• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Just bought a Panasonic TC-P50GT25 - advice about burn in

nelmr

So I've never owned a Plasma before. I currently have a 52" Sharp LCD in my main room. Originally I was looking for a 42' in set for the office but I ended up finding the 50" for not much more. Therefore, I probably will move the LCD to the office and keep the plasma for the main room.

So what should I keep in mind. I plan on using the TV just as much for gaming as I do for movies. According to Panasonic this shouldn't be an issue as the marketing material says:

• The Next Level of Video Gaming

Take your team to the championship and your gaming to the next level. A specialized Game Mode helps ensure fluid and seamless gameplay by minimizing time lag when displaying game images. With Game Mode turned on, you get the motion resolution and enhanced details you need to win. And don't worry about racking up all those long hours playing; anti-image retention technology and a remarkable 100,000 hour panel life ensure that your VIERA HDTV will still run smoothly and beautifully long after you score the game-winning goal.

Nevertheless, I've heard it is good to baby the TV for the first 100 hours or so (i.e. full screen, no black bars, avoid static stuff, etc). So I may put the TV in the office soly for TV watching for a while and the start gaming on it later. Is this wise, or is it unnecessary?

Re: Just bought a Panasonic TC-P50GT25 For $750 shipped - ad

Nelmr I think you're on the right track. With each generation of plasmas they become less and less susceptible to burn-in or even any temporary image retention for that matter. But if keeping it in your office for the first 100 hrs or so is easy to do why not. Better safe than sorry... Rope is the plasma guru if any additional advice is warranted he'll help you out. :)

Re: Just bought a Panasonic TC-P50GT25 For $750 shipped - ad

Batman said:
Nelmr I think you're on the right track. With each generation of plasmas they become less and less susceptible to burn-in or even any temporary image retention for that matter. But if keeping it in your office for the first 100 hrs or so is easy to do why not. Better safe than sorry... Rope is the plasma guru if any additional advice is warranted he'll help you out. :)

It's easy as it's my home office, one room away.

Re: Just bought a Panasonic TC-P50GT25 - advice about burn i

nelmr said:
......Nevertheless, I've heard it is good to baby the TV for the first 100 hours or so (i.e. full screen, no black bars, avoid static stuff, etc). So I may put the TV in the office soly for TV watching for a while and the start gaming on it later. Is this wise, or is it unnecessary?

That's pretty much it. I babied mine for the first 100 hours. 3 years later, no problems yet. Sometimes I do pause it when I'm going to the kitchen for a snack and/or drink. A salesman at Sears (where my mom bought her TV) told us after the break in period, it's still not a good idea to have a static image on the TV (like a paused DVD or a show on a DVR) for more than 15 minutes. I have paused the DVR before for as long as 7 minutes with no issues. On the safe side, I shut the TV off if I think it's going to be more than 5 minutes.

One thing to think about is today's plasmas, imo, are pretty durable compared to CRT displays in the 90s when it comes to burn in issues. Though I was meticulous with my old '90s era Pioneer 60" RPTV, I "abused" it compared to my 3 year old plasma and still got a good 13 years of use out of it before the picture started to dim a little.

The short of it? You'll be fine.

No matter how many times I voice my displeasure, my wife pauses the DVR on our 50" panny practically every night sometimes until it unpauses itself at the 1 hr mark, and I havent had any issues with that set (PZ85U series)...if she keeps it up though she's gonna have permanent image retention on her forehead!! :happy-smileygiantred: about 2 years ago I also started a thread in panic after falling asleep with a DVD menu on overnight on our 42" bedroom panny. It had image retention for about a day and a half and you'd never know it today...that set is a bit over 4 yo.

For the record aside from my HT projector, every TV in my home whether plasma or LCD is a Panasonic (8 flat screens total) and have never had an issue with any of them. I'm very pleased with my experience with them...

nelmr said:
So I've never owned a Plasma before. I currently have a 52" Sharp LCD in my main room. Originally I was looking for a 42' in set for the office but I ended up finding the 50" for not much more. Therefore, I probably will move the LCD to the office and keep the plasma for the main room.

So what should I keep in mind. I plan on using the TV just as much for gaming as I do for movies. According to Panasonic this shouldn't be an issue as the marketing material says:

• The Next Level of Video Gaming

Take your team to the championship and your gaming to the next level. A specialized Game Mode helps ensure fluid and seamless gameplay by minimizing time lag when displaying game images. With Game Mode turned on, you get the motion resolution and enhanced details you need to win. And don't worry about racking up all those long hours playing; anti-image retention technology and a remarkable 100,000 hour panel life ensure that your VIERA HDTV will still run smoothly and beautifully long after you score the game-winning goal.

Nevertheless, I've heard it is good to baby the TV for the first 100 hours or so (i.e. full screen, no black bars, avoid static stuff, etc). So I may put the TV in the office soly for TV watching for a while and the start gaming on it later. Is this wise, or is it unnecessary?

Plasma cell structure is very impressionable when new, if you insist it reproduce one luminance on a particular area of the screen, it will remember and continue to reproduce that luminance, in that area.

What you stated above is spot on. I recommend you reduce the brightness and contrast for the break-in period. Once you've reached the 100-150 hour mark, adjust your contrast, brightness, sharpness, color, and tint using a calibration disc. You're good to go!

Rope

Here's a link to the calibrated settings for that display after break-in. And remember, even though these settings are from an ISF calibrator, every display, viewing area, and user preference is different. Use these as a base, then tweak till your hearts content. :text-link:

Rope

Thanks rope!

By the way, is there anyway to know when you've reached 100-150 hours (other than logging it yourself)?

nelmr said:
Thanks rope!

By the way, is there anyway to know when you've reached 100-150 hours (other than logging it yourself)?

For me, I just divided 100 by the average hours per day I watch TV (2-3 hours/day). That was about a month to month and a half give or take a few extra days. If you can't wait that long, some have run a DVD or Bluray in a loop for that amount of time to cut it to about 4 days.

nelmr said:
Thanks rope!

On average, if you watch your display 3 - 4 hours per day, in 25 -30 days you'll be set, and you may experience some "ghosting" along the way. Not to fret, it's normal. You'll need to set your orbitor to on, and there'll be a utility you can run if you see some temperary image retention (ghosting). After the break-in period, you would have to purposely leave your plasma display on a very bright static image for 48 hours or longer to intiate permanent image retention.

I wouldn't concern myself with the little things, just enjoy our new display. Try to contain yourself from throwing rocks at the LCD once you get the plasma calibrated.

Rope

Back