• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Just bought a DENON 3310CI and have a few questions.

nelmr

Firstly, I know some online over at AVS have reported issue with the network card. I hope that being a close out that this model will have a late manufacture date and not be subject to issues. Either way I'm going to test, and if defective, it should be easy to send back to Amazon for a full refund.

Anyway, this receiver is much more powerful than the one it replaces. My previous receiver was a Yamaha HTR-5640. 75w 6.1. It benched 34watts x 5 on S&V's review. The new Denon is the successor to the 989 that S&V reviewed and should have about 112watts x 5. So I should be gaining about 5db over my previous receiver. However, the power consumption is higher on the Denon obviously.

The Yamaha used 270 watts (so says the back panel), but the Denon 7.0 Amps. 7 Amps = 840 watts. But the European versions of the Denon say 670 watts (5.58 amps if on 120 volts). So I'm not sure what the true power requirements are. I just hope that by adding this receiver I won't be causing any problems power wise.

Here is what else I have a the same line:
1) Subwoofer (3.15 amps / 378 watts)
2) TV (280 watts, though likely lower as I don't have it in torch mode)
3) PS3 (380 watts, it's the 80 gig model) and XBOX 360 (203 watts?) - both have been tested online and show about 200 watts during load when gaming, which is lower than the power consumption values listed for them.
4) I haven't checked the power consumption of my DVD player or DVR.

Do you think I'll have any problems? I'm currently plugging everything but the Xbox 360 into a surge suppressor(Xbox 360 states that it should only be plugged directly into the wall outlet, not a surge suppressor). I was thinking about later upgrading my speakers and subwoofer (i.e. get the SVS MTS speakers, a seperate amp for the fronts, and something like a PC12 PLUS or Ultra). I have a feeling do this in the future on the same line would be problematic?

I'm not an electrician or anything, but unless you have a really low power circuit that's driving these, I kinda doubt it would be a problem. Those ratings, I think, are for peak usage, and I really doubt all those devices are continually drawing that much power. If it does become a problem, you could make sure that the devices are split into separate lines in your house circuit.

What size is the breaker on the circuit in question? If it's 15 or 20 amps you probably have nothing to be concerned about. Even a 10 amp might suffice for the reasons Pauly mentioned.

I'll have to check the breaker box when I get home, but in my apartment, this is the biggest room in the place, so I'm sure it has a decent size breaker.

And regarding nothing to worry about, does that still hold true if I buy in the future say the following:

Emotiva xpa3 (1300 watts max, 10.8 amps)
SVS PB-13 Ultra (amp says 120-240V 5A input even though it's suppose to have 1000 watt output? - not sure how that works).

nelmr said:
I'll have to check the breaker box when I get home, but in my apartment, this is the biggest room in the place, so I'm sure it has a decent size breaker.

And regarding nothing to worry about, does that still hold true if I buy in the future say the following:

Emotiva xpa3 (1300 watts max, 10.8 amps)
SVS PB-13 Ultra (amp says 120-240V 5A input even though it's suppose to have 1000 watt output? - not sure how that works).

No problem as long as you get the optional house with a 200 amp service! Worst case: the breaker will trip.

Again, like Pauly said, those are maximum power draws - not all going to happen at the same time (or ever) unless you have one hell of a party in which case you'll most likely be looking for a new place to live - apartment neighbors are funny that way.

I'm not sure which breaker corresponds to the great room, but they all are at least 15+ amps. Likely it's a 15 as the 20s and 40s are for AC, Dryer/Washer, Range, etc.

Also, While I'm in an apartment I have no upstairs or downstairs neighbors. It's more like a quadplex. Thanks for the feedback guys.

I have a Onkyo 805 three outboard stereo amps Pioneer RPTV bluray player Sat Hd Box, Hd-DVD and Opposed DVD player. Four mid bass subs and one Svs sub and the most amperage my voltage regulator has shown is six amps being used. I have 5200 watts available to use. I think your gonna be okay.

Back