks? :ugeek: :think: ............

I think most people have either just the TV or they go with a HTiB setup or sound bar.

So yeah, that's just us HT geeks.

Hell, I'm tempted by that price as well, to upgrade from my humble 46" - for half the price I paid for it (albeit many years ago).

This review is for the LG LED not the plasma in the link but for the cost of around 550.00 you may want to consider the LED instead.

Today I got the LG 50LN5200 LED TV and the only difference is the 5300 has one more HDMI input. I have to say this is an impressive picture. At first I wasn't that impressed but after getting the settings from an AVS thread by a guy who professionally calibrates TV's I used his settings and wow did the picture ever come alive. I had to manually adjust all six color settings (three adjustments per color) but when I was done was I ever impressed. It did a great job with Directv (best on all my sets even my Pioneer Elite) and 1080p was spectacular. Although this isn't the 60" I got the 50" for 398.00 on Cyber Monday.

This unit only has one HDMI but since all my devices go through my DVDO scaler I only needed one HDMI cable to go to the TV. I can say the LG has an overscan of 3.1% but considering my Samsung Plasma had 5.6% overscan this wasn't too bad. The unit is very light but be warned your gonna want to calibrate the image cause it sucks right out of the box but once calibrated it ranks up there with a display costing 1,000 - 1,500.00

There are no bells and whistles with anything under the 5400 series of LG TV's but I don't watch 3D and my Appletv and Smart Bluray player have all the apps so didn't need to spend money on a smart TV. It is only 60Hz but didn't notice any blurring while watching a college football game. PQ was excellent don't know about sound because I use my Denon 3808 but from the reviews the sound on the LG's is piss poor but hey we're an AV forum so I assume none of us yes TV speakers.

This was an excellent buy and the 60" can be had for around 550.00 so definitely worth it.

Here are the calibration settings in case anyone buys the LG LED 5400 and under sets. The IR settings can't be changed in the 5200 but can in the higher model numbers I've included them. You are gonna want to use these settings it makes all the difference than afterwards use Picture Wizard to slightly tweak the overall image.

Backlight: 40 (I calibrated for a brighter screen(50 FTL) than the standard(30-40). Reducing backlight by 10-15 will bring you closer to 40 FTL)
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 50
H/V sharpness: 10/10 (defaults were perfect for 1080p sources, may need to change depending on different source)
Color: 50
Tint: 0

Expert Controls-
Color Gamut: Wide
Gamma: 2.2
Color temperature: Warm 2
2 point high point: 5R, 0G, -3B

CMS controls-
Red: 4, -4, 0
Green: 0, -5, 0
Blue: -1, 5, 0
Cyan: default