• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

kickin more old school

-B-

Since I got the turntable I needed a phono preamp. Instead I just grabbed a receiver from my friends vast collection of old school hifi stuff. Using this Pioneer is much more fun.

F17D0346-38E3-4FC3-A9C6-4EBB4DAF322B-1950-000000C326BC0FD6.jpg

That sure brought a smile to my face, circa late '70's; I spent weekends drooling over the Pioneer's, Kenwoods, and Sansui's in LaBelle's and Team Electronics (though I ended up with Yamaha). :music-rockout:

Botch said:
That sure brought a smile to my face, circa late '70's; I spent weekends drooling over the Pioneer's, Kenwoods, and Sansui's in LaBelle's and Team Electronics (though I ended up with Yamaha). :music-rockout:

Dont feel bad I ended up with a Sanyo :scared-eek:

$T2eC16RHJIIE9qTYKDJlBQB2c75CeQ~~60_57.JPG

Pioneer...Fisher...Sanyo...must be nice to be rich. As a poor Airman in the Air Force in 1983, I was limited to Realistic gear from Radio Shack.

My first stereo...

dj5.jpg

My first home theater...

dj7.jpg

Look at the precision of those EQ adjustments! Now I know what you say "accurate sucks".

I think I'll start calling you the human Audesy engine.

Towen7 said:
Look at the precision of those EQ adjustments! Now I know what you say "accurate sucks".

I think I'll start calling you the human Audesy engine.
LOLOLOLOLOL I've come a long way since then, thanks to the good people of this forum. But I have to say, If YOU were going to respond to the pics I posted, I expected you to comment on my Lionel Richie cassette.

Well.. I have always said that you are a man with exquisite taste.

Wait, you had HAIR? Wow, I always assumed you were just born bald.

Fatigues!!

Actually that's a damn nice system for a one-striper.

What other cassettes do you have in that photo?
Besides the incomparable Lionel Richie?

No-L said:
What other cassettes do you have in that photo?
Besides the incomparable Lionel Richie?
Outer arc, from right to left:
Elton John Jump Up
Elton John Too Low For Zero
Elton John Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Unknown
Blackfoot Strikes
Lionel Richie
Pablo Cruise Reflector
Bryan Adams Cuts Like a Knife
Unknown
Unknown
Unknown
Unknown

Inner arc, right to left:
Scorpions Blackout
Lynyrd Skynyrd Gold and Platinum
Sammy Hagar Standing Hampton
Unknown
Unknown
Eagles Greatest Hits Vol 1

dj5.jpg

Please don't ask me to identify the LPs. :teasing-neener:

So what were the speakers?

When on the ship I carried the Marantz SD-6000 cassette player and was able to pass the electrical inspection because I converted the power cord to IEC grounded.

malsackj said:
So what were the speakers?
Some sort of big, honkin' 3-way Realistic/Optimus similar if not identical to the picture below. I remember holding a Zippo lighter in front of the port and cranking up the music until the flame was blown out.

RealisticOptimusT-120speakers.jpg

Good Lord Zing you were a handsome young man, what the hell happened. :teasing-tease:

BTW Marriage will make any man lose his hair....and mind. I tell my GF all the time that before her I had no gray hairs now I've got that salt and pepper thing going on. I actually love the old school receivers, they weighed a ton with beefy amps, had solid levers and dials that actually made a clicking sound and you didn't need a 400 page manual to get everything hooked up and sounding great.

btw Zing my father still has that same Realistic EQ hooked up to his stereo that also features a reel to reel and old school phonograph. He has so many albums on reel to reel that have never ever been released in any other medium.

do they still make le tigre shirts?

i also see botch's picture near the ashtray.

shit dude those ashtrays are probably those brown/yellowish funky kinds too.

nice setup brother, i was also checking out your EQ settings. :teasing-tease:

man, pictures like this remind me how much 'lively' we were back in the day.

we're the lucky generation that had a simple life, simple needs, simple hopes and dreams.

thats why analog always sounds warm. :music-listening:

Back