• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

LG BP125 audio out issues

smgreen20

It's not really the LG's fault. I got it so at Walmart on the black friday special for $38. Didn't know anything about it really other then I wanted a different Bluray player as to not use my PS3 every time. The box had nothing on it's output options. I get home and open it to find that the ONLY outputs it has is an HDMI and a SPDIF.

My problem lies with the audio out portion. My Sony HT (SAVA900) only has low level and Optical Toslink audio in. My TV, a Magnavox 42mf###, only has the same SPDIF that the LG has.

I tried running the amp out on the TV to its speakers and modded a set of RCAs to be a sort of hi-level to low-level converter. It was a fail. No audio output. Was there something else I needed to add in-line to the RCA conversion to make it work?

So here's how it's set up.
LG> HDMI> TV
TV speaker out> RCA converter cable> Sony HT

I was hoping that the audio would be sent through the HDMI from the LG to the TV and from the TV's speaker (amp) out to the input on the Sony HT.

In theory this should've worked right or am I missing something?

I don't really want to buy a SPDIF/toslink converter. Even at ebay costs that'll equal what I paid for the LG player to begin with. Anyone have any other ideas on what I could do to get audio to the Sony HT?

If all else, I'll give it to my parents for Christmas.

I don't quite get what a "modded RCA" cable is... the amp outs on the TV aren't RCA, and you're just putting in adapters of some sort? It may be that your TV doesn't do analog output for digital sources, not sure...

Most HDMI capable TVs have an optical out for audio. Connect the player via HDMI and inject the TVs optical out to your HT.

Towen7 said:
Most HDMI capable TVs have an optical out for audio. Connect the player via HDMI and inject the TVs optical out to your HT.
That's how I'm set up, although its for audio from my OTA antenna.

PaulyT,
My modded RCA cable in the car audio world is what is refered to as a cheap hi to low level converter. Both the amp signal (HI level, output) and the RCA (low level signal/output) signal are in ACV so other then the difference in output level, they are the same. In theory it should work.

Towen7,
My TV has the same SPDIF output that the LG player has, no (toslink) optical.

To further clarify, my TV and LG Bluray player both have ONLY SPDIF for the audio out, my Sony HT only has optical (toslink) and low level/RCA inputs.

Uh... Is that "hi-low" conversion necessary? IOW, the TV's not putting putting out a speaker level signal right - e.g. it's not acting as an amp. Is there really a difference in the signal the TV is putting out (what's the connection type?) and what you'd use as a regular line-level input to the amp? Can't you just hook them directly? If that's not the case, either you have a really weird tv, or I'm still missing something fundamental here. Home audio has basically two types of (analog) signals, line level and speaker level, nothing else that I've heard of. (well ok headphone output but that's sort of in between... but I'm assuming that's not what we're talking about here)

Let me do the conversion (home to car audio speak) for you, ;)

Line level = low level
Speaker level = High level

Line level is still output in an AC waveform, so is Speaker level, but at a higher voltage, hence the High level speak.

The 2 forms of audio out my TV has is the L&R amplified speaker outs and a single SPDIF.

The only forms of audio in that my HT has is one Optical (toslink) and 2 line levels.

I have to "bridge" the two together (not as in summing two chs into one), but bridge the gap I guess, somehow from the TV to the HT. The only way I see doing that short term/cheap is a hi to low level converter. I'm trying not to spend more on the SPDIF cable, and converter from SPDIF to Toslink. That combined will cost as much as the LG player did.

If I can't, I guess it's no big loss. My parents don't have a Bluray player yet, so it would end up being a Christmas gift for them. He has an LG TV and I know it has a SPDIF input and output.

Ok, so your TV is in fact putting out speaker level, e.g. you could hook speakers up to it directly? That's interesting, I didn't know any TV had that capability... That was my point of confusion.

What model TV do you have? Are you SURE it's speaker level? Are the speaker terminals spring clips or binding posts?

I haven't seen a TV w/ speaker level outputs in a long time (a decade or more). It would be really difficult to do in a flat panel because of the space required for an amplifier.

John

I'm not going to worry about it anymore. I'm going to give it to my parents for Christmas. My step-dad isn't going to get his unemployment as long as he thought, only by a month, and money is going to be tighter for them then they thought until his retirement starts in Feb.

Thanks for the help though.

Back