• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Is overscan still a problem with new TVs?

Kazaam

I've had a Samsung 50 inch plasma for maybe 9 years, and it has a tendency to cut off the bottom of images, such as sports tickers. And when I recently had a chance to borrow a Roku, I realized just how bad it is. For instance, the Vudu app on my bluray player has settings to try and compensate for the overscan. But the Vudu app on the Roku lacked those settings. Hoping that maybe its because newer TVs don't have overscan issues anymore?

There should be an overscan adjustment in the Vudu client on the Roku box. I used it with my old RPTV.

The new LCD and OLED sets don't have this problem.

That's good. Think I read years ago that overscan shouldn't even be necessary now that we have digital transmissions, but figured maybe my TV is old enough that it was maybe caught in a transition period.

Was just starting to look at TV prices and wouldn't be surprised if I bought one a year from now.

Have you checked the price of the new Roku TV's ?
$400 for a 43" Insignia (which is made by LG) 4k at Best Buy.

Built in Roku would be nice. Though I'm looking at 55" models. Wish the $900 Samsung at Best Buy had HDR because then I might would impulse it (which I probably shouldn't). Plus, I like the stand on it more than their more expensive SUHD models that I think probably do have HDR.

But what's the deal with so many of the higher-end models going back to silver? I like my TVs to be black. Not gray or silver; heck, not even black with gray or silver trim.

Maybe if I don't get HDR then all I need is 1080p, but just knowing 4K is going to be on just about all the large screen models in the near future probably stops me. Even if it's overkill, I'd still kinda like to have 4K, just because my current TV has been 'good enough' at 720p whilst everyone else in the world has been enjoying 1080p sets, and I'd like to avoid a repeat of a similar situation.

HDR really hasn't been finalized yet. Every manufacture & movie studio has their own way to include it/display it. Theres also Dolby Vision.
Heck, Roku still is trying to figure out how/what HDR is before they can do a firmware update to include HDR in the stream. Heck, Roku 4 only outputs 4k/60, not 4k/24. Amazon is just now streaming a few UHD movies with HDR.
If you can wait & let the dust settle and just window shop for awhile, that would be my suggestion. I couldn't wait, I didn't have a TV in my man cave.

Barney said:
HDR really hasn't been finalized yet. Every manufacture & movie studio has their own way to include it/display it. Theres also Dolby Vision.
Heck, Roku still is trying to figure out how/what HDR is before they can do a firmware update to include HDR in the stream. Heck, Roku 4 only outputs 4k/60, not 4k/24. Amazon is just now streaming a few UHD movies with HDR.
If you can wait & let the dust settle and just window shop for awhile, that would be my suggestion. I couldn't wait, I didn't have a TV in my man cave.

HDR was completely finalized as of January CES. The base standard is called HDR 10. Dolby Vision is an optional standard that can be configured with HDR 10 as the base layer. All UHD Blu-Ray discs support HDR10, but there is at least one streaming service that does not (Vudu). The interesting bit is that neither Sony nor Samsung support Dolby Vision and they are two of the three top manufacturers of higher end sets. LG and Vizio support Dolby Vision on some of their sets.

Roku knows what the standard is. They have a reference design for HDR televisions. The problem is that they have shifted their focus from set top boxes to televisions and are not prioritizing the Roku 4, which is one of the reasons I have not bought one.

There are not that many options for full HDR sets right now. You need to be aware of the distinction between HDR compatibility and true HDR. True HDR requires either OLED or FALD. That limits you to some of the upper end Samsung SUHD sets, the Sony 930D or 940D, some of the LG OLED sets, the Vizio Reference series and a handful of other sets. There is a standard called UHD Premium that guarantees that a set meets all of the requirements for brightness, black level, etc., but this standard is a bit like THX certification. There is licensing involved and lack of certification does not mean that a set does not meet the standard. Sony is one of the manufacturers that has thus far opted out and they have some of the best sets out there.

If your budget is somewhat restricted, you can still get wide color gamut and great blacks with some of the HDR compatible sets. I think the 850D series by Sony looks very good, for instance. The Vizio M series is still REC 709 (so no wide color gamut) and does not have HDR, but it does have FALD and looks absolutely fantastic for the money. It is probably the best bang for the buck at $800 for a 55-inch set.

Careful there, there are HDR compatible LCD computer monitors, so the limitation isn't with the technology, but the choices TV manufacturers are making. You can buy PC monitors which support full HDR color and brightness ranges, and then some, but they are costly and tend to have a narrow viewing angle.

Flint said:
Careful there, there are HDR compatible LCD computer monitors, so the limitation isn't with the technology, but the choices TV manufacturers are making. You can buy PC monitors which support full HDR color and brightness ranges, and then some, but they are costly and tend to have a narrow viewing angle.

I didn't say they did not exist, only that there were not very many and that they are expensive. The set I just bought is full HDR, but it cost $6000 and the new model is $8000.

Oops. Never mind. You were probably replying to Barney.

Back