• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Interview with Andrew Jones of Elac: speaker design a balancing act

Dude... I've written at length about thermal compression. This is one reason why some speakers sound better at higher spls and others at lower spls

C'mon Flint, give an average IQ guy a break. I can't remember and absorb all the knowledge, you put out there. Just little chunks here and there, but thanks for your reply.

Heat is an incredibly important parameter. It also plays a huge role in why HiFi speakers sound good at low levels, but PA speaker don't - and visa versa. When I designed custom passive crossovers for PA speakers, I tested and measured the performance ant 10 to 50 Watts input, while with home HiFi speakers I preferred 1 to 2 watts input power. This stuff makes a huge difference.

Think about it... the if you design a single pole passive crossover for 2,000 Hz based on a perfect 8 ohm impedance from the driver, it may work in the low power range of 0 to 1 watt, but if you get into the 5 to 10 watt range, the inductor will be too small while the capacitor will be too big. Meaning, the crossover frequency of the tweeter may have a crossover at 4,000 Hz and the woofer a crossover at 1,000Hz at high power input - or high SPLs. If you design a double pole or higher order crossover it gets even worse!!!

This is why since the 90s I've advocated for active crossovers with no passive components (other than resistors for ribbon or planar drivers) as it ensures the crossover parameters remain constant at all listening levels. It also allows for direct coupling of the amp to the driver which makes for the real benefits of damping factor which go away with a double order or higher crossover.

I will add, this adds to the one of the real benefits of large planar speakers which do not usually have heat related issues.

Back