• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Just did a deep optics clean on RPTV

MatthewB

Grandmaster Pimp Daddy
Famous
Okay so I've been in consultation with Mr. Bob whose renowned over at AVS with trying to keep RPTV's alive and well. So after contacting him he gave me step by step instructions on how to clean my three lenses on my Pioneer 620 HDTV. Now about every two years I would do a basic clean to remove the dust off my top lenses on my CRT RPTV but was afraid to do the underside lenses. After given instruction on how to do it. I removed the three "cans" but only one at a time as each lens has its own focusing for each primary color and you never want to mix those up and wow what a bunch of grime and insects and a dog hair to boot on the underside. Once carefully cleaning (not with a microfiber cloth like I had been for years incorrectly mind you) but with plain white paper towels and ammonia free windex my image has never been clearer. Granted they had never been clean in 11 years and my Pioneer has so little usage (still under 4000 hours total on set in 11 years). It made my image look as sharp and bright as the day it arrived at my house.

So for those who never have cleaned their lenses or deep optics clean on their older RPTV it might be time to do it. Just incredible results now that the light engine is not hindered by all that dust and grime which really softened up the image. It takes about 2 hours to do but well worth it.

Sounds like a home run or even a Grand Slam to me.......

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Cool.

I wonder how much dust has acclimated on your laser disc player's lens!

I took all the screws out holding the back on my Pioneer plasma and I see no lenses? What gives??

Rope

Rope said:
I took all the screws out holding the back on my Pioneer plasma and I see no lenses? What gives??

Rope
DUDE! You must have gotten one of those fake Kuros. Contact your BBB right away!

Okay you bastards but tonight I was at a sports bar with nothing but end to end flat screens and my 11 year old RPTV blew them away in image quality so yuck it up.

Man you all suck sometimes. :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

MatthewB said:
Okay you bastards but tonight I was at a sports bar with nothing but end to end flat screens and my 11 year old RPTV blew them away in image quality so yuck it up.

Man you all suck sometimes. :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

While I don't doubt that your picture looks better in your home, but don't forget, all of those tv's were probably being fed the same signal that had been split. That probably has more to do with the shitty picture in the bar than the tv's themselves.

But cool that you did the cleaning of the lenses. I would have been scared to death to attempt something like that, all on my own. :handgestures-thumbup:

C'mon guys! Leave Matt alone!

He is making the most of the best technology that was available 20 years ago at Circuit City and you are making fun of him? Next you'll be mocking all the hours he spends working on his 1980 Jaguar V12 Sedan or his refurbished dbx LP dynamic range restorer and collection of dbx encoded LPs.

Flint said:
C'mon guys! Leave Matt alone!

He is making the most of the best technology that was available 20 years ago at Circuit City and you are making fun of him? Next you'll be mocking all the hours he spends working on his 1980 Jaguar V12 Sedan or his refurbished dbx LP dynamic range restorer and collection of dbx encoded LPs.

He doesn't bother working on his dbx encoded LPs anymore because his turntable that had the dbx decoder got stolen several months ago and it would be easier to replace his HD-DVD machine than find another dbx turntable.

That's alright Matt...they're just jealous their "flat" panel tv's picture continues to be inferior to our RPTVs!

By the way, when did you talk to Bob and how much did he charge you?

Jamhead I spoke with him last week and we scheduled the phone consultation for Monday after I got off work. It was only supposed to be an hour and if I had prepped before hand it would've taken an hour (remove screen beforehand) but wound up taking 1.5 hours at 120.00. The cool thing is he literally taught me step by step the do's and don't s on how to safely remove the cans that hold the lenses and properly cleaning the mirror and all nine lenses.

Dust, grime and insects all soften the image quality on these older sets once job was completed you could instantly see how sharp and crystal clear the image was. Took me a few minutes to get used to that because I was so used to a "softer" image. I reduced my black level from 12 to 3 because the image on 12 was waaaay to bright.

Now to all you poking fun go ahead I dish it out enough but you all have to remember that the Pioneer Elite was a 7,500.00 TV when it came out and the PQ was considered the best there was which is clearly evident by how my PQ still ranks up there with today's top of the line flat panels but without the issues that flat panels suffer from. Granted its big and boxy but the piano black finish still makes it a beautiful piece of gear. Because it has so few hours on it why throw it away when it's still a top notch set. This would be like me making fun of you guys because some of you still have older tube amps. Sometimes the older stuff is still very very good and Pioneer Elite sets have proven their worth. Sure it's not flat and takes up space but I get more film like quality than my flat panel and never have any pixcellation issues and the blacks are inky black not the lighter blacks of current flat panels (at least till OLED becomes affordable).

I am proud of my older gear and as long as I enjoy it and keep it up than what you jokesters say is irrelevant. Heck I know many of you try your best to keep your older gear going strong and I am the same. I'm not going to toss out a beautiful older TV that still gets me a great HD image in fact better than my flat panel.

I started this thread because I know some of you have older RPTV and never thought of cleaning the lenses and I wrote to let you know that after a lens clean your image can look just as sharp and bright as the day you bought it if you've never done it before. It was very simple and easy to do and was worth the 120.00 so now in the future I know how to do it again and be confident in the job I do.

Hey Flint,
Matt is not the only one around here still enjoying their old RPTVs and I still have a dynamic range expander tucked away in a box in the garage. LMAO

Randy said:
Hey Flint,
Matt is not the only one around here still enjoying their old RPTVs and I still have a dynamic range expander tucked away in a box in the garage. LMAO
Well what the heck good is it doing there?

Why just the other day I spun a vinyl copy of Venus and Mars (still can't get my hands on a CD version!) in my main HT. From turntable/Stanton 681EEE cartridge to NAD 1130 pre-amp to Pioneer RG-1 Dynamic Processor to SAE 5000 Impulse Noise Reduction System to Onkyo PR-SC886 to Outlaw ICBM-1 (with Velodyne SMS-1) to Carver amps and then to Koss CM/1030 speakers (and a bunch of subs) (and also to a dbx Model 100 Sub Harmonic Synthesizer and its own dedicated sub).

Ahhh! Nothing like that good old pure clean vinyl sound (with the RG-1 set at 12 dB of expansion)!

Jeff

Way to go Matt!! That's awesome.

The only downside I see is that now you'll have to wait a little longer to purchase a new flat panel to set on top of the old RPTV. You could probably find a fireplace video on HD-DVD to play on the old RPTV while you're watching a movie on the new flat panel though. Just sayin'...

John

Back