• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Lamp replacement for my JVC

mcad64

Getting the warning at 1900 hours for lamp replacement. Just curious, how many of you are anal about replacing your lamp at the recommended time? I think I let mine slide a little. I guess my eyes are getting old. My only worry is if I let it go too long, is there a chance this thing will some how fail catastrophically??
Mike

Nah, some will get a little dimmer showing signs they're ready to go, but ultimately they just go out. Kinda like a regular light bulb.

It wouldn't hurt to have its replacement waiting that way the projector is only down for a few minutes.

I just replaced a lamp in a 52" JVC DLP tv that someone in the neighborhood was just giving away. Fairly cheap, $35, and super easy. Like Bats said, order the lamp, and then when it either gets too dark or blows completely, you'll be all set.

I can't quite remember but seems to me when I got my last bulb I paid over 300Cad. There is a seller on Amazon.ca selling one for 55Cad!! Caveat emptor??
Mike
PS: Lamp is BHL5010-S

It's probably aftermarket which is a crapshoot....YMMV, Buyer Beware, etc.

Batman said:
It's probably aftermarket which is a crapshoot....YMMV, Buyer Beware, etc.

I think prices have fallen on bulbs, as I had an email from Amazon the other day for bulbs for my mitsubishi, and it was only $55, compared to when I last bought a bulb, which was around a $120. I didn't research it farther as I don't need a bulb, but I never saw a $55 bulb the last time I was in the market for one.

I'm on my third bulb/housing for my Optoma. The first two were OEM; the next one aftermarket.

The aftermarket has >2000 hours on it and cost $246 (which was WAY less than OEM at the time) and looks great.

I always have a spare bulb/housing handy, and the one on the shelf right now is aftermarket as well and cost ~$120. As I did with my other bulbs, I have already used it for ~1 hour in the projector as soon as I bought it. My theory is that this way I minimize the risk of "infant mortality" (and could return it right away if it fails) and get to make sure it looks ok (which it did.)

I've looked online and can now get aftermarket bulb/housings for $60. I've also found a seller claiming an OEM bulb/housing for the same price. I'll likely order one or two more bulbs at that price next year to keep the PJ going well into the future.

I'd been considering / looking at 4k models (mine's a 720p DarkChip 4 DLP), but the picture is so darn good (amazing blacks, terrific colours, all the brightness I'd ever want, etc.) on the one I have that I think I'll wait for quite a while before I do anything. And at $60 a bulb that could be a long time!

Jeff

I bought my last two bulbs for my JVC from Amazon. I think the second one cost me ~$90, IIRC.

John

yromj said:
I bought my last two bulbs for my JVC from Amazon. I think the second one cost me ~$90, IIRC.

John
Geez John, I could have sworn I checked Amazon!! I got what is supposedly a genuine JVC bulb from Amazon.ca for $55 Cad!! Sounds almost too good to be true. Will see when it arrives!!
Thanks,
Mike

Clearly this is not the right lamp for my JVC projector. Doesn't look like it and the instructions say "How to Replace a Rear Projection TV lamp". I guess the price was too good to be true!! I have never returned anything on Amazon so what is the procedure. I literally had to google RMA!! D'oh!! It says email within 7 days of shipping and request RMA. Am I emailing Amazon or Bulb World Canada?
Thanks,
Mike

There should be a link on the order summary on Amazon's site to request a refund. It'll create a return shipping label (which you print and attach to the box) and an RMA slip (which you'll put in the box). Once you request the refund you get something like 15-30 days to ship it back. I've done it a few times and nave never had a problem.

JeffMackwood said:
As I did with my other bulbs, I have already used it for ~1 hour in the projector as soon as I bought it. My theory is that this way I minimize the risk of "infant mortality" (and could return it right away if it fails) and get to make sure it looks ok (which it did.)

Jeff
Very good idea, take a quick slide down the first part of the bathtub curve! :handgestures-thumbup:

Kill The Weak!! :music-rockout:

Back