• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Light Dimmers

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
I've got just a simple light in the middle of the ceiling of my HT/living room. It's on a dimmer switch. I was an early adopter of the Edison-base fluorescent bulbs, but quickly learned that they don't work with dimmer switches.
Since then, I'd read about newer fluorescents which can work with dimmer switches. Another incandescent burned out today, so I went to Home Despot and picked up a couple fluor's that can be used with dimmers (wow, the price has come down since the last time I bought).
Unfortunately, they buzz (the lights themselves, not my system) whenever I use the dimmer. Not as bad as the early bulbs, but still enough to where I wouldn't use them dimmed during a movie (I don't care for a completely dark room while watching movies).
I know a lot of you with dedicated theaters have sconces on the side wall; are they dimmable and what kind of light is in them? Do they make dimmable LCDs? (I'm pretty sure LCDs will eventually replace the fluorescents, which contain mercury).
I guess an oil lamp would work; what goes around, comes around! :happy-smileygiantred:

Forgot to mention, regular edison-based incandescent bulbs will be taken off the market in 2012, unless they're the candle-shaped bulbs (or possibly the globe-based style used in bathrooms, can't remember for sure).
Hmm, maybe I need some candle-shaped nightlights in spare outlets... :think:

I too tried the dim-able florescents and they didn't work at all.

So, I'm still using incandescent bulbs.

Dennie

The only real way to go about it is using non-Edison type bulbs. I use mini flood lights around the perimeter of my room, and halogen in the ceiling. Triac dimmers are always iffy since they operate on PWM principles which create basically pulse-type waves with very steep transitions; a sure recipe for EMI/RFI interference. I do what recording studios do; I use VARIAC dimmers everywhere. They are the only way that's guaranteed to not cause any buzzes or other interference. They're rather expensive, but sometimes you can find them at electronics surplus outlets for relatively cheap.

I had some issues with the actual bulbs "ringing" in my theater, too. Lutron's literature suggested using a lower wattage bulb. Sure enough when I switched to a lower wattage bulb, the ringing stopped.

John

There is a line of LED lamps that are dimable. I have seen them at Loews but have not paid the 10 dollars to try one. I also prefer to run a halogen or daylight bulb for the better color support.

I for one have used Lutron dimmers on power cords laid in the room for 50 to 100 feet and with three 300 watt halogens, this dimmer is a heavier 1000 watt dimmer. I have not heard any artifacts in my audio. Most of the time my power for the lights runs along with the speaker wires and not a low line signal cable. When I run line level I usually run a balanced line from mixer to amp, or mic to mixer.

Back