1. Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Folks, I'm playing with the behavior of the titles and banners; you may want to read the relevant thread in the Forum Suggestions area.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
    Dismiss Notice

It

Discussion in 'Movies' started by jamhead, Sep 1, 2017.

1. jamhead

jamhead Well-Known Member

Absolutely loved the book.....

Hated the TV series......

Can't wait for the movie......

2. TKoP

TKoP Well-Known Member

Everything you just said.

The only highlight for the TV series was Tim Curry. Everyone else, absolute crap.

3. Randy

Randy Well-Known Member Famous

^^^Yes^^^ I didn't know some of those guys could be so bad.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Famous

We saw this during a matinee last Friday. Was really good and creepy as F@#k. I'm not familiar with the source material or the 90s TV series, but we enjoyed this one a lot.

5. Randy

Randy Well-Known Member Famous

My office mate who is really into horror movies said it was fantastic. She loved the book and hated the mini series.

6. TKoP

TKoP Well-Known Member

I just saw it last night. I liked it, but I didn't love it like I was hoping I was. I think I was thinking it would be scarier.. I think Stranger Things was as scary for a comparison. Maybe not quite, but close.

So things I liked:
    1. Pennywise -- Tim Curry set the bar HIGH for Pennywise's protrayal. Bill SkarsgÄrd took a different path and, to me, succeeded in making it his own.
    2. Cinematography -- I thought it was done really well.
    3. Creep Factor -- They scored on this one. The movie was more creepy than scary.
    4. Book to Film Conversion -- The writers did a good job of editing out some of the more bizarre bits from the book, but keeping the same tone (from what I remember at least) and plot points. There was one change I didn't get, but it was minor overall I think.
    5. Easter Eggs -- I caught a few nods to the book and earlier show that I always like to find.

Parts I didn't like:
    1. Scare Factor -- Like I mentioned, I was hoping for a little more of a scare factor. I never got that super tense "whatthehellisbehindthatdoor" kind of feeling. It wasn't completely absent, I was just hoping for more.
    2. Scooby Gang -- There were a couple of points in the movie where it felt a little too Disney/Hannah Barbara. And there was a couple of points in the movie where the dialogue felt, again, a little too Disney/Hannah Barbara. Probably not possible to avoid when you've got such a young cast, but it is what it is.
    Overall, I'm giving this a 4/5.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017 at 1:31 PM
    Batman likes this.
  7. Batman

^^ Pretty good assessment there......at least they dropped a few F-Bombs in there at appropriate times to break the tension.

8. CMonster

CMonster Well-Known Member

The wife and I saw it opening weekend and thought it was really good. The best part, though, was our walk home. We always take a shortcut through this one alley and halfway up I glanced over my shoulder, yelled "Oh Shit!" and did a quick shuffle-step like I was going to take off running. Scared the crap out of my wife. :bouncygrin: Luckily she's a good sport and was able to laugh about it instead of pummeling me with fists of fury.

heeman and Randy like this.
  9. Huey

Huey Well-Known Member Famous

Not into horror movies, so I probably won't see it, but I did see a press briefing with Tim Curry. It's pretty sad on how the stroke has left him. He's been in so many good movies, and a couple of turds, but I usually liked the movies he was in.

10. Batman

I'm surprised she didn't kick your ass either way!

heeman and Randy like this.
  11. TKoP

TKoP Well-Known Member

Not sure if you watched it, but if you could handle Stranger Things, I think this one would be ok. That being said, maybe wait for the rental...

And yes, I saw him post-stroke for an interview. Super sad...

Huey likes this.
  12. Huey

Huey Well-Known Member Famous

Love Stranger Things, and looking forward to season two next month. I like a lot of what Steven King has done, just tend to shy away from his more darker writings.

13. Batman

I would liken the movie to Stranger Things than to any recent horror or hard core horror by a mile. Shit, one of the actors in the Losers Club was in Stranger Things.