• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

LCD/LED and the "Soap Opera" effect

The DirtMerchant

Famous
So, I am slightly considering a new display. I've noticed that motion/pans on LED TVs look a little strange to me. Sort of a unreal/smooth transition of whatever is moving on the screen. Did some googling and found the "Soap Opera" effect, which can be reduced/removed by changing the Motion Enhancement effect (whatever each company may call it) and it should be fine.

Is that ALWAYS the case? I suppose I will be testing this out myself in the store if/when I get a new TV, but is changing that setting the be all/end all? Because if I buy a new LED TV I couldn't keep it if that "soap opera" effect still happened.

IIRC, that's typically the case with that type of TV, but more noticeable on some than on others. Plasmas don't have that problem.

Is it kind of a "halo" or "wobble" around, say, a bird against a blue sky?
It bugs me a bit but I've noticed its not on Blurays, just on some TV/cable broadcasts.
Don't know how difficult it'd be to set up, but I'd love to see demos of different video artifacts, like Soap Opera vs. "film-like", "Judder", etc at a Get-Together. I've read the technical descriptions of many of these artifacts but the only one I know I can identify is the light halo effect around a bright object on a dark background, seen on my local-dimming LED set...

Some DLP sets are susceptible to a "rainbow" effect. I witnessed that in a showroom once - not good.

I've also noticed a "corrugated" effect, evenly-spaced thin lines on the diagonal on my local news, but they only occur on "on-the-scene" reporting, where I imagine the cameras are different from those in the studio.

All of the newer Samsung sets have a firmware update available that allows you to change the picture settings to remove the soap opera effect.

I have a 2011 Samsung UNC558000 and, after calibration, the PQ is so close to plasma it's scary.

D

I messed with one Samsung LCD that had the soap opera effect and removing the edge enhancement fix this. Plasmas do not suffer from such an effect.

Thw 240 hz tvs were made to help fix this issue and then created another issue so they made 480hz tvs. I think people basically gave up afterthat...

Back