• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Loudest!!!

heeman

PRETTY HAPPY.........
Famous
Randy's comment about a Jeff Beck Concert being loud got me to post this (from Wikipedia):

Decibel records

1969 Led Zeppelin's "Heartbreaker" is said to have reached 130 dB (SPL) observed by a team of participants at the American Speech–Language–Hearing Association.[3] Daniel Kreps of Rolling Stone argues that "Whole Lotta Love" established Led Zeppelin's reputation as one of the loudest bands of their time.[4]

1972 Deep Purple held the record and were recognized by The Guinness Book of World Records as the "loudest pop group" when in a concert at the London Rainbow Theatre their sound reached 117 dB. Three of their audience members were rendered unconscious.[5]

1976 The Who were listed as the "record holder", at 126 dB, measured at a distance of 32 meters from the speakers at a concert at The Valley (home ground of Charlton Athletic F.C.) on 31 May 1976.[6]

1980 The Australian hard rock band AC/DC once had a trademark of performing painfully loud. During Back in Black tour, they reached 130 dB at some gigs but since there were too many noise complaints, they turned the volume down later.

1984 and 1994 The heavy metal band Manowar is one claimant of the title of "loudest band in the world",[7] citing a measurement of 129.5 dB in 1994 in Hanover.[8] However, The Guinness Book of World Records listed Manowar as the record holder for the loudest musical performance for an earlier performance in 1984. Guinness does not recognize Manowar's later claim, because it no longer includes a category of loudest band, reportedly because it does not want to encourage hearing damage.[9][10][11][12] Manowar achieved a SPL of 139 dB during the sound check (not the actual performance) at the Magic Circle Fest in 2008.[13]

1996 Pioneering English House/Electronica band Leftfield became known for the volume of its live shows on the tour to support their debut album Leftism. In June 1996, while the group was playing at Brixton Academy, the sound system caused dust and plaster to fall from the roof. Sound volume was 137 dB.[14]

2007 British punk band Gallows allegedly broke Manowar's next to last record for loudest band in the world, claiming to have achieved 132.5 dB; however, this record was claimed in an isolated studio environment as opposed to live.[15]

2009 On July 15, 2009, in Ottawa, Canada, the band KISS achieved a SPL of 136 dB measured during their live performance (not the sound check). After noise complaints from neighbors in the area, the band was forced to turn the volume down.

I have gotten to the point where I always take earplugs with me to concerts now. I forgot them at Def Leppard (last show 6th row) and I regretted it.

I think Metallica's Justice Tour in '88 was the loudest show I've been too. If not, then definitely Kiss in '97 for their reunion tour.

Manowar :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

I'm surprised the guv'mint doesn't regulate this.

Supposedly Ted Nugent did an outdoor show wherein a local dairy farmer called to complain the noise was bothering his cows.
From four miles away!

Loudest show I've been to (and I forgot my cotton) was surprisingly, Todd Rundgren and Utopia. Not only loud, but distorted-like-that-16-year-old-punk-next-door's-car-stereo-in-his-Pinto nasty! Ears rang for three days.

The loudest shows for me have been Overkill in 07 and Exodus with Kreator last year in Philly. I left before Kreator (headliners) finished their set because it was way too loud.

Back