• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Lillyhammer/ Netflix original anyone see?

Srvy

Netflix breaks new ground with streaming series
By MIKE HALE
The New York Times
Steven Van Zandt stars in
Steven Van Zandt stars in "Lillyhammer," an original series now available on Netflix.

The first thing you notice in “Lilyhammer” — before the presence of Steven Van Zandt, playing a less mannered version of his Mafia capo from “The Sopranos,” and before the sheep’s head lying in the road — is the big red Netflix logo.

It announces that this is a Netflix original series (its first) and that another front is being opened in streaming video’s war on television.

Netflix didn’t make “Lilyhammer,” a low-key black comedy starring Van Zandt, who played the stand-up guy Silvio Dante in “The Sopranos.” It was made by a Norwegian production company for the Norwegian Broadcasting Corp., which began showing it on Jan. 25.

But Netflix helped finance it, and this week all eight episodes of the first season have their U.S. premiere via streaming video. If you want to watch them on a television, the set will have to be connected to Netflix — but it won’t have to be connected to a cable company.

Pretty soon such things will go without saying. For now they’re still novel, and “Lilyhammer” is both a trailblazer and an interesting test case. It may be a Netflix property, but it’s a traditional TV show, and the episodes are about 50 minutes long, far beyond the norm for a Web series.

“Lilyhammer” is most distinctive simply for being a foreign show presented in its original form, with subtitles (though a good share of the dialogue, including nearly all of Van Zandt’s, is in English). That’s something virtually unheard of on mainstream U.S. television. The possibility of increased access to current foreign-language TV, beyond newscasts and Asian cartoons and soap operas, is a good reason to root for the streaming services.

So how is “Lilyhammer”? Odd mostly. It tries to combine elements of American mob stories and Scandinavian mysteries, seasoned with frequent overt references to “The Sopranos,” but the mixture is pretty flat in the first episode.

The jokey premise is that Van Zandt’s Frank Tagliano, having ratted out his boss, goes into witness protection and asks to be sent to Lillehammer, site of the 1994 Winter Olympics. He can’t pronounce its name, but he has a vision of the city as a Valhalla of cleanliness, rationality and order. The truth on the frozen ground is different, of course: grifters, perverts and punks slouching and grouching through life in a rules-bound nanny state.

With the new name Giovanni Hendriksen, he starts to set things straight in his no-nonsense manner, and there are some chuckles in the way Van Zandt and the filmmakers capitalize on gestures and expressions familiar from “The Sopranos.” (“Oh! Ohhhhh!”) But overall both the deadpan humor and the occasional bits of violence are tepid. It doesn’t feel as if the show’s makers had trouble settling on a tone; it feels as if they couldn’t muster the energy to come up with one.

Van Zandt is quite likable, but as an actor his resources are limited, and it’s asking a lot of him to carry a television-size series that shifts between tough-guy poses and culture-clash comedy, with middle-age romance thrown in. It doesn’t help that the abrupt shifts between English and Norwegian (which Giovanni apparently understands but hardly speaks) are unnatural and distracting.

Giovanni’s discovery of the sheep’s head in the road is amusing (and promising), but it’s undercut by a flat-footed, unnecessary explanation: “For a moment there I thought I was going to have to give Johnny Fontane a movie part.” We’ve seen “The Godfather” too. Funnier is a sequence in which Giovanni and his fledgling crew dispose of a dead wolf, weighing it down with rocks as if it were a wiseguy in the Meadowlands.

In Norway nearly a million people watched the first episode of “Lilyhammer”; proportionally, that’s about equal to the 58 million who watched the Giants beat the 49ers a few days earlier in the United States. However well the show does through Netflix, Van Zandt may be able to add another distinction to his resume alongside “Sopranos” star and Bruce Springsteen sideman: the David Hasselhoff of Scandinavia

srvy,

how do we see it tho? via netflix streaming or is this a premium/local channel?

interesting. i saw it recently, but couldnt recall the main character reminded me of the deadwood guy...

jomari said:
srvy,

interesting. i saw it recently, but couldnt recall the main character reminded me of the deadwood guy...

It is a program on NF streaming. Just do a search for Lillyhammer and you will be able to add to your que/watch.

I watched the first ten minutes but had stuff to do so will really watch later.

mzpro5 said:
jomari said:
srvy,

It is a program on NF streaming. Just do a search for Lillyhammer and you will be able to add to your que/watch.

I watched the first ten minutes but had stuff to do so will really watch later.

copy that buddy.

Will add it on later when i hit the house.

Thanks!

I just got done watching the first episode of this and I really like it. A solid B maybe even a B+.

It reminded me a bit of Northern Exposure, ya know New Yorker moves to a small Alaska town but in this case the New Yorker is a mob guy and it is in small town Norway. Like Northern Exposure it has plenty of humor and light drama.

Steve Van Zandt in essence plays his Silvio character from the Sopranos. Same speech, similar clothes, bit of a tough guy.

If you get NF streaming definitely check it out. The only problem I have with it so far is there are only 8 episodes available right now. I'll get thru those quickly.

mzpro5 said:
I just got done watching the first episode of this and I really like it. A solid B maybe even a B+.

It reminded me a bit of Northern Exposure, ya know New Yorker moves to a small Alaska town but in this case the New Yorker is a mob guy and it is in small town Norway. Like Northern Exposure it has plenty of humor and light drama.

Steve Van Zandt in essence plays his Silvio character from the Sopranos. Same speech, similar clothes, bit of a tough guy.

If you get NF streaming definitely check it out. The only problem I have with it so far is there are only 8 episodes available right now. I'll get thru those quickly.

Sounds promising I want to catch it but NCAA B-Ball keeps getting in the way.

on second episode, and find myself writing as i watch this 10 minutes to midnight.

ive never seen the sopranos, and well, mobster films arent really my gig.

nonetheless, my first impressions was that it felt like a b movie and well, started a bit boring. of course, needed to establish who the characters are, but it worked well afterwards.

im not used to the main character, but he does seem to grow on me.

it doesnt captivate as much as a number of other television series ive seen. but hey, have to give it a chance.

Thanks Jomari ive got in my cue but havent gotten around to watching yet. Like you ill give it a go see if it captures my interest.

spoilers ahead!!!

few observations after watching up to episode 5 (been watching all night and almost after lunch)...

its a bit on the crude side - a lot of things that can be polished, and quite frankly, im still getting used to the main character. he can be puttin off a bit more than i want, and the idea behind muscling his way into EVERY situation gets to be a bit boring.

im liking it a lot despite its crudeness, the characters, the plotline seems a bit thin. but what gets to me is that they are trying to accomplish a LOT, too much, too fast within a given time frame. no chance to let the OTHER characters grow. in this case i seem to be reading most of who they are, and based on their characters, its not as deep as i want them to be. i need it to slow down a bit.

for what its worth, i wish they make some of the characters more 'approachable'.

finished the season last night, and well...

its a B movie. plain and simple.

plot lines thin as f*ck, characters are getting a bit on the dry end, and well, aside from the whoo the norwegian language can give me, its highly unlikely im watching it over again.

in each episode, i think its just a matter of who's arm to twist this time, and what happens next to the wise guy.

Nonetheless, it was fairly enjoyable, but i can go back to deadwood in a heartbeat.

Give it a try, you might like it. :handgestures-thumbup:

Back