• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Jesus Just Left Chicago - Not ZZ Top

I'm just wondering. ZZTop is promoting Houston, Texas (sure they are getting paid big $$$$) along with Jim parsons (Sheldon of The Big Bang Theory-----which i love).
Back in the 70's I bought some BlackOak Ark albums & really like the LP's. But went to their concert in Houston..........they sucked big time....crowd booed them.
So whats the up with this recording ? I love ZZTop by the way. Saw 'em live in Austin many years ago, when Austin was just a College town.

The music and legacy of ZZ Top will be celebrated with the Oct. 11, 2011 release of "A Tribute From Friends."

The album, to be released by Show Dog-Universal Music, features 11 classic ZZ Top songs interpreted by top-flight artists working in a broad range of musical genres. All of the album's tracks have been newly recorded, specifically for this project. These include Filter's performance of "Gimme All Your Lovin'," Grace Potter and the Nocturnals' take on "Tush," as well as Wyclef Jean's "Rough Boy," "Legs" from Nickelback and Wolfmother's interpretation of "Cheap Sunglasses." What a cool batch of artists, right?

The album kicks off with "Sharp Dressed Man," from The M.O.B., Mick Fleetwood's ad hoc group that includes fellow Fleetwood Mac founder John McVie as well as Aerosmith's Steven Tyler and guitar great Jonny Lang. Fleetwood commented, "We're delighted to honor ZZ Top this way. Their legacy, like that of the original Fleetwood Mac, is steeped in the blues we all love so much. I know that Steven and Jonny feel as strongly about their legacy as John and I do."

After Billy F Gibbons, Dusty Hill and Frank Beard, the original--and continuing--members of ZZ Top were informed that A Tribute From Friends was in the offing, they issued the following statement:

"When we were told there was going to be a ZZ Top tribute album a while ago and logically asked, ‘Who are we paying tribute to?' Then we found out that a bunch of great artists were paying tribute to us and we were in disbelief. For the past 40 or so years, all we've done is get out there and crank it and try to have a good time while doing so. To a great extent, we've succeeded since we're still having a good time so that would be reward enough for ‘the same three guys playing the same three chords.' Now comes A Tribute From Friends and we're so delighted that our music resonates with these great musicians whom we so admire."

The co-executive producer of A Tribute From Friends is Carl Stubner, ZZ Top's manager, who noted, "A Tribute From Friends underscores the legacy of ZZ Top in the most musical way possible and illustrates just how important Billy, Dusty and Frank have been to successive generations. It was a privilege to work with the pantheon of brilliant artists who contributed their efforts and so much love to this project."

Man, a Live Concert of this would be wonderful.............keep me posted on this........I'm getting old & tend to forget here lately...Sorry, didn't catch the date........ :eusa-whistle:

512wDOi4wdL._SS500_.jpg

Thanks for the heads up......when I go to the Big City, I'll look for it.

Aseleep at the Wheel did a wonderful tribute to Bob Wills........wished more of this would happen.

Why is Wyclef Jean still playing? Seems he's always on these types of albums and his renditions usually suck.

Yesfan70 said:
Why is Wyclef Jean still playing? Seems he's always on these types of albums and his renditions usually suck.
Maybe he can't write & play ? I don't recall Wyclef Jean....must be getting old....

heeman said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI6V8NhVwpE[/youtube]
probably my favorite zz top song, saw them several times, 1st time they didnt have beards,lol. i saw an interview where they said ,when they were teenagers in texas,if the sky at night was overcast,they could pick up a blues station from chicago(hence the song name "Jesus just left chicago")

Back