• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Laptop as a "Squeezebox"?

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
I can now stream music from the desktop to my laptop, but WMP doesn't work well with Flac, and I don't like the way Winamp organizes my tunes. So I was thinking of just making the laptop into another Squeezebox player if I want to hear some tunes on it.

Since the desktop has Squeezebox server on it, all I need to do is download the virtual player right? (Soft Squeeze?). I don't need the Server right? Where can you download Soft Squeeze? I don't see it on Logitech's site. Thanks.

Never heard of that... why not just put your music library on a shared folder from your desktop, mount it on the laptop, and play with something like MediaMonkey?

Yesfan70 said:
I can now stream music from the desktop to my laptop, but WMP doesn't work well with Flac, and I don't like the way Winamp organizes my tunes. So I was thinking of just making the laptop into another Squeezebox player if I want to hear some tunes on it.

Since the desktop has Squeezebox server on it, all I need to do is download the virtual player right? (Soft Squeeze?). I don't need the Server right? Where can you download Soft Squeeze? I don't see it on Logitech's site. Thanks.

http://softsqueeze.sourceforge.net/

PaulyT said:
Never heard of that... why not just put your music library on a shared folder from your desktop, mount it on the laptop, and play with something like MediaMonkey?

That's what I planned to do, but use Winamp since I already have it on my laptop. Seems none of the media player organize them the same way, so just thought about using the virtual player to have the same operations as a SB player.

Used to, you could download the virtual player for free and operate your desktop and/or laptop like you would a true Squeezebox (the program looked like a Transporter and the remote on the side for the controls). I did this a long time ago right before getting my first SB to see if I would like it or not. I may just download SBC and see if I can just use the Web interface. I guess I could always uninstall if it clashes with the SBC on my desktop.

Ah, cool. Learn something new every day...

Rope said:

Well, that sucks. I did download Squeezebox Server and to be honest, I'm just better off using Winamp. SBC is slow as hell on my laptop. I don't know if it's because of the desktop also having it (where the music is located), the desktop being slow, etc. so I'm just going to deal with Winamp.

mcad64 said:
Yesfan,
I think what you are after is now called Squeezeplay. It works quite well, IMHO.

Here is the link to it:

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/7.8/sp/9704/SqueezePlay-setup.exe

Mike

I think that's what I was needing. Just hope I also don't have to have SB server on the laptop (I have it on my desktop).

Frustrating as hell. I was hoping to get my PCs set to where I can rip/encode music on my laptop, but have it stored on my desktop's music drive, and be able to just use the laptop as another Squeezebox when I'm using it and want music in the background.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I can't seem to complete the connection between my desktop and laptop on my network. I can see the HDD I use for my music (it's connected to my desktop) when I open WE on the laptop, but I can't copy/paste music to it from the laptop or send music files to it. I keep getting 'administrative permission only' type warnings and things like that.

Yesfan70 said:
mcad64 said:
Yesfan,
I think what you are after is now called Squeezeplay. It works quite well, IMHO.

Here is the link to it:

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/7.8/sp/9704/SqueezePlay-setup.exe

Mike

I think that's what I was needing. Just hope I also don't have to have SB server on the laptop (I have it on my desktop).

Frustrating as hell. I was hoping to get my PCs set to where I can rip/encode music on my laptop, but have it stored on my desktop's music drive, and be able to just use the laptop as another Squeezebox when I'm using it and want music in the background.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I can't seem to complete the connection between my desktop and laptop on my network. I can see the HDD I use for my music (it's connected to my desktop) when I open WE on the laptop, but I can't copy/paste music to it from the laptop or send music files to it. I keep getting 'administrative permission only' type warnings and things like that.

You don't have to have SB server on the laptop. I only have SB server on my laptop which is attached to an external drive with all my music. The other 4 computers are just running Squeezeplay. You can also access your SB server by typing 192.169.0.XXX:9000 . XXX being your server IP.
As far as being able to rip or copy and paste to your drive with music, have you made sure you have allowed file sharing on that drive. You have to get on your desktop, and go to that drive and set it to allow file sharing. At least I believe that is the way it is done. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in.
Mike

Thanks Mcad,

There was an option to update SB server. I went ahead and it seems Logitech has done an overhaul on SB Server. The shortcut and icons are different. I think it's called SB Media Server now. I also had to do a firmware update on my players (first time for that). After updating SB Server on the desktop, I loaded Squeezeplay on the laptop.

Works very well! I still have to reload the SB app on my phone, but even if that doesn't work, I'm happy. Technically speaking, with Squeezeplay, I now have a 4th SB player. Awesome!

Glad everything is working Yesfan. And yeah, they changed the name yet again. Not to be nitpicky but I believe it is now called "Logitech Media Server" . ;)

mcad64 said:
Glad everything is working Yesfan. And yeah, they changed the name yet again. Not to be nitpicky but I believe it is now called "Logitech Media Server" . ;)

Correct. My bad. :oops:

Back