• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Leak: Boxee TV

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/8/3474602/boxee-tv-live-hdtv-antenna-dvr-apps

I'm still waiting for something like this to come on the market (there was another device that I posted about that was supposed to be out by now, but isn't and I can't remember the name of it). I think I could program enough stuff OTA throughout the day to keep me entertained for an hour or two at night; plus, I've kind've given up on CNN as my news source and have gone back to CBS.
Wish the article said more about what Wifi apps it will come with, but I understand its still beta.
(and I'm SOOO glad Boxee lost that hideous trapezoilla-shaped monstrosity their first box was designed in) :barf:

Very interesting.

It is already becoming apparent that with the move, Netflix and Amazon Prime expanding their selection and what appears decent upgrades to Hulu, addition of the listening room which i am using alot and just lack of watching "broadcast/cable" TV DirecTV may be on the way out.

Something like this would be good except OTA reception for me is piss poor.

Botch said:
(and I'm SOOO glad Boxee lost that hideous trapezoilla-shaped monstrosity their first box was designed in) :barf:
I have one and I think it's a cool looking device :p

lulimet said:
Botch said:
I have one and I think it's a cool looking device :p
Your audio shelving must have more space than mine... ;)

mzpro5 said:
Very interesting.

It is already becoming apparent that with the move, Netflix and Amazon Prime expanding their selection and what appears decent upgrades to Hulu, addition of the listening room which i am using alot and just lack of watching "broadcast/cable" TV DirecTV may be on the way out.

Something like this would be good except OTA reception for me is piss poor.

Completely agree!

If it were not for piss poor OTA I would have jumped ship earlier this year.

I am currently looking at getting an outdoor tv antenna, supposedly they work wonders.

All I have used for years is OTA. I have read about the earliers boxee's....not impressed.
All program providers should get scared........their R&D depts are dead...........not looking ahead..........
I get around 15 digital channels....just from Austin & I don't pay anyone to view local programming.
Sure wished I could stream the ESPN channels.....but it is a pay-to-view channels............

Botch said:

I'm still waiting for something like this to come on the market (there was another device that I posted about that was supposed to be out by now, but isn't and I can't remember the name of it). I think I could program enough stuff OTA throughout the day to keep me entertained for an hour or two at night; plus, I've kind've given up on CNN as my news source and have gone back to CBS.
Wish the article said more about what Wifi apps it will come with, but I understand its still beta.

Botch, is that device ...Microsoft's Q which if I remember is Windows 8....can't remember the details?

Barney said:
Botch said:

Botch, is that device ...Microsoft's Q which if I remember is Windows 8....can't remember the details?

Simple TV

Thanks Chuck! :handgestures-thumbup:

Being that their website is now blank, sounds like they didn't make it.

Botch said:

Hmm, the link in your original post works for me...

Botch said:

It came up for me as well.

Okay, it worked the second time for me too, looks like its just about ready for market.

I would have a small problem in my particular installation: the unit needs to be hard-wired to my router. My router is in the basement where its connected to the KomKrap Kable, while my OTA antenna cable comes out upstairs on the main floor. I'm ready to drop my Comcast for TV, but I still need it for high-speed intranetz, so the router would stay downstairs.
Hmm...

:text-link:

Available next month for $99.

Looks like the DVR function isn't local but will store content in the cloud... For $15/month... If you live in one of eight initial markets.

No Limits DVR, which means you will be able to record to the cloud and have “no limits to how much you can record and no limits to where you watch.”

That was the good. As for the bad, the No Limit DVR will initially be available in eight markets — Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, New York City, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. — with unspecified additional markets coming next year. Furthermore, the DVR subscription will set you back $14.99 per month.

(insert sad trombone sound here)

Towen7 said:
Looks like the DVR function isn't local but will store content in the cloud... For $15/month...
That's a deal breaker for me. No way I'm paying them $15 a month for the DVR ability when I can do that for free with WMC on my 360.

Towen7 said:
(insert sad trombone sound here)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJxCdh1Ps48[/youtube]

Yup, that's not what I was hoping for at all; it's just a slightly cheeper TiVo with that monthly fee.... :snooty:

lulimet said:
Towen7 said:
Looks like the DVR function isn't local but will store content in the cloud... For $15/month...
That's a deal breaker for me. No way I'm paying them $15 a month for the DVR ability when I can do that for free with WMC on my 360.

To be fair ... Using the 360 as an OTA DVR requires a tuner card in a networked PC and you don't have unlimited cloud storage, nor can you access that content from anywhere.

Back