• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

heeman

PRETTY HAPPY.........
Famous
One of my favorite all time movies from when I was younger........$4.99 and they give the Video Quality Great Reviews!!!

Should have it in a couple of days!!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

25491_large.jpg

Is it the Mallwart (159 minute) or Criterion (197 minute Robert A. Harris restoration) version?

If the latter, that's one heck of a good deal!

Jeff

I know I have seen it but honestly cant remember anything about it.

I can remember the first time watching it as a kid in the 70's, and was surprised to see the Three Stooges in a brief clip as firefighters. I had a serious disconnect as to when the Stooges were actually in movies, and thought they all would have been dead by he time they made that movie. Another one of those movies that if I come across it on tv, I'll usually stop and watch it.

I have the Criterion Edition on Bluray, but I haven't had the chance to watch it yet.

I also have the Criterion version on Laserdisc, so I'm hoping the Bluray is the same or better restored version of it.

Yesfan70 said:
I have the Criterion Edition on Bluray, but I haven't had the chance to watch it yet.

I also have the Criterion version on Laserdisc, so I'm hoping the Bluray is the same or better restored version of it.
It takes more than a little effort to fully understand all of the "versions" of this film that have been released over the years. Safe to say that, as of right now, the Criterion Blu-ray Robert A. Harris restored version, at 192 minutes, is the most complete, and the highest quality version.

At most, the laserdisc version will be 182 minutes long, and its video quality won't come close to the Criterion Blu-ray.

By the by, the version that Heeman ordered is called the "Theatrical Version." Absolutely nothing wrong with its content, but if you really really like it, then you'll like the 192 minute version even more, as it contains lots of additional plot elements that help the rest to make better sense - such as the radio chatter that plays during the intermission. Also, the Criterion Blu-ray release contains the higher quality restored version of the theatrical release taken from a 70mm, rather than 35mm, print, AND is presented in the full 2.75:1 rather than 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

I can only imagine how amazing it must have been, to have seen the original 210 minute "preview" version in a theatre.

Jeff

^ I never knew anything above, thanks Mr. Mackwood!

All as I remember as a kid was watching this movie in my bedroom on my 12" XAM, Black and White TV just thinking it was the greatest thing..........

I can't wait to watch the Blu Ray..............

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

I agree Jeff about the video quality. I'm sure even the DVD versions that were out some ten years ago looked better than the LD I have, but I remember reading on S&V at that time, the laserdisc was more complete than the DVDs in those days. That was one reason I never cared to get the movie on DVD. I'm more than happy with the laserdisc's subpar quality, if it meant having more of the movie.

Glad to hear the Bluray has even more added footage and a much (very much) improved version of the laserdisc.

To expand on Jeffs post I also own the beloved Criterian "roadshow" version of the movie on Bluray granted I liked the slightly shorter "directors version" better as the "roadshow" interjects black and white film scenes and even caricature storyboard still scenes where the audio was captured but the video quality was far too degraded to restore.

The Criterian version was restored with a 4K digital film transfer of the general release of the film in 70mm and a new 5.1 DTS Master Audio (which to tell the truth doesn't add much to the film. The Criterian version comes with the theatrical version, the extended directors cut (only available on laserdisc and VHS) and now the long lost but finally found and restored "roadshow" version at 197 minutes in length.

One of my all time favorite movies and to me a comedy classic showing the lengths people will go to for 350,000 in cash buried under a big "W". Watching Spencer Tracy reaction to listening to his wife on the phone always cracks me up and how everybody hates Ethel Merman in the movie because she's such an evil creature is hilarious.

Pics of the five disc Criterian version with all three versions of the film.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 210
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 209
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 209
Back