• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Koss CM Speaker Series Listeners' Review

JeffMackwood said:
...A tough act for Russ and Jon to follow! :)....

If you're talking about me, it's going to be really tough for me to follow since I didn't get to listen to them...just sayin'.

John

No, he means Hoops/Dude, who was up @ Jeff's last week along with my family and Razz.

Seems to me there are still a few reviews missing from this thread, hmmm??? :angry-tappingfoot:

You know who you are. I'm holding your Canadian maple syrup hostage until I see some results. :teasing-neener:

Im sorry for my late review!
Im a little taken with the Olympics right now but I promise to post it in a bit.
As you all can see, it's not a quick review I can do from my iPhone.

Jeff,
My appologees to you especially but hang in there buddy!

I need to start this review by making it clear that the room had a big impact on the sound.

Jeff's main HT sounds completely different than the speakers did here in his living room. Of course Jeff's HT is smaller, very well treated, and the speakers are stacked. Stacking the speakers inversely on one another made a huge difference.

I used a number of CDs but stuck to some of my favorites that I was familiar with for most of my listening.

Depeche Mode ... Violator
Norah Jones... Fly away
50 cent... Get Rich or Die Tryin
Keb Mo... Keb Mo

Jeff's Control switch made this the best was to compare speakers. The only downfall with the comparison falls on the room as the speakers are large and soundstage is effected as the 1010s are in the middle of the room, then 1020, then 1030. The 1030s are set wide out compared to the 1010. Another thing to consider was the efficiency. The volume out put obviously varied from speaker to speaker. So I used my iPhone's "SPL Meter" and found they vary in out put around this much...

1010 (baseline)
1020 (+1-2db)
1030 (+3-4db)

I played with the volume nob and was able to quickly shift it those amounts when switching between speakers. This took some practice but after a few mins I was able to switch speakers and volume in all of 2 seconds.

Straight up.... these were my least favorite of the three. I found the mid-range to be restricted. Vocals felt "compressed". I also found the low end was not tight, and not really there. They are not "bad" speakers but comparatively they did not live up the 1020/1030s. Highs are not as clear and almost seamed to be a different speaker brand all around. I would not put these in the same class as the 1020/1030.

These were my overall favorite of the 3. I found most detail here and best "natural" sounding mid range. The sound stage on these became very focused and I was listening to where the band was. I closed my eyes often when listening to all three and with these I could easily see where instruments and vocals were coming from. The low end was just a bit shallow but not bad and the bass tightened up dramatically compared to the 1010. There was a cleaner high end to these as well but had just a bit of sibilance that became a little distracting. High end also felt a bit over pronounced. Separation was also a bit challenging with these but not bad. Overall a very nice speaker indeed! I would add a sub to these and call it a day!

Not to far behind the 1020 in my book. The main distraction for me with these is the "diffuse" sound they give. They reminded me of a bi-polar speaker. Sound stage was a little lost for me as they were so diffuse. On the good side of that, they made the sound LARGE!!!! These speakers can fill any room! This larger sound is usually appreciated by me but I found it to take away a bit of clarity compared to the 1020. Sound stage was also impacted by the room as these were more focused in the main HT. Vocals were not as detailed and didn't "touch me" as they did with the 1020. There was more low end impact in the 1030 than the others. It was solid and gave these a "fuller" sound. Adding a sub is not really needed here. The mild sibilance heard in the 1020 was here as well. But overall another very good speaker.

I would give the 1030s and 1020s excellent marks but have to say the 1010s are lacking a bit when comparing the 3.

Thank you Jeff for the opportunity to compare these speakers!
Hats off for such a lovely collection!
:music-rockout:

Excellent job Razz! Thanks for taking the time to listen and write these up - and thereby contributing immensely to a very limited body of information available for these speakers.

Jeff

ps. In a few days I'll be re-arranging the living room back to a more traditional space (ie. just the 1030's in the room) in accordance with the deal I had made with Gen. The 1020's will be move to the basement HT, taking the spaces where the 1010's used to sit in a stereo (with SVS sub) set-up. Given both yours and PaulyT's reviews, I'm itching to hear how that'll work out.

ps. to Dude (Hoops): 2 down, 1 to go! :)

I know this is an old thread, but thought about it when I saw these for sale.

A pair of 1030’s is for sale a few hours away and I am tempted to go give them a listen. I am very curious about the 1020 and 1030.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Send me the link to the sale if you'd like. It's getting rare for there to be a pair of CM Series speakers out there that I have not yet been contacted about.

Jeff

Back