• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

It

jamhead

Absolutely loved the book.....

Hated the TV series......

Can't wait for the movie......

Absolutely loved the book.....

Hated the TV series......

Can't wait for the movie......

Everything you just said.

The only highlight for the TV series was Tim Curry. Everyone else, absolute crap.

We saw this during a matinee last Friday. Was really good and creepy as F@#k. I'm not familiar with the source material or the 90s TV series, but we enjoyed this one a lot.

My office mate who is really into horror movies said it was fantastic. She loved the book and hated the mini series.

I just saw it last night. I liked it, but I didn't love it like I was hoping I was. I think I was thinking it would be scarier.. I think Stranger Things was as scary for a comparison. Maybe not quite, but close.

So things I liked:
  1. Pennywise -- Tim Curry set the bar HIGH for Pennywise's protrayal. Bill Skarsgård took a different path and, to me, succeeded in making it his own.
  2. Cinematography -- I thought it was done really well.
  3. Creep Factor -- They scored on this one. The movie was more creepy than scary.
  4. Book to Film Conversion -- The writers did a good job of editing out some of the more bizarre bits from the book, but keeping the same tone (from what I remember at least) and plot points. There was one change I didn't get, but it was minor overall I think.
  5. Easter Eggs -- I caught a few nods to the book and earlier show that I always like to find.

Parts I didn't like:
  1. Scare Factor -- Like I mentioned, I was hoping for a little more of a scare factor. I never got that super tense "whatthehellisbehindthatdoor" kind of feeling. It wasn't completely absent, I was just hoping for more.
  2. Scooby Gang -- There were a couple of points in the movie where it felt a little too Disney/Hannah Barbara. And there was a couple of points in the movie where the dialogue felt, again, a little too Disney/Hannah Barbara. Probably not possible to avoid when you've got such a young cast, but it is what it is.
Overall, I'm giving this a 4/5.

Last edited:
^^ Pretty good assessment there......at least they dropped a few F-Bombs in there at appropriate times to break the tension.

The wife and I saw it opening weekend and thought it was really good. The best part, though, was our walk home. We always take a shortcut through this one alley and halfway up I glanced over my shoulder, yelled "Oh Shit!" and did a quick shuffle-step like I was going to take off running. Scared the crap out of my wife. :bouncygrin: Luckily she's a good sport and was able to laugh about it instead of pummeling me with fists of fury.

Not into horror movies, so I probably won't see it, but I did see a press briefing with Tim Curry. It's pretty sad on how the stroke has left him. He's been in so many good movies, and a couple of turds, but I usually liked the movies he was in.

The wife and I saw it opening weekend and thought it was really good. The best part, though, was our walk home. We always take a shortcut through this one alley and halfway up I glanced over my shoulder, yelled "Oh Shit!" and did a quick shuffle-step like I was going to take off running. Scared the crap out of my wife. :bouncygrin: Luckily she's a good sport and was able to laugh about it instead of pummeling me with fists of fury.
I'm surprised she didn't kick your ass either way!

Not into horror movies, so I probably won't see it, but I did see a press briefing with Tim Curry. It's pretty sad on how the stroke has left him. He's been in so many good movies, and a couple of turds, but I usually liked the movies he was in.

Not sure if you watched it, but if you could handle Stranger Things, I think this one would be ok. That being said, maybe wait for the rental...

And yes, I saw him post-stroke for an interview. Super sad...

Not sure if you watched it, but if you could handle Stranger Things, I think this one would be ok. That being said, maybe wait for the rental...

And yes, I saw him post-stroke for an interview. Super sad...
Love Stranger Things, and looking forward to season two next month. I like a lot of what Steven King has done, just tend to shy away from his more darker writings.

I would liken the movie to Stranger Things than to any recent horror or hard core horror by a mile. Shit, one of the actors in the Losers Club was in Stranger Things.

I loved the book one of my all time favorites and felt this movie did an excellent job and stayed loyal to the novel. I loved the creep factor and the smart ass comments from the kids because that is exactly how me and my friends talked when we were ten and eleven. Ranking out each other's mothers and sisters and making grand statements about how large our "members" were. I had to tell Michelle that is exactly how boys talk when girls aren't around. As a kid my mother loved my friends and I always thought, "mom if you knew how my friends would talk about having carnal knowledge of both you and my sisters your views would change in a heartbeat".

Way late on this post. I promised the wife we would watch it with my new subwoofer. She saw it in the theater but i have yet to see it. Bought it on BluRay. I hate scary movies but she did let me buy a subwoofer in new receiver.

Back