• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

KDF-60XBR1 + PS3 - HDCP JUST BIT ME IN THE ASS...HARD

The DirtMerchant

Famous
Apparently there was an update within the past few weeks to the PS3 that has some type of HDCP
or HDMI changes in it. My TV no longer takes any HDMI video output from the PS3.

LONG VERSION - My PS3 gives me "the black screen of death" which is normally cured by
resetting the video output and rebooting. Not the case for me. I have to mail it in for diagnosis
(this is a PS3 I bought in September...3 months ago). Since I'm curious, I brought down my stand alone
Panasonic BD65 and hooked it up via HDMI. Same black screen. Error code U73 (which after discussions
with Panasonic tech support is "a general HDMI error, you would have to mail it in for spcific diagnosis".
My D* HD-DVR connected via HDMI, no issue. My XBOX 360 hooked up via HDMI, no issue.
So I'm thinking there is something with the Blu-Ray players and HDCP. I call Sony Tech support for my TV,
do the rigormarole with unplugging/resetting and eventually am given a number for the local tech to set up an appointment.
That guy says it is definitely an outdated HDMI board and would require a new one...for $550 + $100 labor.

Basically the $4000 on the display means in four years I have outdated technology.
I went back to SCEA tech support and went up a few levels and gave them the question:
How can your company tell me, after spending $4500 on display + PS3 and hundreds/thousands more
on all the Blu-Rays I have, that it wasn't enough and if I want to continue I need to get a newer/cooler
TV or upgrade...which may just get outdated faster than I can blink? Anti-Piracy IS BULL SHIT. FUCK YOU MOVIE STUDIOS.

Amusingly, what does my wife say to this after hearing me have very long and logical discussions with multiple
levels of tech support with Sony, Panasonic and SCEA?
"How much is a new 70" that we can mount on the wall?"

I love my wife. I hate A LOT of other things.

*step down from soap box*

The DirtMerchant said:
Amusingly, what does my wife say to this after hearing me have very long and logical discussions with multiple
levels of tech support with Sony, Panasonic and SCEA?
"How much is a new 70" that we can mount on the wall?"

I wish my wife would say things like that!!

D

If you ask me, I think you should've written this post AFTER you and your lovely wife hung your new 70" TV on the wall.

I know...and I may just edit the post after a 60" or 70"(doubtful) gets hung up. Or convert from HDMI back to component cables.

I feel beaten by stuff like this and it is incredibly aggravating (and expensive). I sent a very long email to SCEA Corporate
and plan to do the same to whatever division of Sony my TV is from. The worst part is, I know this stuff falls on almost
completely deaf ears. I don't even want to listen to myself sometimes. I can't even imagine being the level 1 call center
person on the other end trying to mitigate my anger and then explaining the complaint to the manager.

Is that the old Sony 60" sxrd with the "ears" for speakers? I had the 50" version of that for quite a while. Did you have the Optical block issues with that? I replaced mine twice on Sony's dime. Anyway, sounds like your wife had a pretty good idea. Time to get a new TV. I have tried to sell the 50" that I have ( in working order) and have been offered 100 bucks for it. I paid 2800 for it new. It's pretty much a door stop now.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    485.4 KB · Views: 698
I've been the rounds with Sony. Took me three products before I became educated enough not to purchase anything with the name Sony.

Rope

Rope said:
I've been the rounds with Sony. Took me three products before I became educated enough not to purchase anything with the name Sony.

Rope

I like their products, but I'm in that boat too. They will no longer get my money (unless I decide to upgrade the board...)
Unfortunately all the companies have the HDCP...so in a few years there's a high
probability that the same thing will happen again to whatever display I get. Can't they
just make this go away already?

koufax65 said:
Is that the old Sony 60" sxrd with the "ears" for speakers? I had the 50" version of that for quite a while. Did you have the Optical block issues with that? I replaced mine twice on Sony's dime. Anyway, sounds like your wife had a pretty good idea. Time to get a new TV. I have tried to sell the 50" that I have ( in working order) and have been offered 100 bucks for it. I paid 2800 for it new. It's pretty much a door stop now.

Yup...ears for speakers. Not a door stop for me. It is my main dislpay (D*, XBOX 360, PS3, Mac Mini).
HDCP can kiss my ass.

Haywood said:
I would be beyond pissed off.
:text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:

After calming down and getting over my recent beat down (and doing some serious looking into 60"+ displays)
I will be continuing my (most likely useless) pursuit of striking up a discussion with Sony/SCEA Corporate via
email. Also, I will be purchasing some Component cables for my PS3. On principle, I want to send another
email asking Sony to pay the cost of buying this cable. It just saddens me that I have to do it. It isn't difficult
or expensive. It should just be completely unnecessary.

Just the other day I read an article about a company from europe has cracked the HDCP and are coming out with a device. I;ll try to find the article again.

The DirtMerchant said:
After calming down and getting over my recent beat down (and doing some serious looking into 60"+ displays)
I will be continuing my (most likely useless) pursuit of striking up a discussion with Sony/SCEA Corporate via
email. Also, I will be purchasing some Component cables for my PS3. On principle, I want to send another
email asking Sony to pay the cost of buying this cable. It just saddens me that I have to do it. It isn't difficult
or expensive. It should just be completely unnecessary.

Keep a log of the day, time and whom you have spoke with or emailed. This may help once this gets to the right people. If you push enough and have the data to support you correspondance, it will help you drive resolution. Don't stop contacting them, however be profesional with them.

Good Luck!

I have to say I am not a fan of Sony products but when I had problems with my SXRD 50" they took care of it right away with no cost to me. I can't believe that they are still supporting that TV since it is about 6 years old now.
Give them a call and see what they will do. I'm sure sending a cheap component cable won't kill them.
Did you ever have the "yellow blob" issue with the optical block? If not you are one of the few. That TV was "sound and visions" product of the year when it came out.

I just made a deal with my girlfriends sons girlfriend (say that fast out loud) she is buying my Sxrd for 120 bucks. I hope it works for a while for her. The fan was going out too.

SCEA has shut me down with a sadly canned
"After further research into your question, we have the following information for you.
This is what management has provided the Corporate headquarters to provide in appropriate cases. They are saying they are aware, they are however, not making themselves available to you.
You have made yourself clear in your messages. We understand HDCP is only an issue for the protection it provides to copyright holders and adds no direct value itself. The industry would not have provided the high quality media without these assurances provided though without HDCP or an equivalent standard."

Pursuing it further with them will be useless.
Time to pick up the fight with whatever division deals with the TV

Back