• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

JBL Studio 590

Zing

Retired Admin
Superstar
In a word...interesting.

JBL-studio-590.jpg

:text-link:

So, what are you trying to say, Zing?

That you've been bitten by upgrade bug?

Indeed!

Another entry in that $2k/pair stereo "tower" speaker market segment.

I wonder if a few manufacturers now see this as a "sweet spot" to go after?

Add this to my list of speakers I'd like to listen to some day.

Jeff

If you're going to make an investment in speakers you owe it to yourself to audition Bang and Olufsen Beolab 5.

Rope

Rope said:
Bang and Olufsen Beolab 5.
There's something about those speakers that scream 'DANGER! DANGER!' to me.

Oh wait...

...I know what it is.

lost_in_space_robot_body_1_2_2004.jpg

Meh... They look like speakers I can get at Best Buy to me.

Batman said:
Those JBLs LOOK badass !!!
I know! That, coupled with their specs and price = interesting. I think they borrowed heavily from their former 1400 Array line.

Towen7 said:
:laughing-rolling:
What an ass you are. But :laughing-rolling:

I said you were an ass. I didn't say you we're wrong. :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

Huey said:
Towen7 said:

Guess we're not allowed our opinions without ridicule here.

What?

All I said was that they looked like BB speakers. Which, BTW, they are. I'm making no assumption of sound quality based on that.

They look like a speaker I'd want to hear that's for damn sure!

Batman said:
They look like a speaker I'd want to hear that's for damn sure!
Couple things come to my mind.
1. Remembered soundhound's evaluation about JBL horn drivers not sounding pleasant.
2. Having fabric which absorbs high frequency, at the bottom quarter of the horn flare, it would cause uneven distribution pattern I suppose.
studio590blk_001_dv480x480.png

As for Matt, it's double ported... :think:

I'd remove the fabric, the pic above w/o the grilles is what drew me to the speakers when Zing posted initially...

When looking at the photos, I don't like the lip and fold back at the bottom of the horn.
This could present as edge defracted sound.

The crossover is at 1.5kHz, which is more than low enough that the lip at the bottom of the horn and the acoustically transparent fabric won't have any ill effect. I think this is a very good design for the goals they are trying to achieve - high SPL, better dynamics, and appealing aesthetics.

Having fabric which absorbs high frequency, at the bottom quarter of the horn flare, it would cause uneven distribution pattern I suppose.
As does your carpeted floor, the front of your sofa, and your pink bunny slippers. ;)

Botch said:
Having fabric which absorbs high frequency, at the bottom quarter of the horn flare, it would cause uneven distribution pattern I suppose.
As does your carpeted floor, the front of your sofa, and your pink bunny slippers. ;)

Hey! I hsve pink bunny slippers too. No wonder my PMC's sound sooo damn good. :happy-smileygiantred:

Rope

Back