• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Jamhead's Flagstone Patio Project

jamhead

My wife and I have wanted a patio in our natural area since we moved in about 4 years ago. Our yard slopes from the house down to a creek behind our fence, and so when we are on our deck, we are about 10 feet above the ground. We wanted to have the ability to use our yard more for ourselves and any parties we have in the future. In addition, we wanted a fire pit to enjoy on weekend evenings, as well as cook meals or make 'smores!
We are huge fans of camping, so we wanted a real fire pit (like to hear the fire and smell the smoke).

So, it took us a few months of planning to get the correct "style" we were looking for as well as having it visually look good as it's the focal point of the yard when looking out of our biggest window in the house (breakfast area). Essentially, it's the first thing anyone will see when they come over and look out the window.

We initially received about 5 quotes and they ranged from 5 to 10K for the project. After evaluating the price, and knowing that I'm very hard to please, we decided, for better or worse, to do it ourselves.

I just want to start the description by saying this project was very difficult for a number of reasons. First, materials were in the driveway and needed to be carried by hand to the back yard. Second, it's a lot of digging. Third, rock sucks to work with....especially flagstone, as it is very uneven and both my wife and I are VERY picky about, well, the finished product. As my wife and I are big into our yard (we've landscaped our entire yard) and are not afraid of work (remember our 200ft french drain we put in?), we thought this wouldn't be too tough...based on internet research.

We were wrong. The internet was wrong. If anyone wants to do this...get ready for extremely heavy, time-consuming, mental-anguish inducing, frustrating, difficult work.

We decided to dry-lay the patio due to the location of the patio....all the tree roots will cause the patio to move, but dry-laid will be easier to fix than mortared. We also wanted a "natural" looking patio.. (ie-English Garden type) to blend into the surroundings. We're not done yet, as we're going to landscape around this fall, and then add lighting for evenings.

Here's photos of our project.

Left side of back yard:

7-5-13013_zpsc523f410.jpg

Right side of back yard:

7-5-13014_zpsf599c652.jpg

Area where patio will go:

7-5-13015_zps2030e397.jpg

Patio / firepit area marked out:

7-5-13164_zps329ff94f.jpg

6" of dirt removed from patio site:

7-5-13167_zps3d8d0fbd.jpg

Materials in driveway (tons o' rock):

7-5-13172_zps7ea44daa.jpg

Patio dug out; roots removed; footer for fire pit dug:

7-5-13173_zps3be01763.jpg

Yea Baby, can't wait to follow this one.......

Go Jamhead!!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Firepit footer filled with Crush n run and tamped; landscape stakes measured and in place:

7-5-13174_zpsa8f052c8.jpg

Landscape fabric layed; crush n run being added and smoothed. We hired our daughter (notice her work clothes):

7-5-13177_zpsbf5deb7a.jpg

First layer of crush n run down and hand tamped. Could not get a machine to tamp in the yard, so I had to do it by hand. Yes, it sucked.

7-5-13178_zps3f77c9bf.jpg

Second layer of crush n run going down....followed by hand tamping. Actually we did about 3 layers, so this one may be the third. I used the landscape stakes to keep the flow of the patio at the same angle (we wanted the patio to flow at the same angle as the yard...another degree of difficulty):

7-5-13179_zpscb9c6a55.jpg

Done with tamping crush n run:

7-5-13180_zps6a4d88b2.jpg

Next, granite screenings. I'm using 1 3/4" PVC to screed the screenings (bedding) for the flagstones.

7-5-13181_zpse997163d.jpg

Laying of the flagstone begins:

7-5-13183_zps6e307de9.jpg

Hardest damn puzzle of our lives. Took us about 4 - 12 hour days to find the right flags and ensure they fit (gaps about <1" to 2.5" or so.)

7-5-13184_zps81f63e36.jpg

Each flagstone then had to be lifted, more screenings added (or some removed) and settled FLAT, hammered in with rubber mallet, and have more screenings added and packed within the joints:

7-5-13186_zpse0154162.jpg

All flagstones "set" in granite screenings:

7-5-13189_zpsc32d2dfa.jpg

How level is it? Well, take a look:

7-5-13190_zps619f1dd6.jpg

I've skipped telling you of some fun steps to the project, like driving (and bending) 1/4" metal edging into the rock base with a sledge, but...I'd rather not re-live that.

Fire pit time:

7-5-13187_zps163e38a4.jpg

Fire pit completed and additional granite screenings added to patio:

7-5-13192_zpsf5d4ac7c.jpg

Additional river rock added around patio as well as behind, to make it appear "natural"; pea-gravel added to the flagstone patio joints:

7-5-13194_zpsb100a3df.jpg

Incredible work!
That will be such a fantastic place to enjoy and relax. Kudos!

Moved some large river rocks around for additional "bench" type seating as well as places to put your drinks, while trying to create the "natural" flow of the overall patio/firepit area. Still need to buy chairs for around the pit, then, landscape and finally, lighting. But, this is how it looks now:

7-5-130062_zps190721f2.jpg

It was a lot of work, but I'm happy with the way it turned out.

Damn, well if that didn't turn out just freakin' AWESOME!!!

From start to finish, how long did it take.......

:eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap:

Hat's off to you for setting the flagstone yourselves; I know how hard the eight guys worked that put mine in! Beautiful backyard! What state do you live in, Jamhead?

Great Job Jammy! Having been in the Landscape business for the last 18 years, I know how hard you and the family worked. Freaking Beautiful my friend!! :bow-blue:

You probably already know this, but when you put in the lighting, try and run the "up-lights" for the trees on a separate circuit/timer from the path lights. This way, you can have the trees up-lighted while the path lights are off and visa versa. It adds a change of mood, especially when the fire pit is in use.

There is nothing like a do-it-yourself project that is finished! Congratulations, a landscape company would not of done such a nice job. Very professional indeed.

Dennie :eusa-clap:

Thanks a lot for the compliments everyone.

Heeman- Overall, about 16 days (12 hours each) with a few hours in-between from the time the shovel hit the dirt until the last scoop of rock was added.

Botch - Rope was right...we're in N. Carolina (Charlotte).

Dennie-Thank you very much...coming from a Pro, that means a lot. I hope it will stand the test of time now. Also, good idea on the lights. I was definitely going with up-lighting and am still unsure about lighting the patio directly...I was thinking of placing the up-lighting close enough so help illuminate the patio. But, you gave me a good idea...and I'll have to consider. Please, feel free to add any info you can regarding type of lighting, brands, or ideas you may have on how you would illuminate.

The yard was basically a weed infested dirt mound when we bought the place. We tore up everything, and began with subsurface drainage to help with the crawl space, then surface drains to help with run-off, then the landscaping front/sides/ and now in the back. In between, we installed the fence you see and are now just trying to create a back yard that reminds us of the park....natural, yet, clean with various shrubs/flowers/ground cover for 4 seasons. It's a challenge, but we enjoy it.

Although, it's taken most of my money away from my PJ purchase, so hopefully, I'll have another update soon on the dedicated room thing that's been in limbo for 4 years.

Awesome. I like your style, very much. Great layout without being overdone, and not just a rectangle. Bravo!

Ah, the feeling of accomplishment! It's the benefit of DIY-ing. :handgestures-thumbup:

Back