• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Long Night 5.1 Set-up and Playtime!

heeman

PRETTY HAPPY.........
Famous
Long night guys!

I will attempt to learn more about this TX-NR708 Receiver and begin some sort of pre-calibration tomorrow and into the weekend. Any hints and tricks would be greatly appriciated!!

Attachments

• 1103100006.JPG
    1103100006.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,026
  • 1103100007.JPG
    1103100007.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,026
Nice. Now all you need is a bigger TV! :happy-smileygiantred:

:banana-rock: :banana-rock: :banana-rock:

A great feeling, ain't it? :handgestures-thumbup: :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Botch said:

I feel like I have a pretty big learning curve with calibration and setting choices with this AV Receiver. First one, so I guess it is to be expected.

Made some progress last night.... :angry-banghead:

heeman said:
Botch said:

I feel like I have a pretty big learning curve with calibration and setting choices with this AV Receiver. First one, so I guess it is to be expected.

Made some progress last night.... :angry-banghead:

The settings are really easy and the Onkyo OSD menu is is as easy to navigate as I have seen.

The OSD is great, however the challenging thing here is....................

When the receiver detects a Dolby Digital 5.1 Input, what mode should be chosen. THX Cinema; THX Music; Dolby Digital............etc????

I also notice that when a new signal is received it shows a brief dialog as Norm with a dB Setting? I did not see reference to what the receiver is doing at this point.

All in all very happy with the Onkyo, not really sure if I understand the basic and advance settings.

I have turn off all of the video processing and will not use the Internet Capabilities at all in the near future, was just looking for a good Pre/Pro.

One other annoyance.......I have a Onkyo Stereo Receiver in the same area that must be on the same remote frequency. So when I turn one on, the other comes on also, do any of you here know of a solution for this???

heeman said:
When the receiver detects a Dolby Digital 5.1 Input, what mode should be chosen. THX Cinema; THX Music; Dolby Digital............etc????

Each of the THX modes does slightly different things to the output. The Cinema mode is supposed to simulate a big theater space. The Music mode is supposed to simulate a concert hall. Try each and see if you prefer one or the other in different situations. Personally, I prefer to leave a DD signal alone and use the DD output mode.

Towen7 said:
heeman said:

Each of the THX modes does slightly different things to the output. The Cinema mode is supposed to simulate a big theater space. The Music mode is supposed to simulate a concert hall. Try each and see if you prefer one or the other in different situations. Personally, I prefer to leave a DD signal alone and use the DD output mode.

:text-+1:

I find it easiest to leave the processor in DD (Dolby Digital) mode and it takes care of everything else. If it receives a stereo signal, it automatically uses Dolby Pro logic to simulate 5.1, etc. That is how my Pioneer Elite works.

Lookin' Good Heeman! :bow-blue:

Dennie

heeman said:
One other annoyance.......I have a Onkyo Stereo Receiver in the same area that must be on the same remote frequency. So when I turn one on, the other comes on also, do any of you here know of a solution for this???

I had a similar problem when I had Dish network. My neighbor had Dish installed and his UHF remote was changing my receiver too! :angry-cussingblack:

I called Dish and we changed my settings on my receiver and solved the problem. Maybe call Onkyo and see if something like this is possible?

Dennie

Page 54 of the owners manual addresses changing the remote frequency when you have conflict with other Onkyo devices.

I missed it, someone on the AVS Forum pointed it out to me!! :eusa-clap:

heeman said:
Page 54 of the owners manual addresses changing the remote frequency when you have conflict with other Onkyo devices.

I missed it, someone on the AVS Forum pointed it out to me!! :eusa-clap:

:handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

Back