• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Ipod repair????

Randy

Superstar
So my daughter has just trashed her 3rd Ipod in as many years. The last one was an Ipod Touch that I bought an extended warranty for. I told her when she got it (at Christmas) that if she ruined it, she would not get another one. I didn't tell her I bought the Ex-Warranty cuz I knew she would not give a crap about it.

Well, I have started the warranty claim and I WILL HAVE A NEW IPOD TOUCH SOON.

Which brings me to my point. She also has an older Ipod Nano that got wet when one of her friends threw her in the pool with it in her pocket. So I am considering trying to get it repaired if it is cost effective.

Is it worth it or not????

Where to take it or send it???

Any help or ideas are apprecited as I am an Ipod IDIOT!!!

I'd be surprised if the Nano is repairable for less than the cost of a new one. I wouldn't know where to send it but I wouldn't trust anyone but Apple with such a thing.

I don't even try to get CD players or car stereos repaired anymore; they just can't do it, you're out the repair money, and end up buying something new to replace it anyway.

Personal electronic devices such as phones, iPods etc are considered non-repairable by manufacturers. With a warranty claim, they will replace it rather than repair it.

Thanx guys I guess i will just dumpster it and maybe replace it with a refurb.

Akin to computer keyboards and other electronics, if you spill liquid in them, trash um.

Rope

Randy said:
Thanx guys I guess i will just dumpster it and maybe replace it with a refurb.

My friend washed his Ipod nano in his pants pocket. He let it dry out without turning it on and after about a week, it worked perfectly.

Have you tried it? Might work!

Just a thought,

Dennie

Oh and I have a friend who bought a new nano and he hates it. No "Wheel" buttons, the new one is touch screen and did I mention he hates it.

Dennie,
I have not tried doing a reset through the websites tech support. I tried that on her Touch and it did not work. Since we know it got wet they said go ahead and send it in. BTW, so far squaretrade warranties kicks ass. My brother reccomended them to me and they have been awesome.

I will try to reset the nano tomorrow but if it doesn't work I guess I will trash it.

Randy said:
Dennie,
I have not tried doing a reset through the websites tech support. I tried that on her Touch and it did not work. Since we know it got wet they said go ahead and send it in. BTW, so far squaretrade warranties kicks ass. My brother reccomended them to me and they have been awesome.

I will try to reset the nano tomorrow but if it doesn't work I guess I will trash it.
Yeah, it's worth a try and if it dosen't work, trash it!

Thanks for the nod to "Squaretrade". Good to know. :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

So far they have literally walked me thru the process step by step including how they wanted me to send a copy of the receipt from Amazon.

Both guys at sqauretrade that I have talked to have been super. I WILL USE THEM AGAIN. Only problem, my brother told me, is they will warranty used stuff off ebay, but wont warranty a refurb bought from Apple?????

Randy said:

fwiw... If your daughter's Nano is still broken, it might get you a 10% discount off a new iPod at an Apple Store.

It's part of their recycling program at the Apple Store. Granted, their prices are probably higher than Amazon, plus I don't know how long you get to claim your discount, so maybe it's worthless unless you were planning to buy something right away? I dunno. Regardless, I'm just throwing the idea out there.

Check out craigslist, I see TONS of ads locally here for guys offering to repair iPhones, iPods etc for $20 to $50. Glass replacement, new batteries etc...

D

Thanks Kazaam thats good to know.

I will check craigslist also, cuz my brother told me he knows there is a place in st louis that does ipod repair but he couldnt remember where it was.

Back