• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

lcd or plasma

nats

i want to buy my son a 42 inch tv for his living room for x-mas. they now have a 36 crt so any tv will be a huge upgrade. plus save a ton of space. there are some incredible deals on 42 plasmas=panny=499. rca =399. there living room is usaully darker then most with not much direct light but an unshaded sliding glass door 20 ft. to one side bringing in medium light to tv area.would this work well or do plasma users need to keep all light out when using?

For the performance and value to be had I'd give the plasma a go given the environment you describe. If the what little light there is compromises the image, exchange it for an LCD...I still believe it's damn near impossible to best a plasma dollar for dollar.

I have plasma sets in my living room and bedroom. Glare is not as big an issue as some people make it out to be.

The screens are reflective but as long as there isn't a beam on light where the screen will be you should be okay. If it is a problem than a mount that allows you to tilt the screen slightly should alleviate it. A tilting wall mount is about $20 at mono price. If you're not keen on bolting it to the wall there are inexpensive TV stands that incorporate wall type mounts for TVs.

great,sounds like a winner, this is where this site is so valuable, when asking advise on items i havent been researching and need unbiased real life opinions. thanks

Towen7 said:
I have plasma sets in my living room and bedroom. Glare is not as big an issue as some people make it out to be.

The screens are reflective but as long as there isn't a beam on light where the screen will be you should be okay. If it is a problem than a mount that allows you to tilt the screen slightly should alleviate it. A tilting wall mount is about $20 at mono price. If you're not keen on bolting it to the wall there are inexpensive TV stands that incorporate wall type mounts for TVs.

:text-+1:

Another thing is some plasmas will have an anti glare screen. My Panasonic has one and it's in a fairly lit room.

Yesfan70 said:
Another thing is some plasmas will have an anti glare screen. My Panasonic has one and it's in a fairly lit room.
My LG LED (which is an LCD) also has an anti-glare screen, which I'm very glad the salesman pointed out.
I've stated this somewhere already, but in my latest Consumer Reports the Pannies took top marks in Reliability under both LCD and plasma. Happy shopping!

Back