• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

LOTR: EE Blu-Ray

yromj

I picked up my copy yesterday (the 28th- the day of release) and watched part of it last night. I thought the video was great. Along w/ the increased detail, the colors seemed to pop more to me.

As for the sound...have any of you guys watched any of it yet? Check out the scene where the ring is chopped off or Balin's tomb. I'm going to withhold comment so I don't influence anyone. I'm curious about your thoughts, though.

John

Mine's on its way... my usual demo scene is the Balrog. Though there's also a good surround demo shortly before that when they're hiking through the mountains and a flock of crows flies over.

How much did you guys pay? Caue I debating on rushing to buy this one knowing that in six months the price will be half of what it currently is. Like the original Blurays when they first came out where like 90.00 now you can buy them for 10.00/ea

Got it from amazon @ $70. I'm sure you'll b e able to get it for a lot less esp. used in 6 months... I'm just impatient. ;)

I'm waiting because the series is such a long exhausting movie to watch, that I know since I say the DVD EE versions last year, I can wait awhile to see it again. GF never saw the movies so we made it a long weekend event and watched one movie per night. She liked it but wasnt into it as much as me. Looking forward to the two part 'Hobbit" when it comes out in 2012 and 2013. My GF's brother lives in New Zealand and says they have already started filming there.

I payed $70 @ BB. It's on special for $69.99 and somebody put a $5 coupon for BB around here somewhere.

John

MatthewB said:
I'm waiting because the series is such a long exhausting movie to watch, that I know since I say the DVD EE versions last year, I can wait awhile to see it again. GF never saw the movies so we made it a long weekend event and watched one movie per night. She liked it but wasnt into it as much as me. Looking forward to the two part 'Hobbit" when it comes out in 2012 and 2013. My GF's brother lives in New Zealand and says they have already started filming there.

I'm going to wait until the price drops. By then, maybe I'll have Bluray downstairs and a pre/pro with HDMI switching.

2012-13 for the 2 part Hobbit? Man, that would be great since the Avengers movie is also slated for a 2012 release. Looking forward to that one (and Captain America next month).

Sorta OT: The Hobbit is the only book I've read, cover-to-cover, in one day. I could not put that sucker down! :eusa-clap:

Anyone watched/listened to some of this yet? I watched all of Two Towers and noticed similar things as I did on the first one.

John

yromj said:
Anyone watched/listened to some of this yet? I watched all of Two Towers and noticed similar things as I did on the first one.

John

And what things are you referring to?

No, I'm saying there are differences in the sound and video between the blu-ray versions and the DVDs. Some of the differences I expected, others I did not. I want some other people to watch and listen for themselves before I comment.

John

Going to attempt a viewing of the complete LOTR EE today.

Got a pot roast in the crock pot and plenty of "movie snacks" to get me thru the day.

Awesome! I've been thinking of doing that someday, but I've got too many video games to play. :laughing:

mzpro5 said:
Going to attempt a viewing of the complete LOTR EE today.

Got a pot roast in the crock pot and plenty of "movie snacks" to get me thru the day.

Just finished TT. On a 15 minute break, have to check in with Mom and pay some attention to Yogi.

Pot roast should be done in an hour or so.

PaulyT said:
Awesome! I've been thinking of doing that someday, but I've got too many video games to play. :laughing:

By the time we are done with Skyrim, The Hobbit EE Bluray will be out... :)

D

So...has anyone noticed any differences in the sound of the BD vs. the DVD version? The LFE seems to have really been tamed in the BD version. (We'll have to play w/ this at the GTG, btw.) For example in TT, when the wall is breached w/ the big explosion the bass seems much less impactful than on the DVD. If I recall correctly, the big stone that lands after it is blown into the air has more bass in its impact than the actual explosion does.

John

Back