• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Jeff Mackwood's Main HT

On the 2.1 system between the subs an the speakers is a block ?

What is the material ? Rubber or solid ?

Like the pictures and the descriptions.

malsackj said:

It looks like Auralex MoPads, but I am just guessing that I am looking at the right thing.

Randy said:
malsackj said:

It looks like Auralex MoPads, but I am just guessing that I am looking at the right thing.

Yeah, those are definitely MoPads. I have them all over in my home.

I was not expecting them to be able to take the weight of the full range Koss speakers.
They can be a bit on the heavy side. Been thinking about the smaller bookshelf speaker to much.

Sorry for the tardy response...

They are as Flint says. I've got a few sets in use around the house, and probably bought my first pair on his advice in some post somewhere. And yes, they can easily support good-sized speakers like the Koss, and still function as designed.

Jeff

I was looking back on this thread and noticed that all of the pics for this thread were no longer there, so I shot some new ones this evening.

P2010003 (Medium).JPG

P2010030 (Medium).JPG

P2010031 (Medium).JPG

P2010032 (Medium).JPG

P2010033 (Medium).JPG

That is gorgeous.... clearly an audio nuts dream.

I will point out, having been in that space, the scale of size is not represented well in those photos. It is in your face speakers, but in the darkened space it doesn't feel overbearing.

Nothing like saying the hell with conventional wisdom (simply meaning the shit most companies make and people buy because it looks cute) and building whatever the hell you want.

I like.

I don't have the history on the Koss speakers but they are older, late 70s? What made you choose them, had younpwned those for years , etc. Thanks

I don't have the history on the Koss speakers but they are older, late 70s? What made you choose them, had younpwned those for years , etc. Thanks
I'm doing a lot less younpwneding nowadays than I used to. :)

I traded a pair of Bose 501s straight up for my first pair of Koss CM/1030s in the Fall of '78. That was the start of a beautiful relationship.

The series was made from 1977 to 1984-ish. There were ~700 pairs made of each of the CM/1030 and CM/1020, and likely half that number of CM/1010.

I consider them to be one of the finest American-made speaker series ever: a beautiful combination of design, style, materials/finish and performance.

I'm not exactly sure when the idea to "stack" them tweeter-to-tweeter came to me, but I know that I was likely inspired by looking at some D'Appolito speaker design and thinking it might work - and it does! (Especially in my main HT where, if I take the base plinth off the top pair, the stack quite literally goes from floor to ceiling, with maybe a few sheets of paper to spare.) I've never seen pics of anyone else doing it with these speakers so either I'm a groundbreaker, or crazy. You be the judge!

While I've never owned two pairs of CM/1020, and have thus never "stacked" them, I'd like to try some day. I suspect that it might even sound better than the CM/1030s - at least in terms of coming closest to a true D'Appolito layout. (The CM/1030 sports vertically-aligned tweeter and treble tweeters, along with dual horizontally-aligned mids and a single woofer, whereas the CM/1020 has a single tweeter, mid, and woofer - all vertically-aligned. When I set up all three speaker pairs in my living room for my GTG a few years back, folks preferred the imaging / soundstage of the CM/1020 over the CM/1030. I think that would continue / improve when stacked.)

Jeff

Jeff ,
It looks like you have one chair in the sweet spot? Does Gen sit in your lap for movies? Do you have troubles...ahem...finishing movies!???

To bring the written description up to date (from the OP)...

At the front of the room there are two changes to the 2.1 system-within-the-system: the CM/1010s have been replaced by CM/1020s; and they are now powered by a 200 wpc Hitachi HMA-8300 stereo power amp.

At the back of the room, in the gear shelves, I had forgotten to mention the two UPS units (bottom left and bottom right). There's now also a NAD 2155 stereo power amp driving Zone 3 - which you can't see and which is a set-up in front of a stationary bike. A Sony UBP-X800 replaced the previous Sony BD player. And missing from the shelves is one of the two LD players. In in the shop needing a new / replacement control board.

In another thread I mentioned the possibility of acquiring another SVS 20-39PC+ sub for use with the 2.1 system. If and when that happens it would go along the right wall, where that pot/reed thingy is place-holding right now. It's turning out to be easier to buy hens' teeth than finding one to buy.

Jeff

Back