• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

inceiling speakers

Maximo

Is there any rule of thumb or guidance as to how close to the side and back walls to mounts them?

I have four. Two to the sides of my main veiwing area and two behind.

Maximo said:
Thanks Dennie! I only have one shot at this and don;t want to get it wrong.

I hear you Max, I installed my surrounds in wall and my back surrounds in ceiling and my house is Plaster and Lathe, so you only get one chance to do it right!

Good luck and don't forget to use painters tape around the wholes. I put painters tape on the wall/ceiling and drew my lines on the tape and cut through the tape. It kept the wall from cracking or chipping because of he saw.

Keep us posted,

Dennie

Maximo said:
Check later in the document. They have a setup that has them farther apart.

I saw that but I didn't make myself clear. I don't understand why the THX setup has the rear speakers so close together because that position would seem to somewhat negate the localization of sounds in those 2 channels.

Orbison said:
I saw that but I didn't make myself clear. I don't understand why the THX setup has the rear speakers so close together because that position would seem to somewhat negate the localization of sounds in those 2 channels.

Doesn't THX also still show multi-pole surrounds in their recommended setup? In other words, I don't know how much they've updated their info.

John

So what do you think about an arbitrary distance of 1 foot from the side and back walls? The tweeters on myspeakers are not pointable So I figured they should be closer to the listening position but if I put them closer to the wall they will get some bass reinforcment. What say you?

Maximo said:
So what do you think about an arbitrary distance of 1 foot from the side and back walls? The tweeters on myspeakers are not pointable So I figured they should be closer to the listening position but if I put them closer to the wall they will get some bass reinforcment. What say you?
I'd lean more towards 1.5-2' depending on the dimensions of your room...of course the ceiling joists will dictate to a degree where the holes will land once you decide on a approximate distance, so make sure you use a stud finder... you also may find if the room is narrow that you want the sides speakers closer to the wall than the rears are to the back wall or vice versa if the room is wide.

room is 14.5 by 18.5 with the tv on the 14.5 wall. If I am lucky I will post some pics tonight.

Back