• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Joker: Spoiler Thread

mzpro5

Famous
I watched Joker for the first time on Friday and then again yesterday and it seems others here have also watched several times so it seems there is real interest and I thought a thread where we could speak freely would be nice.

One of the best comments I have heard so far comes from Hot Monkey in another thread

I watched it a third time last night. Saw it twice in the theater then last night on blu-ray. IMO it's an outstanding movie and performance by Joaquin Phoenix. Not just a great super here movie but just a great and serious movie. It's by no means a traditional super hero movie... little to no action... zero CGI effects... much closer to Se7en or Taxi Driver with a gritty and dark 70's vibe and style. I have read some comments online from comic purists picking holes in some of the liberties or departures from traditional DC lore but for as many of those comments there are a dozen more praising the direction of this film.

I totally agree. Great film and in some ways I think a disservice is done to the movie by classifying it as a "super hero (or villian) movie. It is just a great movie. While watching it seemed to me that Phoenix must have spent a bit of time watching Heath ledger's performance in The Dark Knight. I noticed similarities in physical movement between the two and after watching Joker on Friday went and watch some of The Dark Knight and it reinforced my thoughts.

I was in no real rush to watch the movie as I am not a big fan of Joachim Phoenix . but his performance in this movie was excellent.

I love this movie.
Joaquin did an excellent job and clearly committed to the role. His physical transformation for the role was shocking.

In the first scene with the social worker it‘s mentioned that Arthur was previously ”locked up in the hospital” and we see him in an observation room, beating his head against the door. I think we have to assume he’s in Arkham, right?

But they don’t reveal what got him there. I kind of wish they did.

Was it just me or was Thomas Wayne a real dick.

(Plus he really looked like Al Gore)

Was it just me or was Thomas Wayne a real dick.

(Plus he really looked like Al Gore)
He was portrayed as an ass. But I believe the character as portrayed, was on a mission and believed in his convictions.

I watched Joker for the first time on Friday and then again yesterday and it seems others here have also watched several times so it seems there is real interest and I thought a thread where we could speak freely would be nice.

One of the best comments I have heard so far comes from Hot Monkey in another thread

I totally agree. Great film and in some ways I think a disservice is done to the movie by classifying it as a "super hero (or villian) movie. It is just a great movie. While watching it seemed to me that Phoenix must have spent a bit of time watching Heath ledger's performance in The Dark Knight. I noticed similarities in physical movement between the two and after watching Joker on Friday went and watch some of The Dark Knight and it reinforced my thoughts.

I was in no real rush to watch the movie as I am not a big fan of Joachim Phoenix . but his performance in this movie was excellent.

When I watched it the third time on Blu-ray I was thinking two things... First how impressive Phoenix's physical transformation was in terms of the confidence and swagger he had towards the end vs the more tortured and broken physique he had earlier in the movie. And during previous viewings I was trying to nail what some his physical dance moves reminded me of but on the third viewing a young Mick Jagger on stage popped into my head. I agree he also used Ledger as a model for character movement but some of bigger wilder moves seemed even more outrageous and again reminded me of Jagger on stage.

Back