• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Is It Time For 5.1?

[What are you looking for in features?HDMI switching, 3d capable? I think just finding the least expensive model with pre outs should buy you all of the other necessary functions.[/quote]

It must have HDMI Switching, I think that is all of the bells and whistles that I need as far as functionality. Pre-outs is also necessary.

Doghart said:
That Denon 4310 ci on amazon had Audissy and HDMI (no 3D support on the hdmi though). for around 950....

Networking capability opens up your AV system to audio and jpeg photo streaming and Internet radio.
HDMI 1.3a Repeating (5 input, 2 output, one front panel) provides one cable connection between the receiver and TV
1080p HDMI connectivity supports Blu-ray disc surround sound formats, including Dolby TrueHD and DD+, dts-HD and dts-HR
Audyssey DSX and Dolby Labs Pro Logic IIz Matrix decoding featuring front height effects channels
Audyssey MultEQ XT, Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR4310CI-7 ... =8-1-fkmr0

D

I have internet streaming capability through the Squeeze Box. As far as the other bells and whistles, not interested. Just looking for a receiver with Pre-outs and HDMI Inputs and good dynamic response.

So know one has offered up a recommended combination of receiver and rear and center speakers for this upgrade to match well with my existing equipment?????

This is easily the most confusing thread I've ever read. I think many people have made specific recommendations, but you say they haven't.

Here's the deal - it doesn't matter which receiver you use as long as it works properly and sounds good. The speakers are not relevant to that choice.

The speakers need to match your main stereo speakers, so get a set of Studio 20 stand mounted speakers which are from the same generation as the Studio 60s you own now. I also recommend one Studio 20 as the center. That way the critical tonality and phase performance will be very close to the main speakers - a very important aspect of good surround performance.

So, pickup whatever receiver floats your boat and get a set of matching Studio 20s for the surrournds. That means buying the speakers used.

heeman said:
So know one has offered up a recommended combination of receiver and rear and center speakers for this upgrade to match well with my existing equipment?????

Sure, I did. Either a matching Studio CC from Paradigm and misc. Rears or find some used Paradigms in the Mini Monitor or Atom realm. Any receiver in your price range should do, just depends on personal preference.

Different meanings of suggestions??? Specfic vs. Vague???

Thanks for all of your help, will let you know what I decide.

AH FUCK IT!!!!

I was going to ask for more help, but you guys probably think you answered my question already!!!

:laughing-rolling:

I'm on the same page with -B-,

I would go for a matching Studio CC (most of the speaker budget), and then get something far less expensive like the Atoms for surrounds. If funds permit then sure buy surround Studio 20s

I have found that I really only use my surrounds now for movies and that doesn't demand a lot of performance. Almost all my music listening is with just my 2 fronts.

Nothing wrong with using a 5.1 setup as a stereo only source too. Like Yromj mentioned, many of us do that.

My guess is, you are still going to have a lot of 2 channel use as opposed to 5.1 channel use with this system right? I am partial to Denon, so take that with a grain of salt, and because of that I would recommend the Denon 3311 receiver with 2 pairs of Paradigm Studio 20s that are the same versions as your 60s. You could also go with one pair of Studio 20s and one pair of Paradigm Titans to save a bit more money. The Titans would be your surrounds and you could use one of the Studio 20s as your center speaker and sell the other 20 to recoup some of the costs.

My Studio 60's are from 1999.

I have looked and I'm having trouble finding good used Paradigm Studio's used.

I am leaning toward New Mini Monitors for the Rears and a CC 190 0R CC 290 for the CC.

I will also need to Ceiling Mount the Mini's and face them down toward the rear listening area. Any suggestions on mounts????

I like Omnimount, but they can be pricey and require drilling into the cabinet more often than not. I lucked out on my Dynaudio SRs and the omni brackets aligned perfectly with existing holes. Unless you construct a custom bracket, most mounts that provide a ceiling mount option may require drilling though.

heeman said:

I am leaning toward New Mini Monitors for the Rears and a CC 190 0R CC 290 for the CC.

I will also need to Ceiling Mount the Mini's and face them down toward the rear listening area. Any suggestions on mounts????

The version of speakers should be listed on the back near the binding posts (at least I think so). I think yours might be v3.

As for mounts, you could use TV mounts mounted high up on the walls. That's what I use for my Mackies. This would also keep you from having to drill in the speaker itself. They are pretty cheap too as mine were about $14/ea from Parts Express.

EDIT: Do a search for Peerless TV mounts. Parts Express no longer carries the ones I have. The closest are $40/ea. :(

Yesfan70 said:
heeman said:

The version of speakers should be listed on the back near the binding posts (at least I think so). I think yours might be v3.

As for mounts, you could use TV mounts mounted high up on the walls. That's what I use for my Mackies. This would also keep you from having to drill in the speaker itself. They are pretty cheap too as mine were about $14/ea from Parts Express.

EDIT: Do a search for Peerless TV mounts. Parts Express no longer carries the ones I have. The closest are $40/ea. :(
I was thinking that too, as many have used that idea effectively here including -B-, but then I thought the Mini-monitors may be a tad smallish for even the smallest TV wall mounts...I guess for $14 though, you could always cut the metal shelf down to size.

Batman said:
Wow. Yamahas must sound pretty damn good to have that many shortcomings and still be ~2nd on ones short list of recommendations...

I'm in the "most all receivers sound very nearly the same" boat, so the sound isn't too much of an issue. Onkyo is my first choice by quite a bit, especially in this price range. That's more of what I was trying to get across - the gap (for me) between my 1st and 2nd choices.

One brand I forgot to mention, though, was Marantz. I haven't been around their stuff in a few generations but I loved the one I had.

John

No Luck on Version ID on my Studio 60's. The only ID is Studio 60 and a Serial Number. Most likely the first version.

heeman said:
No Luck on Version ID on my Studio 60's. The only ID is Studio 60 and a Serial Number. Most likely the first version.
I think you're right. If they were another version, I believe it would be displayed.

Just to be sure though, an email to Paradigm, listing the serial number(s), would yield a definitive answer.

Zing said:
heeman said:
I think you're right. If they were another version, I believe it would be displayed.

Just to be sure though, an email to Paradigm, listing the serial number(s), would yield a definitive answer.

I believe this info is correct, any versions are usually next to said model id. My studios said V.2 and my atoms say V.2

To add, I use Atoms in my bedroom, they sound incredible for the money. Especially since I nabbed them for $40 on craigslist!

That CC 450 looks like a nice deal.

I have a couple of bids on Ebay for Studio 20's. 1 set is V1 like my 60's and the other set is V2.

I would plan to use one of the V1 as the center and the pair of V2 for the rears.

Back