• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Is a 3DTV worth considering?

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
I know a while back I was asking about smart TVs and the replies I got seemed to suggest getting a "vanilla" TV with the best picture for the money and add a Roku. Well, I don't have the TV yet, but do have the Roku and love it compared to accessing the same apps as my LG Bluray player. The Roku's only downside is no You Tube.

So when I do get a new TV, is 3D worth considering? At one time I envisioned a nice sized TV behind my bar and watching a ball game in 3D with some friends since some of the Samsung sets come with 4 pairs of glasses. Now that ESPN3D is gone and fewer Bluray releases being advertized as 3D, is the 3D buzz losing ground? Is it going to be like where SACD and DVD-A are at now? For those who recently bought a TV and/or are looking, how high is 3D on your list?

I'm not TV shopping and hopefully not about to, but I will say that if I were, 3D would be every bit as compelling a feature as access to a 24/7 rundown of what Ryan Seacrest is up to this very moment.

In other words, I'd not pay one thin dime more for it and if it was included with the TV I wanted I'd never plan to use it. I've just never been sold on 3D... I wear glasses as it is and don't feel the need to wear another set just for added depth to the picture.

I'm just barely on the other side of the fence. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way for 3D television for the living room I but would pay a just a little more than I would for a 2D set (maybe a hundred or two) if all other things are equal. In a living room setting I don't see me using the 3D much

But ... I'm a fan of well done 3D movies so I will pay a reasonable premium for a 3D capable projector for the HT if/when I replace mine.

If I were buying a TV today I would consider having a good 3D capable model worth an extra 5% to 10% over non-3D models. However, I would also need to upgrade my source gear to enjoy it, so the desire is low.

That said, I adore well made 3D content, and it does exist.

3D is a white elephant conjured up by panel manufacturers. However, you look really cool wearing goggles to view 3D content, and as an added bonus when using the restroom while wearing 3D goggles you'll never hit the toilet.

Rope

I have an active glasses 3-D tv, a lot of the benefits depend on how well the effect's are done. Tron is still the best live action 3D movie I have seen so far, will have to try the Hobbit soon to see how it compares. Most of the sports shows looked very cool in 3D, I wish the glasses fit as well as my passive after market ones I take to the movie theatre.

I don't really see 3d as something you'd want to view while sitting around a bar particularly when trying to converse over a glass of beer...it's really more of a projection/big screen experience IMHO where you sit back enjoy the show, etc. I hope as long as the studios release theatrical 3d movies that they'll also continue to release the 3d version in BD. Like some of the others here, I LOVE 3d when done properly. I have about 40-50 3d BDs and counting...

I'm really Jonesin for a new display upstairs. I think it may finally be time for the ole Sony Wega to go bye bye.

I won't be looking at 3D as a factor at all cuz like Flint said, I would have to upgrade my source components so it is a non issue to me.

About the biggest drawback for me watching a 3D movie in my house is, the reflections that show up on the inside of the glasses can be distracting. Keeps me from being totally immersed.

Friend of mine just got a deal on a LG 3D TV. His choices were a regular LG flat panel for $X, or a LG 3D TV of the same size + sound bar + 4 pairs of glasses for an additional $100. He went for the extras and I can't say I blame him. But at this point...3D for me is just another sticker on a TV. If the display I liked the most had it...so be it. If it did not, same...

So, is it worth considering...absolutely. Is it worth paying a substantial difference in cost...doubtfully. And the possible added cost of a 3D player may add to your sway...

Our 59" Samsung Plasma has 3D and Glasses. Watched some poor quality 3D from DirecTV and put the glasses away and never touched them again.

Our Projector in our HT is 3D however did not come with the emitter or glasses, at this point in time there has been no consideration to purchase them. Not even a discussion.

I have seen high quality 3D a couple of times and I am not head over heels for it.............a high quality 2D picture is great for our tastes.

I believe there will be a demonstration of 3d that do not require glasses at the CES or maybe the next one. That may change the market in time.

Batman said:
I don't really see 3d as something you'd want to view while sitting around a bar particularly when trying to converse over a glass of beer......

I disagree, just a little, about that. If ESPN3D was still available, I could see a few friends sitting at my bar watching a game while tipping a few back. Now that it's gone, a 3DTV behind the bar seems excessive and pointless.

Towen7 said:
I'm just barely on the other side of the fence. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way for 3D television for the living room I but would pay a just a little more than I would for a 2D set (maybe a hundred or two) if all other things are equal. In a living room setting I don't see me using the 3D much

But ... I'm a fan of well done 3D movies so I will pay a reasonable premium for a 3D capable projector for the HT if/when I replace mine.

This is where I'm leaning initially. I'm thinking about a bigger display (55-65") for the living room, then move the plasma I have now behind the bar. I might try to pull the trigger after Thanksgiving.

MUDSHARK said:
I believe there will be a demonstration of 3d that do not require glasses at the CES or maybe the next one. That may change the market in time.

Two years ago I saw at least 4 demonstrations of glass-free 3D TVs at CES. They didn't work very well. The best was with Sharp where you had to stand at a specific location and look through a frame at the TV which was about 8 feet away. It looked pretty good, but in real live we don't always sit at the perfect spot to watch TV.

I will be there again this year, so I'll check them out to see if they are any better.

Back