• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Little Guy Listening to Dad's New Cans

Batman

Staff member
Famous
This is my youngest son Zachary enjoying music from Batman Begins on my new Denon AH-D2000s. My enthusiasm for Zing's 7000s prompted me to go with these. I ALMOST went on Amazon and ordered those 7000s on the spot back in August. Ultimately I went with these due to price/performance and anticipated usage. For the money, I'm glad I went with these because I still have other toys I would like to acquire... :music-listening:

1fcb32ad.jpg

a3c22af9.jpg

Denon AH-D2000

I had a chance to hear the D2000s this weekend and, frankly, I'm almost pissed!

If you remember, these were the 'phones I was interested in; seemingly identical to the D5000s except for the mahogany cups. Then, after I read two glowing reviews of the new D7000s, I found them for about 35% off so I jumped.

After comparing the two, the ONLY difference I could hear was the fact that the 7000s were slightly louder at the same volume level. Whether that was an impedence or efficiency issue, I don't know - haven't looked it up yet - but every other aspect of the D2000 was too close to the performance level of the D7000 to be able to differentiate.

Rope...Yesfan - if you want to experience the superior sound of the Denons, at $200+, the D2000s are a no-brainer.

Re: Denon AH-D2000

Zing said:
........Rope...Yesfan - if you want to experience the superior sound of the Denons, at $200+, the D2000s are a no-brainer.

I'll have to check those out. You all know I'm a pretty big fan of AKGs. I miss my 701s and have been eyeing the newer K240s. I'll put the Denons on my "short list" when I get around to looking for another pair. Wireless cans have me interested too (I know the D2000s and K240s are wired), as it's hard to really hear the TV with the wife, kid, and dog in the same room. :doh:

Those Beyers look cool too, but the 600 Ohm rating has me thinking they are not "DAP friendly".

Re: Denon AH-D2000

Yesfan70 said:
Zing said:
Those Beyers look cool too, but the 600 Ohm rating has me thinking they are not "DAP friendly".

You are correct. The only 600 Ohm Beyers that I have extensive experience with are my T1. I owned the 250 Ohm DT-880 at one time and they demanded more power from a SS portable amp than Senn HD650...which is far from DAP friendly.

My OTL design tube amp is geared toward high impedance (300-600 Ohm). My T1 sounds excellent and is faithfully driven by my WA3. I run into problems with low impedance headphones (like my JVC DX1000) with the OTL since the output impedance is higher than the headphones impedance. Problems such as lost power and lack of bass control. The difference between the amps output impedance and the headphones impedance tells you how efficiently power transfers from the amp to the headphones.

Many people think that low impedance headphones are always easy to drive and gets more difficult as the impedance increases. Impedance tells you about power transfer. The headphones sensitivity will also factor in.

Back