• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Late updates

garypf

Hello. Now on a break from work and school. I previously wrote about my frustration with electrical issues killing my electronics. Well I think I have solved it. I ended up buying the Panamax M5300-PM power conditioner. It works fantastically. The product boasts that it improves picture and sound. It seems to be doing both. I also bought a new receiver, the Yamaha RX-V679 (thanks to UPS for damaging my previous receiver which was on its way to the repair shop).
The RX-V679 is a more recent update of my last Yamaha. This unit boasts wireless internet connection, plays FLAC and DSD files via USB thumb drive, and you can also adjust surround parameters on your phone or tablet using the pinch method.
The Oppo BDP 103 went back to the factory and got a new circuit board, covered under warranty. Thanks Oppo!

Glad things are looking better for you. You sounded so defeated before. Now that you have the power conditioner can you tell if you were having wide fluctuations in voltage?

I have that same receiver. I love it.

I do notice it but its not as much as it used to be with the Monster power conditioner I had. The Panamax is more solidly built. Yep, that receiver is awesome.

So do you live in a very old home? What do you think is causing the power fluctuations? I would be very concerned about a problem like that.

Yes. Home built in 1971. Aluminum wiring. Two much overload in the kitchen causes the outlet (has a safety cutoff) to turn off, shutting off lights and the computers.

With the combination of aluminum wiring and electrical issues, I would consider a rewire. It may cost a bit and be a pain in the butt, but the added safety and security it will provide you and your family will be invaluable.

Randy said:
With the combination of aluminum wiring and electrical issues, I would consider a rewire. It may cost a bit and be a pain in the butt, but the added safety and security it will provide you and your family will be invaluable.

THIS!

The problem is not with the aluminum, it is with the connection points to copper.

There are special wire nuts and connectors specifically for aluminum to copper connections, you should be able to find them.

Then there are no worries!

Randy, we will eventually re-wire the house because it was not obviously designed for the increased use. Also, we will have to do it before we can have any chance of selling the house.
Heeman. I have done that when I bought the house.

heeman said:
The problem is not with the aluminum, it is with the connection points to copper.

There are special wire nuts and connectors specifically for aluminum to copper connections, you should be able to find them.

Then there are no worries!
"I did not know that!" [/Carson]

Back