• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Industry expects BD sales to nearly double this year...

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120514PB201.html

Global demand for BD discs may grow to 400 million units in 2012, says PIDA

EDN, May 14; Adam Hwang, DIGITIMES [Monday 14 May 2012]

Taiwan-based Photonics Industry & Technology Development Association (PIDA) has indicated global demand for Blu-ray Disc (BD) discs is likely to grow from 210 million units in 2011 to 400 million units in 2012, according to the Chinese-language newspaper Economic Daily News (EDN).

Taiwan-based CMC Magnetics produces 25GB single-sided single-layer and 50GB single-sided double-layer blank BD-R (recordable) discs, while fellow maker Ritek produce 25GB model, EDN indicated.

They would sell a lot more of them if they would stop trying to get people to pay $25+ dollars for them. I just love the way they've been bemoaning low sales while pricing them at $35.

Haywood said:
They would sell a lot more of them if they would stop trying to get people to pay $25+ dollars for them. I just love the way they've been bemoaning low sales while pricing them at $35.

The most I will pay for a single disc movie is $20 and only if I really want it. My average price via used or just waiting is about $15-17, with some as low as $6.

Do the economics....

In the current environment with current pricing models, sales are expected to double. If they are going to double, is there a real need to change the pricing model to sell more? In any business, achieving a 100% growth rate is considered extremely successful - especially if they can achieve that rate without cutting prices.

I would be curious as to what DVD sales are expected to do in that same time frame. Is it really growth if it comes at the expense of another format? That's not saying it isn't here to stay, and they probably will make more on the Bluray format, but are they really going to sell more movies?

Huey said:
I would be curious as to what DVD sales are expected to do in that same time frame. Is it really growth if it comes at the expense of another format? That's not saying it isn't here to stay, and they probably will make more on the Bluray format, but are they really going to sell more movies?

Did a quick look at Amazon and they don't even have stand alone "rack" DVD players listed. There are DVD recorders. DVD-VCR combos and portable DVD players. At BB online it seems the stand alone rack most of the DVD players are going for under $50. I'd say the DVD format it is on life support.

mzpro5 said:
Huey said:

Did a quick look at Amazon and they don't even have stand alone "rack" DVD players listed. There are DVD recorders. DVD-VCR combos and portable DVD players. At BB online it seems the stand alone rack most of the DVD players are going for under $50. I'd say the DVD format it is on life support.

That's what I figured. Not saying there isn't growth, but curious if it truly a double sales situation. I'm also surprised at this with the number of movies that are being streamed and downloaded.

Huey said:
mzpro5 said:
Huey said:

That's what I figured. Not saying there isn't growth, but curious if it truly a double sales situation. I'm also surprised at this with the number of movies that are being streamed and downloaded.

That being said Wally world still has a far larger number of DVD's than BD's.

Also am in a running discussion with my local rental place. The do not get BD's of every new release and sometimes they will only get 1-2 BD copies. When I asked the guy why he said he hasn't seen much growth in BD rentals. It took me a long time to get him to realize that if he didn't add more BD copies to his inventory he will not see an increase in BD rentals.

mzpro5 said:
It took me a long time to get him to realize that if he didn't add more BD copies to his inventory he will not see an increase in BD rentals.
:shock:
Watch, he'll be running a Wall Street bank in 8 years...
:doh:

Back